News   Apr 26, 2024
 191     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 442     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.3K     4 

Stockyards, The (30 Weston Rd. @ St. Clair, retail, Trinity, 2s, GreenbergFarrow)

This rendering has actual real-world retailers in it! Including, oddly, Coles, an Australian grocery chain.

There are some unanswered questions from the renderings - are the main entrances (particularly for those units with both internal lot and external access) oriented towards the street? Are window covering/treatment going to be as portrayed? The latter is very common for what I'd call "pseudo" street-oriented retail in the 905 (particularly among plaza/mall redevelopments) - that pretends to be urban friendly but really aren't.

AoD

Last edited:
There are some unanswered questions from the renderings - are the main entrances (particularly for those units with both internal lot and external access) oriented towards the street? Are window covering/treatment going to be as portrayed? The latter is very common for what I'd call "pseudo" street-oriented retail in the 905 (particularly among plaza/mall redevelopments) - that pretends to be urban friendly but really aren't.

AoD

Gerrard Square does this. They make you think the stores are oriented towards Gerrard Street but you can't enter any of them, or even the mall from there, except for the Tim Horton's. It's a terrible design.

And then there are cases (like the Shoppers on Keele south of here) where the once-open street-facing entrance is now closed, and all access is now through the parking lot. (Come to think of it, that's akin to what happened to a lot of early malls, from Cloverdale to Yorkdale on down: the "outside" entrance closed on behalf of the "inside" entrance--though in those cases, it was the so-called ped-oriented entrance winning over the so-called car-oriented entrance)

21 October 2012:

20121021164001.jpg

Don't let the gloomy weather and cellphone resolution impact your opinion of the development. Driving East on St Clair, the density and proximity to the street are in sharp contrast to the Home Depot on the south side.
IMAG0026-Copy.jpg

IMAG0027-Copy.jpg

IMAG0028-Copy.jpg

Don't let the gloomy weather and cellphone resolution impact your opinion of the development. Driving East on St Clair, the density and proximity to the street are in sharp contrast to the Home Depot on the south side.

You're right of course; this intersection is going to feel more mid-urban than it ever has. How we all feel about the effect once it's complete will depend greatly on the quality of the cladding, glazing, and signage. Traffic in the area is going to go from busy to nuts.

With all the traffic in the area already and new streetcars coming to St. Clair in the near future I can't wait to see St Clair slowly redevelop. This is great for the area. And when Georgetown finally electrifies and a station is eventually returned to the Junction, this area will reach it's full potential.

This development is certainly welcomed - it is almost the ideal big-box style development, although more urban changes could still be made. St. Claire is a great avenue, and I cannot wait to see its potential reached. Regarding the streetcar, though, are there any specific plans to extend it to Jane St.? Or are they waiting until a possible LRT would be built so they can connect the two? It seems to make sense to me to just extend it - Rockcliffe is such an under-utilized neighbourhood. I don't know much about it, though - why does it have some of the cheapest houses in Toronto and so much surplus land?

North entrance from Gunn's road.

View from Weston road.

From Weston Road. View of site from North East.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gerrard Square does this. They make you think the stores are oriented towards Gerrard Street but you can't enter any of them, or even the mall from there, except for the Tim Horton's. It's a terrible design.

An exceptionally brutal design. Gerrard itself, particularly where the mall meets the street, is barren.

Last edited:

Back