News   May 10, 2024
 548     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 404     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 477     0 

Star of Downtown, The (Willowfield/Norstar, 12s, Kirkor) COMPLETE

Agreed. This kind of tackiness belongs in North York. They might as well have built a giant lawn gnome on the property.

The stucco and detailing along the top and edges is reminiscent of "gentlemens' clubs" found in Etobicoke along Dundas.

Please don't go slagging off garden gnomes. Some of my best friends....

Agreed. This kind of tackiness belongs in North York. They might as well have built a giant lawn gnome on the property.

lol

The stucco and detailing along the top and edges is reminiscent of "gentlemens' clubs" found in Etobicoke along Dundas.

You mean the Queensway, or Mississauga if you do mean Dundas, but yeah, you're right on the money, it's the same aesthetic.

Cladding's going up....
October 5

downtownofstar.jpg

starclad.jpg

I wonder why any developer/architect would use stucco over precast (as both provide pretty much the same lousy aesthetic effect). Is one cheaper than the other? I would think that precast would be much more durable (and would not need either repaiting or reapplying after 20 years or so).

The developer will be long gone when the exterior needs to be redone here. The low prices for the units here definitely reflected the cost of land across from St. Jamestown, but they may also reflect the quality of the work being done.

People buying here were not being sold by the top-notch finishes, it was the rock-bottom prices that did it.

This would actually probably be a reasonably attractive building if just left like this:

starclad.jpg

The stucco doodads are gonna be brutal.

As brutal as it clearly is, I would take a unit here over the wind tunnels at Shi**yPlace in a heartbeat. This area borders Cabbagetown and Rosedale and is a brisk jog to Yonge Street. Shi**yPlace truly is a modern ghetto.

/\ Im sorry but....MAN this thing is gonna be brutal!

The pale red building behind is brutal.

Ironically, Alanis, purchasers of south-facing units in the brutal Scar of Dntn will be staring out their windows at that brutal pale-red beast. It doesn't always pay to be looking out of the ugliest building on the block...

Maybe we've been too hard on this one... It's really not THAT awful... Much better than everything else right across the street from it.

DSCN1183.jpg

DSCN1184.jpg

I agree it looks nice but that's only because it doesn't have the cladding yet. Too bad it can't stay as is.

Back