533     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 791     0 

Star: New Signs for the TTC

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Link to article

New signs for the TTC: Can you tell the difference?

May 30, 2008 04:30 AM
Tess Kalinowski
TRANSPORTATION REPORTER

Take it as a sign of these brand-conscious times.

The TTC is piloting a simplified revamp of its street-level subway entrances that uses the TTC's traditional red pylon logo in silhouette.

The new design will be installed and tested at the northeast corner of the Osgoode station in April so the TTC can gauge public reaction.

"We have such an iconic image for the TTC, so we wanted to make sure when we do replace it we do it right," said TTC chair Adam Giambrone.

The pylon design dates back to the 1920s and was the visual cue that designers and TTC officials recommended following a brainstorming session at the Design Exchange in September.

It made no sense to replace the pylon given the public's emotional attachment to the symbol, he said.

If reaction to the sign is positive, it would become the standard for new stations as the subway is extended, and at new entrances such as one planned for Queen's Park station at the MaRS Discovery District on College St.

The pared-down pylon is meant to be easily seen and reduce the visual clutter that has grown along with the transit system, said Susan Reed Tanaka, TTC manager of engineering.

"What we would have is the TTC logo on the signpost, which attracts your attention to the location. And then the door, which is adjacent, has the station name, the line colour and the mode logo on it," she said.

It's still unclear whether the TTC would survey riders, the general public or design experts on the effectiveness of the new sign.

Whether out-of-towners recognize the TTC insignia "is something we'd probably have to study," said Reed Tanaka.

There's a lot riding on a strong TTC brand, Alex Bitterman, a professor at Rochester Institute of Technology, told participants at the Design Exchange session. A well-designed brand can give a big boost to transit ridership.

Santa Monica, Calif., for example, increased ridership by 400 per cent when it rebranded its system as the Big Blue Bus.

1973ee9f4eb994e40851e9214ab9.jpeg

The TTC is testing a simplified revamp of its street-level subway entrance signs. The proposed version is on the left, and the existing version is on the right.

Will it be hard to get the new station name to hover in mid-air like that? Otherwise, I like it!

They aren't really going to do this? I thought it was just an information report when I saw it at the TTC.

The sign doesn't even say Subway. How will this help anyone from out-of-town find the subway? Surely it's just a reduction on what is on the current signs.

They aren't really this stupid to do this are they?

Sigh, I'm tired of standing at Coxwell and Danforth and having strangers come up to me scratching their head and asking where the subway station is - this won't help.

In most major cities, transit is marked by a simple pylon such as the new signs (eg. Boston with its T, Paris and Metro) ...
... but then again, that's mainly because each station has so many transit possibilites that you would need to post a book outside listing all the lines that come into the station.

^ Did you even read the article?

Read:
it would become the standard for new stations as the subway is extended, and at new entrances such as one planned for Queen's Park station at the MaRS Discovery District on College St.

I think they look great and should really help improve the identity of the city.

They could add a simple "Subway" sign under the TTC logo, or use a version of the TTC logo used elsewhere on the system (such as on the older subway entrance signs) where the horizontal crosspiece is brought to the front and has "SUBWAY" written along it.

I think they look great and should really help improve the identity of the city.

They could add a simple "Subway" sign under the TTC logo, or use a version of the TTC logo used elsewhere on the system (such as on the older subway entrance signs) where the horizontal crosspiece is brought to the front and has "SUBWAY" written along it.

Now that would make me change my mind.

Now that would make me change my mind.

Agree with that; might as well give an indicator of what mode of transpo you're taking, just like the "U" for U-Bahn and "S" for S-Bahn. After all, such generic pylons have also been used on bus/streetcar loops, etc...

Does anyone know the history of the TTC logo?

I know that when the Toronto Transportation Commission came in existence, the full name was printed on each side of a vehicle.
ser71%5Cs0071_it10779.jpg

The full name was replaced with the stylized overlaying initials. And with the subway, the flying arms shield was used. Nowadays the shield is different colours.

However, I don't know the dates or circumstances.

Personally I don't support writing subway on that horizontal bar. I think it looks cluttered. I prefer the TTC sign as is. I don't mind the old signs, I just think writing "SUBWAY" is redundant.

Personally I don't support writing subway on that horizontal bar. I think it looks cluttered. I prefer the TTC sign as is. I don't mind the old signs, I just think writing "SUBWAY" is redundant.

Redundant to those who know what the logo looks like, or what it means... but to outsiders and people who don't frequently use transit, knowing what the sign stands for will help a lot.

Could say the same thing about Boston's Circled Ts, or New York's two-toned lit globes.

Until you know what it means, even the creative TfL Underground Roundel or Montreal's circled down arrow may even be ambiguous to a clueless tourist.

The Subway name will still likely be posted at the actual entrance door or stairs. I like the look myself.

I don't mind the old signs, I just think writing "SUBWAY" is redundant.
??? The old signs say subway - it's the new ones that wouldn't.

Though I really don't see the point of changing the signage every 10 years. Most stations haven't got the current generation of signs, or even the ones before. So there's a half-dozen different schemes going.

Why not be like Montreal - the new stations they just opened have the same signage as those opened in the 1960s.

I like the new signs a lot, and agree with the multiple comments about subway signs not generally having the word "subway" on them. It would be a sad traveller indeed who passed by a Black T in Boston or a blue U in Berlin not realizing it was a subway.

Back