News   May 23, 2024
 214     0 
News   May 23, 2024
 417     5 
News   May 23, 2024
 835     0 

St Lawrence Market

TY for your diligence, as always.

I'm putting in some queries w/staff to see if I can understand how this came to pass. We'll see what answer(s) come back, if any.
I have now been told that the St Lawrence Market BIA decided unilaterally that they did not like this idea (at least for winter 2023/24) as they did not have time to animate the street this winter. I find this VERY strange, though their argument has some validity, they were well aware that the plan was to have the street permanently closed and the motion to do so was on the TEYCC agenda 10 days ahead of time. I would say that legally the street is closed, in practice it is open!

EDIT. I have been corrected and told that the Councillor's Office knew the BIA were not ready to offer animation on Market Street this winter. What still puzzles me is why the BIA removed their barriers before the City could erect theirs

Last edited:
I have now been told that the St Lawrence Market BIA decided unilaterally that they did not like this idea (at least for winter 2023/24) as they did not have time to animate the street this winter. I find this VERY strange, though their argument has some validity, they were well aware that the plan was to have the street permanently closed and the motion to do so was on the TEYCC agenda 10 days ahead of time. I would say that legally the street is closed, in practice it is open!

Ridiculous.

81 Front St E. Where Au Pain Doré Bakery is located & former Starbucks. Just West of the market and LCBO (A&W)?
77&79 Front St.E too?
I didn’t pay enough attention.

Another few months of scaffolding to repair the facade. It’s like we live in Europe. 😀

Hopefully they don’t paint it white.
IMG_7689.jpeg

IMG_7691.jpeg

Will they touch the west wall?
IMG_7693.jpeg

The Gabby's on King at George has been reborn - and looks more upscale - which is not too hard!
Been watching this progress, they've done a really good job on the facade, especially compared to that previous awful flagstone hack job.

Do we know if this is still the same bar/business running under a new branding, or a totally different business?

Lower Sherbourne remains closed to northbound traffic from QQE to The Esplanade and the east sidewalk is closed at the rail bridge. This will apparently last for another 6-8 weeks when the west side will be closed. (Though, I think, there will still be no northbound traffic.) There will soon abe a complete overnight closure.
One Night Full Closure - Lower Sherbourne Street

"In efforts to facilitate some time-critical work when least disruptive to neighbouring communities, there will be a temporary closure of the southbound lanes on Lower Sherbourne Street, between Lakeshore Blvd to south of The Esplanade. This closure, in addition to currently ongoing northbound impacts would result in a full closure to vehicular traffic for one night only. Pending final approval this work could begin as early as Thursday, November 17 between midnight and 5 a.m. Noise impacts to the community will be kept to a minimum."

Now Lower Jarvis will be partly closed. See: https://assets.metrolinx.com/image/...abling_Works_Sidewalk_Closure_Oct_25_2023.pdf So far, only the west sidewalk but I expect the road will eventually need to be closed/restricted too.

Yonge remains constricted as the City continues to install a new watermain from QQE to Wellington. One side of bridge is closed and all traffic is on the west side.

Chris Moise's December Newsletter notes the result of his Participatory Budgeting exercise. I have some doubt about the whole idea but find the City estiate for panting a tree to be preposterous! @Northern Light may want to enlighted is, and the Coucllor!

View attachment 525961

Installed, those trees are worth $1,000 a pop max, unless they're paying for extraordinary size. But fine, lets double it, $80,000; so its $320,000 tor remove and replace the interlock? You must be kidding. That's at least $8,000 in labour and/or new interlock.

I'm going to do some digging here, but they have to be including something else in their estimate, this seems wildly high to me.

Installed, those trees are worth $1,000 a pop max, unless they're paying for extraordinary size. But fine, lets double it, $80,000; so its $320,000 tor remove and replace the interlock? You must be kidding. That's at least $8,000 in labour and/or new interlock.

I'm going to do some digging here, but they have to be including something else in their estimate, this seems wildly high to me.

So I consulted a couple of pros that do this type of work; they concur, that strictly for the trees and 'typical' associated works, this number seems bloated. They suggested that this has to involve extraordinary work beyond the trees such as entirely new interlock for each city block impacted. Or other changes (for instance replacing typical pits with open trenches/silva cells)

In summation, this may be a reasonable expenditure, but not for what is described.

Reactions: DSC

Back