645     3 
News   May 07, 2024
 449     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 375     0 

St. Jamestown Refurbishment

R

rdaner

Are the plans to spruce up the public areas of St. Jamestown still on the books? I remember a lot of press about it in the early 1990s but don't see anything today.

I wish they would take down some of those fences, and keep the grounds nicer. The basics are good, just been-done-wrong for 30 years.

IN the summer, people set up unofficial open air markets. That's good.

I never knew until this past weekend that the buildings are named after Canadian cities. I saw the Vancouver, Winnipeg and Halifax.

Some "sprucing up" would be good but there is a limit what can be done in such a heavily populated complex. With all respect Shawn I am not sure I agree that the "basics" are good. These are some hugely oversized and overpowering buildings, with a heavy concentration of public housing. Unfortunately it has become known as a haven for drug pushers. It will probably be an ongoing problem area. In hindsight (20-20 of course) a completely different physical concept would have been better.

"I never knew until this past weekend that the buildings are named after Canadian cities. I saw the Vancouver, Winnipeg and Halifax"

Really?

The Calgary - 325 Bleecker
The Edmonton - 275 Bleecker
The Halifax - 280 Wellesley Street
The Hamilton - 375 Bleecker
The Montreal - 200 Wellesley
The Ottawa - 650 Parliament
The Quebec - 730 Ontario
The St Johns - 700 Ontario
The Toronto - 77 Howard
The Vancouver - 240 Wellesley
The Victoria - 666 Ontario
The Winnipeg - 260 Wellesley

-might have to with it being the centennial year when the first towers were completed

I think there's something ironic in the fact that almost every building is named after a city some place else.

ObserverWalt,

Only four of the towers are public, while fourteen are privately owned (Including all of those named after Canadian cities, I believe). This really isn't a public housing neighbourhood, just a low-income one. Sort of like Thorncliffe Park.

When first built it was quite trendy, like City Place.

I always thought there was a real opportunity for the city on Howard Street and Park Road. There are some great buildings there, a number of them abandoned. I wonder if there wouldn't be some way of getting special grants for local residents to set up businesses in some of the buildings, like restaurants, at the same time closing the streets as much as possible to traffic. Given the convenience of the Sherbourne Subway, if it were promoted properly maybe it would work.

Back