News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 502     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

St Clair West

Is the old cinema still there around St. Clair & Vaughan? I think it was called the Vaughan, then it was called the Ritz in the early 80's and last I heard it was used as a TV studio

Splendid Moderne thing. Unfortunately, it was demolished in the mid-late 80s, replaced with that crummy bi-level strip mall with the amusing American Gothic knockoff XXX-video joint signage...

Then what's non-ugliness?

Deer park and South Forest Hill are the epitomy of non-eyesore. Corso Italia ain't bad either with it's cosmopolitan flavor. The western part however is deplorable but no more so than some areas of downtown (Parkdale anyone?) and especially Scarborough I think he's being way too critical.

Deer park and South Forest Hill are the epitomy of non-eyesore.
Even with the various ungainly conversions/replacements? Compared with the side streets, it *is* eyesoreish...

Corso Italia ain't bad either with it's cosmopolitan flavor.
But a shadow of what it might have been a quarter century ago. At this point, it's more cosmopolitan/sophisticated further E t/w Bathurst...

The western part however is deplorable but no more so than some areas of downtown (Parkdale anyone?) and especially Scarborough I think he's being way too critical.
Other than the underclass and psych patients wandering about, how is Parkdale "deplorable"? I'd imagine a lot of people finding it less terminal than Corso Italia at this point...

Other than the underclass and psych patients wandering about, how is Parkdale "deplorable"? I'd imagine a lot of people finding it less terminal than Corso Italia at this point...

Please, the buildings are decrepit and filthy-looking. I'm all for preservation but have some of their owners every heard of a coat of paint? CAMH looks like a war bunker, no wonder the paitents are depressed and suicidal... look where they live. The whole area looks run down, west of Dovercourt.

Forest Hill and Corso Italia have their unique charm but you're right it does get better the further inwards you travel i.e Regal Heights-Oakwood to Bathurst, south of St Clair or Foirest Hill north of Heath.

Please, the buildings are decrepit and filthy-looking. I'm all for preservation but have some of their owners every heard of a coat of paint?

Knowing you, you'd probably even prefer an industrial stucco job to the existing "decrepit and filthy-looking".

Ah, these Sunday-painter urbanists strike again, rubes from Bloor West Village and whatnot...

In the Junction, they removed the paint on James Hall at Pacific Avenue to the original brickwork. The windows are very modern and don't compliment the historic brickwork, but it's a great effort. Painting beats stucco because you can still see the brickwork but the best option is to not touch it in the first place. Maintaining the painted surface is also costly.

Actually Corso Italia/Earlscourt is quite multicultural. It is still the most "authentic" Italian area of Toronto - yes, they're a higher % of the population in Woodbridge - but the most "Italian" Italians still live in that area (similarly Staten Island probably has a higher % claiming Italian ancestry than Bensonhurst, Brooklyn). Yet they're only about a third of the population - this very working class area also has a large Portuguese, Latino and West Indian population.

Between Bathurst and Dufferin though, there is no dominant ethnicity in terms of commercial establishments and the atmosphere has more of a diverse feel. It also has more of a yuppie/high income component (though far from dominant) - which fades away the further you get from Bathurst.

Dentrobate, you are aware that Queen west of Dovercourt is the hottest development area in the city today?

That's only between Dovercourt and the Geogretown Line, from thereon it's a ghetto. The railway itself not to mention the unconventional (i.e. bizarrely grotesque) design of some of the new buildings brings down the appeal of the neighbourhood.

Knowing you, you'd probably even prefer an industrial stucco job to the existing "decrepit and filthy-looking". Ah, these Sunday-painter urbanists strike again, rubes from Bloor West Village and whatnot...

I'd take the naturalist look of Bloor West any day over concrete slabs with no soul, dammit :mad:! Seriously though paint diminishes the affects our climate has the aging process of buildings, so it's not for vanity purposes alone.

Sorry, I don't wish to disturb your ugly debate but does anyone know the status oftThe condo at Bathurst called the Forest Hill. UrbanDB says it's in excavation. Has anyone been past there lately?

Ghetto?!?!?

You truly are an amateur hick from the sticks, aren't you...

Golly y'all, me had no idear my tarnationing offendef you so!

How else could have I describe that neighbourhood? Old?... decrepit?... run-down?... dentrificated?... transient?

It's got good bones. In fact, better bones than Corso Italia at this point...

Ah, who cares. Given your level of sophistication, you'd probably find this rehab preferrable to said old/decrepit/run-down
DSCN1304.jpg

It's got good bones. In fact, better bones than Corso Italia at this point...

Ah, who cares. Given your level of sophistication, you'd probably find this rehab preferrable to said old/decrepit/run-down
DSCN1304.jpg

Have transit shelters made their appearance on the St Clair ROW yet?

Back