Square One Shopping Centre

It's been there for at least the last few years...Judging by the condition of the store exterior, I would imagine it's there by a combination of the two...

Does Sears Square 1 really have a green roof? Or did it just happen by neglect?

It may be there by design being that the northwest side has a green wall...
20100728b043.jpg

20100728b044.jpg

Crate&Barrel glass...
20100728b038.jpg

Last edited:
I noticed that Spencer Gifts in Square One is gone, which is unfortunate because it catered to alternative tastes and was one of the few reasons I ever went to that mall. Does anyone know if it relocated elsewhere or is it gone for good?

It closed a while ago. It's gone for good. It was only really ever busy around Halloween.

By the way, Hot Topic is now open in Square One. A Canadian first.

41346_415790041598_81437751598_5224570_6123568_n.jpg

so this is basically a new strip mall ... yes it looks nicer but this is how all stip malls are built across the GTA now.

Is this temporary?

so this is basically a new strip mall ... yes it looks nicer but this is how all stip malls are built across the GTA now.

Is this temporary?

Uh, strip mall? Where have you been? This is a nicer looking big box centre or power centre or whatever you want to call it. But it is not a strip mall. I mean, there's no "strip" so how can it be a strip mall?

Coliseum, Playdium, Jack Astor's, etc. are all classified as temporary. I'm not sure about this retail here. It may be, but until the retail has stuff above it, I wouldn't classify it as permanent forever. That said, these temporary structures sure can last a long time.

What, strip malls are so passe now :) In some aspects strip malls are better really if you think about it ... in many ways really - once you get past the parking lot at least there is at times a little pedestrian activity as all the stores are connected from the outside and there's typically a continuous sidewalk.

Yes power centers / big box centers / the home of the penguin (think smart centers) .. they're all the same, and it's really not a nicer looking one in any way compared to what's been built in the last 5 years throughout the GTA - it's nicer then say the power centers of 10 years ago.

If the rest are temporary - very long term so, I presume so is this, so that's fine then.

Back