1.1K     1 

Speakers have big dreams for Mississauga

khris

Member Bio
Reaction score
Speakers have big dreams for Mississauga

By: Craig MacBride

October 17, 2007 -
The night was about dreaming big for Mississauga, and the two speakers at the event did just that, proposing universities, a new downtown on the lake, gondolas connecting neighbourhoods, and more traffic congestion.

That's right, more traffic congestion.

Stephen Lewis, the former NDP leader and more recently the UN Special Envoy for HIV/AIDS in Africa, was the first speaker of the Our Future Mississauga Speaker Series. He was followed by former Winnipeg mayor and urban strategist Glen Murray.

Between the two of them, they had enough ideas to keep city planners busy for decades, but that is the point of the speaking series, and of the larger project that will involve residents in planning the big projects that will help Mississauga evolve over the next 40 years.

The most interesting idea of the night came from Murray. He was the one who proposed a series of gondolas traversing the city.

"Why not sky trains? Why not gondolas?" asked Murray, addressing the few hundred people who half-filled Hammerson Hall at the Living Arts Centre tonight.

"My God, this would be fun, and you'd have a spectacular view. It would be a lot sexier than riding the bus and would knock down some of those class barriers of riding the bus."

Murray also proposed a plan to turn the old site of the Lakeview Generating Station into a new downtown.

The old smokestacks on the site, demolished last year, were taller than the Eiffel Tower, so there should be no arguments about height restrictions on new buildings there, Murray said.

"Would that not be an ideal place for a new downtown?" asked Murray. "Learn all the mistakes of Hamilton and Toronto and get it right."

The idea for more post-secondary schools in the city came from Lewis, who was shocked that Mississauga only has one university, and a branch plant university at that.

"Mississauga will have a population of one million people very soon with only one university," he said. "Halifax, which is much smaller, has four distinctive universities."

Lewis's point about Mississauga arose again during the question and answer session, when one audience member asked what could be done about such a large city not having a daily newspaper.

Murray returned to Lewis's point about the city's lack of universities.

"Mississauga has a population base to sustain more than it does," he said.

Lewis added that being in the shadow of Toronto, with its numerous large schools, and large newspapers, makes it difficult for Mississauga to create its own identity in those areas.

The advocacy of increased traffic congestion came from Murray near the end of the three-and-a-half hour event.

"I think congestion is a great thing in a downtown," said Murray in answer to a question about how to build pedestrian-friendly boulevards while still keeping traffic moving. "All great cities have terrible transportation systems in their cores."

Murray said it makes people get out of their cars and walk, or take public transportation, which, in his dream scenario, would glide above the traffic on wires.

"You build wider roads and you end up with more traffic," Murray said. "You add another eight lanes and I'll bet you dollars to donuts we'll be sitting in traffic in three years and have more pavement we can't afford to repair."

The next speakers in the Our Future Mississauga series are Roberta Bondar, Canada's first woman astronaut, on Oct. 23, Justin Trudeau, youth advocate and son of former Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, on Nov. 6, and urban design consultant Jan Gehl.

For more information, visit www.conversation21.ca.

cmacbride@mississauga.net

Source

The idea for more post-secondary schools in the city came from Lewis, who was shocked that Mississauga only has one university, and a branch plant university at that.

"Mississauga will have a population of one million people very soon with only one university," he said. "Halifax, which is much smaller, has four distinctive universities."

My god Toronto only has one airport, and one that only allows prop planes at that. What's wrong with Toronto?

Wow, these guys are really out to lunch wrt Mississauga. They're shocked that a suburb of a large city doesn't have its own university? They're comparing Mississauga with Halifax? Clearly no appreciation for history and context. How could a "city" that was formed by the amalgamation of a bunch of little hamlets in the 70s be compared to a real city? Oh well... all will be well when the gondolas are up and running.

That article is both funny and tragic.

Here's how to make Mississauga a "real" city.

Hire 1000 cargo-lifting helicopters, and airlift the city somewhere in Ontario where it can make it on its own without being in the shadow of Toronto and all its big schools and newspapers. I suggest the north shore of Lake Erie, or on Lake Huron between Kincardine and Port Elgin.

I guess helicopters aren't needed. Doesn't Mississauga have an all-purpose contingency plan? A Plan "B"? It would get out of Peel Region!

Then bring on the gondolas and universities and a new downtown to replace the last downtown, Mississauga City Centre, which replaced Port Credit as the focal point.

"All great cities have terrible transportation systems in their cores."

Oh my gawd. Please send Glen Murray back to Winnipeg.

The only way Mississauga will have a population of a million is if they start tearing down some of the large, bland suburban spreads and replacing them with more urban structures. That, or they plan to annex Brampton with a swift move of the armed Hazel Hellions Rapid Urban Retrieval Force.

The old smokestacks on the site, demolished last year, were taller than the Eiffel Tower, so there should be no arguments about height restrictions on new buildings there, Murray said.

Clearly Mr. Murray needs to be better research. The Eiffel Tower stands at 324 meters, while the Lakeview smokestacks were 150 meters each.

Maybe he got confused comparing the Eiffel tower's metric height to the Lakeview smokestacks imperial height.

Some of the ideas in this article are just laughable.

:D

"All great cities have terrible transportation systems in their cores."
Oh my gawd. Please send Glen Murray back to Winnipeg.

What's wrong with that statement? It's true... No great city has massive multi-lane free-flowing arterials with turning lanes everywhere. Every great city has severe congestion and long travel times in its core.

In Mississauga, people on the sidewalks would be a start.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Hammerson Hall was only half full? When I enquired, I was told the event was sold out. :mad: Obviously I should have gone anyway.

Gondolas were literally suggested, seriously, during the "placemaking" exercises for the City Centre a year ago. Could work, on a small scale.

As for another university, why not? We had word just recently to the effect that another 50,000 or more university students will materialize in the GTA over the next decade. I seem to recall a lengthy discussion on this forum.

Hydrogen, apparently you haven't heard the news that Miss. will be tearing up all of its sidewalks and replacing them with urban gardens, as no one uses the sidewalks anyway.

What's wrong with that statement? It's true... No great city has massive multi-lane free-flowing arterials with turning lanes everywhere. Every great city has severe congestion and long travel times in its core.

Yeah, but if you're talking about transportation, great cities generally have great transit systems. And not so great cities also have great congestion. Look at Atlanta. Or Calgary. (ducks)

In Mississauga, people on the sidewalks would be a start.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

If they want to get people on the sidewalks, they need to stop all the buses from terminating and starting at Square One, and just stay on their streets.
Burnhamthorpe bus should not go into Square one. Same with the Hurontario Bus.
Then you will have more people making connections at intersections, and before you know it, there will be retail popping up at those intersections to get people to come in. Then you will have people walking on sidewalks.
Although to be honest, there are a lot more people walking on the sidewalks of Hurontario around Burnhamthorpe and south of Burnhamthorpe lately.

Back