Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Does anyone know what the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station announcement will be when it arrives? I would guess it would be something like:
"Arriving at Vaughan Metropolitan Centre, Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station" or "Arriving at Vaughan, Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station". Both of theses are extremely long announcements, its even longer than North York Centre Station. No wonder the TTC wanted to shorten it to "Vaughan Centre Station", but Vaughan was like "NAH!".
Don't forget it will also say "Arriving at Vaughan Metropolitan Centre This is a terminal Station"

"Arriving at Vaughan Metropolitan Centre, Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station, this is a Terminal Station"
You'll probably get to the station before it finishes saying it :D
Yeah it will probably get cut off with the door chines as it anounces which side of the train they will open on.

"Arriving at Vaughan Metropolitan Centre, Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station, this is a Terminal Station"
You'll probably get to the station before it finishes saying it :D

Yeah it will have to start saying its thing while the train is still leaving the previous station. Oh wait, but first it has to say what the next station is. This might not work!

Nice to hear such convincing arguments for keeping the GO station. So according to one student, "that's going to be a disaster." The subway is "not like GO, it's not rapid, it's not effective, you can't count on it."

And according to the manager of York transportation services, closing the station would add 20 minutes of travel time and encourage people to drive. She also denies Metrolinx statistics that only 225 people use the GO station per day.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Is there now a list somewhere of GO station ridership? I don't think I've seen one in the past.

They are not easy to find. But personally, I don't find it hard to believe that Metrolinx has incorrect ridership counts. I recall some old documents (i.e. this one; http://www.metrolinx.com/en/regiona...t_Rail_Parking_and_Station_Access_Plan_EN.pdf) that had some really odd numbers.

Take Long Branch for example, it has 282 parking spots with near 100% utilization (as a quick trip there will tell anyone), and 38% percentage of riders are supposedly drivers, but its 2031 ridership is only 100?

They are not easy to find. But personally, I don't find it hard to believe that Metrolinx has incorrect ridership counts. I recall some old documents (i.e. this one; http://www.metrolinx.com/en/regiona...t_Rail_Parking_and_Station_Access_Plan_EN.pdf) that had some really odd numbers.

Take Long Branch for example, it has 282 parking spots with near 100% utilization (as a quick trip there will tell anyone), and 38% percentage of riders are supposedly drivers, but its 2031 ridership is only 100?

Bring-on the PRESTO fare gates and let's count heads and put an end to this by-guess-and-by-god shit.

Yeah it will have to start saying its thing while the train is still leaving the previous station. Oh wait, but first it has to say what the next station is. This might not work!

And since its in Viva territory, maybe it will add: "For your safety, remain seated until the train has come to a complete stop. Please hold on to the handrails when leaving the platform area and obey all pedestrian signals after exiting the station. If transferring to buses, bus drivers will not stop to pick up passengers after pulling away from bays."

TYSSE. It's built. Say something positive about this first addition to Toronto's heavy rail transit network in over a decade.

Like...

1. Now there are two Ikeas on the subway network. (Leave aside that if the Sherway extension of Line 2 ever got built, there would be three.)
2. Or. If you live downtown without a car, you're closer to easily shopping at Bass Pro (Vaughan Mills)
3. Or - if you live in Vaughan generally, you now have access to all the jobs in Toronto on the subway line. And you won't be adding a car to the 401.
4. It's easier for your average Toronto teenager to get to Wonderland. If we didn't get a drive when I was a kid, it seemed to take half a day.

Sometimes, governments build things to create opportunities or change things. This wasn't cheap. But it won't be bad for anyone. Done right - and fare structure will be a big part of that - this could create fans and converts. The city (region) needs these transit evangelists as they are voters too and that can promote the idea that other parts of the city can win as well as transit is expanded in the GTHA.

Last edited:
TYSSE. It's built. Say something positive about this first addition to Toronto's heavy rail transit network in over a decade.

Like...

1. Now there are two Ikeas on the subway network. (Leave aside that if the Sherway extension of Line 2 ever got built, there would be three.)
2. Or. If you live downtown without a car, you're closer to easily shopping at Bass Pro (Vaughan Mills)
3. Or - if you live in Vaughan generally, you now have access to all the jobs in Toronto on the subway line. And you won't be adding a car to the 401.
4. It's easier for your average Toronto teenager to get to Wonderland. If we didn't get a drive when I was a kid, it seemed to take half a day.

Sometimes, governments build things to create opportunities or change things. This wasn't cheap. But it won't be bad for anyone. Done right - and fare structure will be a big part of that - this could create fans and converts. The city (region) needs these transit evangelists as they are voters too and that can promote the idea that other parts of the city can win as well as transit is expanded in the GTHA.
I would prefer to note that Canada's (not Toronto's but Canada's http://www.macleans.ca/society/life/canadas-10-biggest-universities/ ) second largest university now will have rapid transit right to campus.

EDIT: since the Maclean's article is a few years old I checked Wiki...so York is now the 3rd largest school in Canada...but still, connecting it is a good thing...no?

There will be a node - picking up on the underserved portion of northern Etobicoke - for the FWLRT to connect to at Finch West. Otherwise, it would be an even crappier longer ride east to ANYWHERE.

Faregates are being installed at York University station:

C5YGNGqUkAED2A9.jpg

from https://twitter.com/jmsker/status/834861889125363712

Back