Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Rerouting the 101 under your proposal would isolate it from the connecting buses available at Downsview station, which I suspect is the reason why the TTC prefers to maintain the current route. In the long run, I would say the best solution is to expand the road network and reroute the 101 onto the new roads which are slated for residential development.

I'm not sure that road have crossing the railway is even feasible any more. Isn't the rail line at grade there? With the potential for up to 3 tracks and so close to the station I can't imagine that road will ever be permitted.

I'm not sure that road have crossing the railway is even feasible any more. Isn't the rail line at grade there? With the potential for up to 3 tracks and so close to the station I can't imagine that road will ever be permitted.

That's a good point--with 3 tracks and RER trains passing every 15 minutes in each direction, so roughly 7.5 minutes on average overall, I don't think that at grade crossing will remain. They'll either need to close it, or grade-separate it.

TTC parking returns to Yorkdale February 1st.

From link:

Starting tomorrow morning, Feb. 1, TTC customers will have access to the newly renovated and upgraded parking lot at Yorkdale Station.

The lot, which will be priced at $7 a day, offers more than 1,000 spaces in a covered, heated and well-lit multi-level structure. It also features a communication system monitored by mall security and pay-on exit payment system, allowing for quicker entry. Prior to re-opening, the lot underwent renovations by the mall’s owner.

The spaces at Yorkdale Station will provide much-needed relief to commuters who regularly park at Downsview and Wilson stations.

In addition to these spaces, commuters will have access to approximately 2,800 new spaces at three TTC lots on the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension by the end of 2017, as well as access to a lot at the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre.

no, plenty of free parking at Yorkdale still. It would be nice if they started charging a bit though, get rid of the parking frenzy that is always happening there.

...pay-on exit payment system...
...?

From the Yorkdale Mall website, at this link:

TTC Commuters will be able to park Monday to Friday from 5:30am to 9:30am in Yorkdale’s “E” Parkade on parking levels P3, P4, P5 only. This is only accessible via the entrance located on the South Road. This designated lot will offer parking for up to 1,010 vehicles.

Those parking in the lot will be required to pull a ticket and park. A TTC Commuter Parking rate of $7 will apply and is subject to change. Payment is accepted at the pay machine or at the exit gate upon return to the property. Pay stations will accept cash and/or credit card.​

It would be nice if they started charging a bit though, get rid of the parking frenzy that is always happening there.

The frenzy is just because people are too lazy to drive around to the underground parking lots on the south side of the mall. Those underground parking lots usually have a fair amount of space.

The frenzy is just because people are too lazy to drive around to the underground parking lots on the south side of the mall. Those underground parking lots usually have a fair amount of space.
A way to improve the traffic situation at Yorkdale would be to separate the off ramp to Yorkdale Rd and traffic leaving the surface lots and underground parking. People are discouraged from turning left at the off ramp because there are cars from the opposite lane turning right towards the 401. Separating this mess would create a smaller mess that is easier to handle.

Rerouting the 101 under your proposal would isolate it from the connecting buses available at Downsview station, which I suspect is the reason why the TTC prefers to maintain the current route. In the long run, I would say the best solution is to expand the road network and reroute the 101 onto the new roads which are slated for residential development.

View attachment 97427
That drawing almost makes Downsview look like a nice, not-at-all mediocre park. Boy, renders are fun.

EDIT: TTC parking back at Yorkdale eh? Nice. A little late for me, but might end up using it today or tomorrow.

EDIT2: 7 dollars?!! Thats crazy

no, plenty of free parking at Yorkdale still. It would be nice if they started charging a bit though, get rid of the parking frenzy that is always happening there.

Free parking is part of the classic suburban mall experience, which Yorkdale does perfectly. Charging for parking would be feasible, but the mall would probably lose some of its lustre for middle class consumers. Many people go to Yorkdale because they don't want to drive downtown and pay for parking.

That drawing almost makes Downsview look like a nice, not-at-all mediocre park. Boy, renders are fun.

EDIT: TTC parking back at Yorkdale eh? Nice. A little late for me, but might end up using it today or tomorrow.

EDIT2: 7 dollars?!! Thats crazy

The TTC is underfunded. It needs it. (However, I think the money goes to Yorkdale, not the TTC.)

I still think a day will happen when yorkdale does not extend the ttc lease... they could use those spots for themselves...

I still think a day will happen when yorkdale does not extend the ttc lease... they could use those spots for themselves...

Not for the foreseeable future--those garages are really never full. People avoid using them for some reason, and insist on using the surface parking for the most part.

Back