News   May 15, 2024
 76     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 857     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 683     0 

Spadina Streetcar Track Repairs (TTC, U/C)

does anyone know if the other major intersections (king/spadina and dundas/spadina) are going to require such a shutdown as well?

Nothing up on the TTC yet, but there might be something, keep checking the page.

Watching Global News tonight and they reported that businesses are being "DEVASTATED" by the construction at Queen and Spadina.

Really? Devastated after just 12 hours of work? Gimme a break. I think they'll survive the 14 days this is going to take.

They also talked to a bunch of motorists who were "FED UP!" with the closure? Really? They're had it after just 12 hours?

People make me laugh.

Ratings and politics are quite the hoot; NP has it pegged as "CARMAGEDDON".

The oldest? They were only built in 1997. And I doubt they replaced all the other tracks around the city since then.

Well, which lines haven't been rebuilt in the last few years? Queen, King, Dundas, Bathurst, St. Clair, and Parliament have all been rebuilt, as have the tracks along Church Street. Carlton-College-Gerrard has also been reconstructed.

Spadina and Queens Quay are the only lines that haven't been touched, besides some emergency repairs that have happened on both lines.

The new method of installation is supposed to last 25-30 years.

Watching Global News tonight and they reported that businesses are being "DEVASTATED" by the construction at Queen and Spadina.

Really? Devastated after just 12 hours of work? Gimme a break. I think they'll survive the 14 days this is going to take.

They also talked to a bunch of motorists who were "FED UP!" with the closure? Really? They're had it after just 12 hours?

People make me laugh.

Queen was empty tonight... on the otherhand simcoe was backed up for blocks. Was nice zipping by all that traffic on my bike.

If anyone is interested :)

7540057168_9b0b2123e2_c.jpg

More pictures and footage of the action here:

Tearing Out Toronto's Heart (to replace it!)

Last edited:
does anyone know if the other major intersections (king/spadina and dundas/spadina) are going to require such a shutdown as well?

From the Star article: "The city’s other two grand unions are at King St. W. and Spadina Ave. and King St. W. and Bathurst St. The TTC plans to perform similar construction on the King and Spadina grand union next summer, while there are no plans to reconstruct tracks at King and Bathurst."

Well, which lines haven't been rebuilt in the last few years? Queen, King, Dundas, Bathurst, St. Clair, and Parliament have all been rebuilt, as have the tracks along Church Street. Carlton-College-Gerrard has also been reconstructed.

Spadina and Queens Quay are the only lines that haven't been touched, besides some emergency repairs that have happened on both lines.

The new method of installation is supposed to last 25-30 years.

I think the only other "Revenue" track not done would be Wellington and the parts of Church and York south of King, which are starting to get in bad shape. But those roads only see, what, 10 streetcars a day? at least when the 503 isn't subbed for a bus, which is pretty often lately.

When was Broadview last done? Also maybe Humber Loop?

I noticed a massive heave on Adelaide has formed just east of York. It's big enough that cars are swearving to avoid it. The track is protruding up a good 6 inches from the road. Obviously the whole street is on the books for the near future, but this will need some emergency work.

Last edited:
The Queensway right-of-way has been done up to and including the South Kingsway. I think the Humber Loop and west to Park Lawn, and the Queensway east of Claude Avenue to Roncesvalles has to be upgraded as well.

Opps, The Doctor's TARDIS went too far back (1950's) for these photos.

s0065_fl0097_id0007.jpg

Queen Street West at Sunnyside.

s0065_fl0116_it0001.jpg

Queen Street West (Queensway) at Grenadier Pond

s0065_fl0116_it0037.jpg

Queen Street West (Queensway) at Parkside Drive

s0065_fl0137_it0002.jpg

Queen Street West (Queensway) at St. Joseph's Hospital.

No traffic to worry about back then. Today, there is car traffic that interferes with the construction.

Last edited:
Back after another ride in the TARDIS.

Too bad they removed the public lavatories that were under the Spadina & Queen intersection.

s0376_fl0005_it0084.jpg

189?

s0372_ss0058_it0109.jpg

Queen & Spadina trackwork, 1912.

f1244_it1157.jpg

Queen & Spadina, looking north, 1924.

s0071_it8399.jpg

Spadina, looking north to Queen, 1931.

Anyone know why Queen Street West became/got renamed Queensway?

Wild guess: Queen ended at Roncesvalles (or just a bit west) and at some point, perhaps when the Gardiner was built, a connection was made across High Park to an existing street in Etobicoke called The Queensway.

I noticed a massive heave on Adelaide has formed just east of York. It's big enough that cars are swearving to avoid it. The track is protruding up a good 6 inches from the road. Obviously the whole street is on the books for the near future, but this will need some emergency work.

Does that stretch of Adelaide see even non-revenue streetcar use, or is it just a case of removing the hazard for other traffic?

Does that stretch of Adelaide see even non-revenue streetcar use, or is it just a case of removing the hazard for other traffic?

It did up until the mid 1990s when they closed the track on Spadina for building the Spadina line. Then a couple of utility cuts were made at University so the track was incomplete and unusable. That being said, the section between Bay and Yonge was among the first track built with the current standards of using the concrete sub-bed and the metal ties in 1995. As far as I know, only one streetcar has ever run over that track. It was backed up from Victoria to York and used for a beer commercial where a street hockey game was being played (near First Canadian Place) and someone yells "Streetcar!" and the players all scramble to the sides of the road as the streetcar comes rolling through.

The track on Adelaide used to be used for Queen and King diversions when something was going on around City Hall or in the financial district, or the Santa Claus parade.

Back