1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 392     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 984     1 

Sonder Hotel (was Templar, 348 Adelaide W, Rhed, 8s, Del Terrelonge) COMPLETE

I see a better-looking cladding today:

templarhoteltorontoDSC02401.jpg

i wonder if and when this hotel will open it's been under construction for a few years now. I have walked by there many times nothing ever is going on. :confused:

i wonder if and when this hotel will open it's been under construction for a few years now. I have walked by there many times nothing ever is going on. :confused:

This project has obviously suffered from a number of problems. To begin, it appears as though the original design was premised on acquiring twice as much land as the "finished" building sits on. In addition, the mode of construction appears to have resulted in a weakened structure that had to be re-engineered after the fact. Finally, the developer has had cash problems, and is now paying 13.5% for a bunch of the "final stage" money.

All this, and still no word on sales or even final use.

The City of Toronto could buy it: homeless shelter!

lol, but it would be a more appropriate site than Fez Batik. Still, I think there's been so much cash thrown into the Templar Money Pit that they'll need to sell it to Saudis to break even.

Hey, there's a thought: Saudi consulate. They can get their jollies watching the hummer-limos roll by all night long burning black gold.

On second thought, I'm not sure the Saudis would be down with the behaviour and costume of the local scene. Better to sell it to UAE; they're much more comfortable with western debauchery.

The Templar Hotel just got a new East-friendly address of 348 Adelaide St. West, in place of 344. I suppose that'll have to pass as progress on this project short of any other news.

my inside sources tell me they're not only finishing Templar soon but they've got other projects on the go....

hmmm....anyone notice that cool "floating" glass structure just kitty-corner to it?

my inside sources tell me they're not only finishing Templar soon but they've got other projects on the go....

hmmm....anyone notice that cool "floating" glass structure just kitty-corner to it?

LOL. How on earth could a developer attach its name to the Templar Hotel and then try to do another project across the street? Is it not akin to Hitler applying to rabbinical school? Or Mike Harris authoring a report on municipal governance in Ontario?

Truly, nothing says "Trust me by investing in my next project" like the Templar Hotel.

The floating glass structure is being discussed here:

http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=7945

For some reason I have it in my memory that it's a sales centre for a 9 storey condo with huge full-floor layouts, kind of like N-Blox or 500 Wellington, but don't quote me on that. I don't think it's the same developer as Templar, though. There might be something listed in that City of Toronto PDF file floating around the forum with development proposals.

There has been no activity at this location for a couple of weeks. It looks dead.

More recently, I saw a rat making its way into the building.

They have given it a name and stenciled it on the glass. Something like Langmead or Languish - it's Langsomething

Back