Toronto Solaris at Metrogate Condos | ?m | 40s | Tridel | Graziani + Corazza COMPLETE

Would the city post an updated report showing the true height as well as the increase in the number of floors?

I thought there were two office buildings planned...

Maybe Midtown GO service + improved Stouffville service will be enough so that 100% of Metrogate's residents aren't driving everywhere 100% of the time.

i doubt the subway has much impact in scarborough. I'd say most ttc users in the suburbs are renters and/or poor to lower middle class people living paycheque to paycheque. Even downtown, most buyers of condos have cars and many never take transit! Scarborough condos will continue to be a hot commodity as long as the price of single family housing keeps increasing, condos become the trendy place to live in the suburbs, etc. I love the fact the stc area is intensifying--but even compared to mississauga, I find stc area to be disastrous in terms of layout, street grid, landscape, etc.

LV is garbage: agreed! What i'd love to see going forward everywhere in the gta: Freed-style developments!

You make it seem like I said Metrogate residents will take transit 100% of the time...hardly. That is not an accurate profile of suburban TTC users - transit is best going downtown and it is people who are better off than poor that take transit downtown; they benefit substantially from the Danforth line running out to Kennedy and the Yonge line running up to Finch, especially since GO service in the 416 is so awful. Poorer people are found more often on random bus routes. Scarborough condos aren't trendy, they are cheap - they start at about $140,000...there isn't much left in Scarborough for under $300,000 unless you want to live in Malvern. Yes, STC hasn't turned out particularly "user-friendly" and there's a few threads way back somewhere going into this topic in detail (here's one: http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=998). More and better stuff was planned for STC but the lack of new office towers and the lack of a subway connection, among other things, hurt its development over the years.

If the subway doesn't have much impact in Scarborough it's because there's only 2.5 stations in Scarborough.

The development around STC hasn't been all that great over the last 5-10 years IMO. Sure there has been lots of condos built which is great, but the connectivity between them and the mall and the RT station is rather weak. The only other developments have been suburban-style retail and restaurants, with parking lots surrounding each building. It's definitely not pedestrian-friendly. I know people who live at 360 and drive to Best Buy and the movie theatre. It's just an area to buy a cheap condo.

Back to Metrogate, I don't think many people will take transit who live there (unless the subway happens). I wouldn't even consider it located at STC either. What would help would be some sort of pedestrian walkway to Midland so a walk to Midland Station is somewhat possible.

They don't need a walkway - Sufferance will be extended to Emblem. Metrogate is still advertising future subway access...having two improved GO train lines will be great for downtown commuters, though.

i doubt the subway has much impact in scarborough. I'd say most ttc users in the suburbs are renters and/or poor to lower middle class people living paycheque to paycheque.

A lot of the people living in this part of the city are exactly that. From the popularity of the Sheppard East bus in Scarborough and the Scarborough Centre Rocket bus, it seems like a lot of the people who live in the high-rise rental towers along Sheppard and the neighbourhoods around them take the bus for daily activities, such as to shop at Agincourt Mall and the local strip malls. I think the subway will work very well in this part of Scarborough. However, I do agree that many Metrogate residents won't take the subway... I don't see them as the types who would do shopping at Agincourt Mall. Pacific Mall would seem a better choice for them.

What would help would be some sort of pedestrian walkway to Midland so a walk to Midland Station is somewhat possible.

That's quite a hefty walk. If Sufferance will be extended to Emblem, I'd like to see the Scarborough Centre Rocket bus (190) re-routed in the future to go through Metrogate.

Google Earth Model

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=b5061e947b7870abc1fd6eca794d8565

mgt1.jpg

I didn't model the Delta Toronto East Hotel, so just imagine a 14-storey brick slab in the foreground

mgt2.jpg

Some of the Scarborough Centre buildings are in the background

mgt3.jpg

Aerial view from Midland and 401 overpass (once again, imagine the Delta Toronto East and the apartment towers along Sheppard behind Metrogate)

Usually, it seems half the 190 Rocket patrons are young people, and young people from every class take the TTC. The houses around Sheppard's rental towers are firmly middle class, though. A majority of Metrogate residents won't take the TTC - there are no neighbourhoods that see 50% transit usage. Agincourt has slightly more owners vs renters than the city overall, but if the subway did come, I think the area would see an increase in lower-income renters and higher-income owners, both groups that may use transit more.

At the Agincourt's current density and distance from a subway station as well as the infrequency of the GO Stoufville line, it makes sense that transit ridership is <50%. The thing that dissappoints me is that while the Sheppard line was built to spur density along the route in North York, Scarborough that has significant transit demand remains underserviced. In Scarborough, we have transit demand, we then build the density in proximity to busy avenues and then eventually-hopefully we get transit.

I guess I implied that Metrogate would be a neighbourhood, but there are no 50% transit-using neighbourhoods anywhere in the city (well, maybe unless you start looking at isolated streets or blocks, but those aren't neighbourhoods).

And, yes, the stretch of Sheppard beginning at Don Mills and going east was always far more developed than the Yonge to Don Mills portion...that's a big reason why the shortening to a stubway was hard to swallow.

1 bedrooms sold out ><

Well this is lovely, like most condos nowadays all good things are sold out to overseas customers. Suites started at 178K for the smallest and they are pretty much all gone to oversea buyers.

Makes me wonder how much of a bubble the real estate market really is. When everything is sold out (to people who may or may not be able to immigrate to Canada) before actual residents get to buy it.

Oh, for your info, the majority of residents will be from China/Hong Kong on this project (as well as Concorde Park Place but after City Place, I don't have high expectations for build quality but then people from China/Hong Kong are probably used to living in bad housing seeing as Concorde is their developer).

In general the area isn't so bad (it's isolated from all the low class residential areas in the neighborhood) and the Kennedy Commons is close (AMC movie theatre, 24 hour Dominion, Brick, Super pets, Homehardware, food) as is Scarborough Towncenter and Agincourt.

A good alternative for a spot between downtown Toronto and Downtown Markham with a well serviced transit corridor. Generally you'll probably walk down to Shepperd for the 190 express bus to Fariview (Don Mills) station.

But yeah, as the problem is, may very well be neighbour type. Might be very homogenous...

Yes, people are still coming from Hong Kong. At this point, many are just following relatives. More are coming from the rest of China, but if they're migrating around China and Hong Kong before arriving, it's hard to say where they're really "from."

Back