News   May 21, 2024
 958     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 594     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 464     0 

Snow Storm, Downtown Toronto Dec. 16th

Toronto looks awesome in the winter. :) Does it snow every year? Does it get really bad?

Yes, it snows every year. A lot. I thought this city was famous for snow -- a scary number of Americans honestly think we live in igloos. If there's a big snowstorm in November or December, it's usually close to zero degrees, so it melts pretty quickly. It's not until January and February when we get snow that actually stays on the ground because of the -30 degree temperatures. That's when it really piles up.

Yes, it snows every year. A lot. I thought this city was famous for snow -- a scary number of Americans honestly think we live in igloos. If there's a big snowstorm in November or December, it's usually close to zero degrees, so it melts pretty quickly. It's not until January and February when we get snow that actually stays on the ground because of the -30 degree temperatures. That's when it really piles up.

Thanks

.. a scary number of Americans honestly think we live in igloos.

Indeed. The association of any city in Canada with images that rightly belong to the Northwest Territories is common in America to the point of being ludicrous.

Recently, at a conference in Chicago, someone asked me how was it to return again to the Arctic cold and mountains of snow in Toronto to work on such "strange projects ... (as) your people pursue up there". I looked at him and simply smiled.

What else could you do?

Indeed. The association of any city in Canada with images that rightly belong to the Northwest Territories is common in America to the point of being ludicrous.

Recently, at a conference in Chicago, someone asked me how was it to return again to the Arctic cold and mountains of snow in Toronto to work on such "strange projects ... (as) your people pursue up there". I looked at him and simply smiled.

What else could you do?

Laugh.

What else could you do?

Well, you could start by pointing out that the climate in Chicago and Toronto are virtually the same...

Really our winters are not all that bad. This was the first year in many that we had significant snow before Christmas. Even then it had almost melted by a few days later... still though I am no fan of winter.

We are not having the same Winters here is Scotland as we used to have when I was a kid in the 60's. Mostly wet and windy now. There was a time in the Winter when kids could guarantee getting some sledging. One thing is certain there would be a lot of car accidents if we did get weather like Toronto.

We are not having the same Winters here is Scotland as we used to have when I was a kid in the 60's. Mostly wet and windy now. There was a time in the Winter when kids could guarantee getting some sledging. One thing is certain there would be a lot of car accidents if we did get weather like Toronto.

Make no mistake, a snowfall in Toronto prompts hundreds and hundreds of accidents too!

My memories as a kid in the 70's was lots of snow too, all or most of the winter (December to March) as I recall. Not anymore.

Back