News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 493     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

I wonder what Eric Miller got out of giving such a endorsement of SmartTrack. He's a smart guy, and I'm sure he understood the fundamental problems with the concept.

I wonder what Eric Miller got out of giving such a endorsement of SmartTrack. He's a smart guy, and I'm sure he understood the fundamental problems with the concept.

Because they came up with it

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/11/17/the_evolution_of_smarttrack.html

And then gotten council to have the originators of the proposal to evaluate it - pay close attention to the city report:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2015/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-74826.pdf

Ouroboros. I mean, it isn't like we haven't pointed this ludicrous arrangement before on here.

AoD

I think I read this on Twitter, but I can't remember from who-- but I thought it was a smart point. The real problem isn't SmartTrack, it's the fact that Tory has made this one of his transit priorities (to be fair, it is what he campaigned on). When all along, the DRL should be the priority, especially because it would take longer to build.

Perhaps he should have asked that of people who pointed out the shortcomings of his plan before he acknowledged them in face of reality as to what their plans were. Oops, of course that didn't happen.

AoD

Untitled.png

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 456
John Tory's transit plan: Spend unnecessary money, on unnecessary projects that the province already previously committed to fund in full. Followed up by unnecessary budget cuts and asset selloffs to fund his plans.

Now, if only he'd apply that logic to kickstarting construction on the DRL, you know, the rapid transit Toronto actually needs the most.

Spend unnecessary money, on unnecessary projects that the province already previously committed to fund in full.

What did the province commit to fund in full that's now being funded by the city? Sheppard East LRT? The province did commit to fund that eventually, now there's a commitment to build it by 2025. LRT operations? The province never actually committed to funding that. They said that the P3s would be "overseen" by Metrolinx, but not that Metrolinx would cover the operating costs.

Not only would we be responsible for the Sheppard East LRT if it's ever built, but also the Crosstown West extension (aka Smarttrack West portion). Let's remember, the province was always open to build the extension at a future date provided that the cash was available. Now Tory has essentially put the city on the hook for a share of the capital costs of this one as well, and there is no definite start date for that project.

That seems to be John Tory's MO: when cornered about an issue (police carding, SmartTrack, etc.) he gets testy, defensive, flustered and makes all sorts of disingenuous remarks. No leadership.
And I swear I'm neutral politically in this nation, I don't even have the vote (non-citizen), but compare that to how Trudeau handles those kinds of situations.

Polls indicate that there isn't any opponent on the horizon to challenge Tory next election. lol...they're there, they just haven't popped their heads over the hill yet.

Here's a wild one to consider: (Watch her closely, her body-English is giving it away): Jennifer Keesmaat. She hasn't a perfect record, she's flip-flopped a few times, but of course "She vaz just following orders". It is a perfect alibi, because it's true. She's going to have to start standing her ground though, perhaps even getting canned. Done properly, that will propel her to prominence. She has all the right stuff, and dare I say it in these PC times? She has the looks.

Polls indicate that there isn't any opponent on the horizon to challenge Tory next election. lol...they're there, they just haven't popped their heads over the hill yet.

Here's a wild one to consider: (Watch her closely, her body-English is giving it away): Jennifer Keesmaat. She hasn't a perfect record, she's flip-flopped a few times, but of course "She vaz just following orders". It is a perfect alibi, because it's true. She's going to have to start standing her ground though, perhaps even getting canned. Done properly, that will propel her to prominence. She has all the right stuff, and dare I say it in these PC times? She has the looks.

Unfortunately, Tory is here to stay, probably until he gets bored and decides not to run again. Incumbency is strong in municipal politics. This is why the previous election was so important, it will define the direction of this city for a decade.

Unfortunately, Tory is here to stay, probably until he gets bored and decides not to run again. Incumbency is strong in municipal politics. This is why the previous election was so important, it will define the direction of this city for a decade.
lol...we'll see. Remember, Tory wasn't elected so much as no-one else was. In all fairness, anyone on Council is damaged goods, Keesmaat or someone else outside has a huge advantage, given the right stuff.

I for one am ripe to vote for a solid progressive candidate in the next election. I voted for John Tory and even donated to his campaign, but I've become increasingly disillusioned, especially this year, with the poor decisions he's made, as well as what seems like a swerve to the right for no reason.

Back