News   Apr 26, 2024
 182     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 435     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.3K     4 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

other than some dots on a map nothing about eglinton west lrt. WTH...

Metrolinx is leading that project now. I seriously hope they’re not slacking on moving forward on that. I fear that, because it’s a City of Toronto priority, that they’ll let it fall through the cracks.

Also, interesting to see Jane LRT on the map still

i dont see jane on the map... if this map is being put out by the city, even if they know metrolinx is going to cancel the eglinton west, what motivation would there be for not putting it on the map. as long as its there it makes people think that more transit is coming than reality getting more people on board.

The only thing I care about in this presentation is that the Relief Line West is back on the map.

The relief line is not only on the map - but also Relief Line West on it, even though it has not been officially mentioned as of yet. Also, one of the Gerrard-Carlaw station slides has the relief line going down Pape still, another does not show the relief line at all, and third shows the current relief line route.

Has there been any official timeline on when we’ll hear more on the Eglinton LRT extensions?

I was expecting to see something about Eglinton East at the last TTC meeting, but it went unmentioned.

Has there been any official timeline on when we’ll hear more on the Eglinton LRT extensions?

I was expecting to see something about Eglinton East at the last TTC meeting, but it went unmentioned.
one day when eglinton east is cancelled, the scarborough subway supporters will say it had nothing to do with their one stop money pit.

For Eglinton West, the notional timetable was proposed in the Toronto City Council meeting of Nov 8/16 which set the Smarttrack planning into action

Draft Environmental Project Report due Q3 2017, leading to notice to proceed to TPAP; Procurement Q1 2019

This timetable was set back by a motion that the report back be deferred until after Council had considered the report re the Waterfront Reset, which I believe will go to Council this fall.

As for Eglinton East, I'm still looking. It was part of the Line 2 decision, which was a different Council meeting.

BTW I drove Eglinton west yesterday. There is some serious road reconstruction going on between Kipling and Martingrove. They were pouring new concrete for the center islands and curbs at Kipling. Jackhammering out concrete, Lots of landscaping and ditching around the new townhome developments. And complete resurfacing and ashphalt replacement. Much as I don't like bumpy roads, if the LRT proceeds they will be chopping all this up in just a couple of years....hardly money well spent.

- Paul

As for Eglinton East, I'm still looking. It was part of the Line 2 decision, which was a different Council meeting.

Found it. The Council approval of the Line 2 subway declared that the LRT and the subway are one project and one network. So it all gets reported together. The project is to be managed by Infrastructure Ontario if a suitable agreement is reached to this effect. The next report to Council is Q2 2018.

- Paul

Found it. The Council approval of the Line 2 subway declared that the LRT and the subway are one project and one network. So it all gets reported together.

The precise wording of the motion: “City Council direct that the Eglinton East LRT and the Scarborough Subway Extension be considered as one network in future reports to City Council.”

If it all gets reported together, does this mean that both the subway and the LRT will be up for approval at the same time? If so, this should make it more difficult to proceed with the subway plan without the LRT also being funded and approved for construction.

The precise wording of the motion: “City Council direct that the Eglinton East LRT and the Scarborough Subway Extension be considered as one network in future reports to City Council.”

If it all gets reported together, does this mean that both the subway and the LRT will be up for approval at the same time? If so, this should make it more difficult to proceed with the subway plan without the LRT also being funded and approved for construction.

It was clever to tie the two together, making the LRT an integral part of the subway (which is unstoppable politically). But that was before the cost mushroomed, when it was thought that both could be funded from the same envelope that would have been spent on the original SRT replacement.

My fear is that when Council gets the next report, with a more definitive cost projection for the subway.... the LRT may look like something that could be cut to save money. Just worrying out loud.

- Paul

It was clever to tie the two together, making the LRT an integral part of the subway (which is unstoppable politically). But that was before the cost mushroomed, when it was thought that both could be funded from the same envelope that would have been spent on the original SRT replacement.

My fear is that when Council gets the next report, with a more definitive cost projection for the subway.... the LRT may look like something that could be cut to save money. Just worrying out loud.

- Paul

With the new ward boundaries in place (three downtown wards + one North York ward), it should make any attempt to cancel or defer the EELRT more challenging.

However I do anticipate that the EELRT will be paid for with the $5 Billion in federal transit funding, assuming QP matches the funding (and I expect they will). Likewise, Eglinton West could be paid for from the same funding pool ( although it’s not entirely clear to me if the “SmartTrack” funding from the feds announced last year would also contribute to Eglinton West)

It's a toothless motion. The wording of it was substantially watered down from the during the council debate, which originally included this provision that got thrown out.

screen-shot-2017-03-28-at-3-40-47-pm-png.103346

In fact the same Scarborough councilors who claim to support the Eglinton LRT tried to get the entire motion ruled out of order. They tried their best to prevent the LRT from advancing.

It's a toothless motion. The wording of it was substantially watered down from the during the council debate, which originally included this provision that got thrown out.

screen-shot-2017-03-28-at-3-40-47-pm-png.103346

In fact the same Scarborough councilors who claim to support the Eglinton LRT tried to get the entire motion ruled out of order. They tried their best to prevent the LRT from advancing.

Wait, so this means the EELRT doesn't have funding to complete the planning and the EA?

Back