News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 551     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Sidewalk plowing

I'm an outsider looking in, and Toronto doesn't plow sidewalks??? Holy geez. Every other city does... Kingston does despite getting way more snow than Toronto and having plenty of narrow downtown streets that are apples to apples with downtown streets in Toronto.

I'm an outsider looking in, and Toronto doesn't plow sidewalks??? Holy geez. Every other city does... Kingston does despite getting way more snow than Toronto and having plenty of narrow downtown streets that are apples to apples with downtown streets in Toronto.
Every other city does?

Kitchener doesn't. Waterloo doesn't. Cambridge doesn't.

Chicago doesn't. Windsor doesn't. Detroit doesn't.

New York City doesn't.

It's not surprising that cities with way more snow than Toronto (Montreal, Ottawa - and apparently Kingston) do clear sidewalks. While cities like Toronto that get much less snow don't.

But there was a pretty fiery column today saying they should!
In winters like this year and last year, the probably should. Then we get 2-3 winters in a row, where there's not that much snow at all, and it's a waste of time and money.

In Ottawa and Montreal it's always worth while. In Windsor it seldom is.

If taxpayers want to pay the extra, sure.

What they should do however, is either end plowing of sidewalks in North York, Scarborough, and Etobicoke. Or start doing downtown.

Has anyone seen the city crews clear the frozen snow windrows?

Snow+Removal+Banner.jpg

Especially along the monolithic sidewalks? Where there isn't a boulevard available to place the snow?

1297375723657_ORIGINAL.jpg

Attachments

• Snow+Removal+Banner.jpg
    Snow+Removal+Banner.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 965
Not a big problem, it seldom snow below -10C. Though in my sodium chloride is effective to closer to -15 than -10. Even during a cold snap like this, Toronto highs are normally above the -15 threshold. And looking at the next week, it should his -12 every day, and up to -4.
Even when the temperature is 'too low' you should still salt. As someone who walks everywhere, I find that salt adds traction. And if you get some sun shining on it, the temperature can be warm enough at sidewalk level to allow the salt to work.

I have spent the last two winters fighting with 311 to make sure the bridge on Mt Pleasant that crosses over Rosedale Valley gets plowed and salted. Usually takes at least 3 calls to get it done properly. Often it will be done and then a street plow will go by and push all the snow back into the sidewalk.

The city released the call documents for sidewalk/bus stop/crossings clearing and salting for the next 7 years. Unfortunately it does not look like the sidewalk plowing network will be expanded beyond arterial roads in the downtown area.

The city released the call documents for sidewalk/bus stop/crossings clearing and salting for the next 7 years. Unfortunately it does not look like the sidewalk plowing network will be expanded beyond arterial roads in the downtown area.
Though you are probably right, the tenders out today are for Etobicoke and North York Districts. The City does these contacts District by District. There will certainly be some TEY contracts if the current ones have expired but whether they will expand what is to be done is probably unlikely.

Uh, the very first tenders posted this morning were for the Toronto/East York Districts, which is divided into two districts: 1 and 2. District 1 covers everything in Toronto/East York which lies east of Spadina, District 2 covers everything west of Spadina. District 1 is covered under documents 6032-15-091 and 6032-15-092, district 2 is covered by document 6032-15-093.

As of this post, the entire city is covered under call documents 6032-15-091 through 6032-15-0105 and are now online for viewing.

All contracted winter maintenance tenders for roads and sidewalks expire and are renewed during the same year. The tenders for roadway salting/sanding, along with expressway and arterial road plowing and snow removal have come and closed already. The tenders for collector and local roads plowing and snow removal close on Wednesday. These sidewalk/crossings/bus stop contracts form the last of the winter maintenance tenders to be issued. They are all 7 years in duration.

Last edited:
Yes. more tenders now posted. As I said, I think it very unlikely the City will extend sidewalk plowing - though of course they should. Gravy and all that, I guess!

Yes. more tenders now posted. As I said, I think it very unlikely the City will extend sidewalk plowing - though of course they should. Gravy and all that, I guess!
Either they should extend it, eliminate it in parts of the city that do get it, or add additional charges to the garbage/water bill to cover the cost on streets that get it.

More Cities Are Taking Responsibility for Clearing Sidewalks of Snow

From link.

It’s that time of year, where you see people walking in the street because the sidewalks are full of snow, or you have to brave death and do it yourself.

It’s one of the more remarkable double-standards — or inequities — in transportation: Clearing streets of snow is a non-negotiable priority for public agencies, but safe routes for pedestrians are left to a piecemeal private system that mostly fails.

We wanted to highlight a couple of cities that are doing more than most to keep sidewalks clear for pedestrians. The good news is, more cities are starting to recognize clear sidewalks as an important quality-of-life and equity issue that deserves public support.

Rochester, New York

Rochester is a clear leader. The city plows all 878 miles of sidewalks whenever it snows four inches or more.

The Democrat and Chronicle reports that the city farms the job out to private contractors, many of whom are farmers, whose work is at a lull during the winter months. The service is paid for by a fee added to property tax bills that is based on the length of the sidewalk associated with the property. The local blog, Rochester Subway, reports it costs the average homeowner about $40 per year.

Burlington, Vermont

Burlington has one the best snow-removal policies we could find. The city clears sidewalks using public equipment and staff (parks workers). Unfortunately, sidewalks are cleared only after all the roads.

It sometimes takes as long as 48 hours to clear all the sidewalks, according to City Hall. In the meantime, the city prioritizes major pedestrian corridors.

The Twin Cities

Both Minneapolis and St. Paul require homeowners to clear sidewalks. But if they do not — and the city receives a complaint — workers will clear the sidewalks and bill the homeowners or landlords. According to MPR News, about 1,000 St. Paul homeowners and 750 Minneapolis homeowners were billed for shoveling in 2013.

But the process takes a long time. First, the city will write a letter. The fine is $150. It takes about three days for the sidewalks to eventually be cleared, said Bill Lindeke, a local urbanist blogger.

But Minneapolis has been studying taking over sidewalk shoveling from residents. Public Works estimates it would cost between $4.5 and $6 million a year to plow sidewalks four to five times per year. A more continuous plowing schedule, including plowing at lighter snow levels, could cost as much as $20 million a year — and that’s after about $5 million in upfront costs for equipment.

The study follows a campaign by the advocacy group Our Streets Minneapolis. Minneapolis has been studying Rochester’s program for inspiration.

The group’s president Maria Wardoku told Streetsblog that when it snows, sidewalks in Minneapolis are “inconsistent.”

“You’ll find some sidewalks that are cleared well and some that are not cleared at all on the same block,” she said. “You can’t really feel confident if you’re pushing a stroller or carrying a wheelchair that you’ll be able to get safely to your destination.”

Another problem is huge snow piles at intersections left behind by plows.

“You’re literally climbing over a mountain of snow it may be three feet high,” said Wardoku.

Wardoku said she can scale the detritus since she’s young and able-bodied. But many people with additional mobility barriers are severely impacted.

“We see people who are effectively trapped in their homes for weeks or maybe months at a time: seniors who are worried about falling, people who have other mobility challenges really can’t particulate fully in our community for many months,” she said. “We see that as really limiting our city.”

Our Streets Minneapolis is asking supporters to reach out to City Council members and push for the sidewalk plowing funds to be included in the 2020 budget.

Syracuse, New York

Meanwhile, Syracuse has been making an effort to better address the issue.

Mayor Ben Walsh advanced a plan to plow 40 high-priority miles of sidewalk this year. However the city has had trouble finding contractors to complete the job. The city has budgeted about $170,000 for the project, but negotiations with a contractor fell apart over concerns about liability for damaged sidewalks, according to Syracuse.com.

Walsh still plans to pursue the pilot, a campaign promise he made in 2017.

Duluth, Minnesota

Duluth is a rare city that takes full responsibility for clearing its sidewalks. However, the city does not seem to be able to do a thorough job. Last fall, city leaders discussed removing the requirement, calling it “overwhelming” and instead focusing on priority routes near schools, bus stops and major pedestrian corridors, according to the News Tribune.

Speaking of plowing, Toronto has definitely gotten much worse at clearing the roads over the last few years. I remember, as recently as 2014, the city was dumping ten tons of salt for each millimetre of snow. It's gotten noticeably and dramatically worse very quickly since then. Must be the budget crunch.

Speaking of plowing, Toronto has definitely gotten much worse at clearing the roads over the last few years. I remember, as recently as 2014, the city was dumping ten tons of salt for each millimetre of snow. It's gotten noticeably and dramatically worse very quickly since then. Must be the budget crunch.

It must have been years since I last seen the city clear ANY of the snow windrows in my neighbourhood.

From Montreal.

Back