News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 579     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Should municipal elections have party politics?

Prescribing party politics as the solution for the likes of Rob Ford is the sledgehammer-to-wall approach. A simple recall and/or impeachment process would make a hell of a lot more sense, and would still probably be necessary even in a party system.

In any case, given the anti-democratic domination by the executive of Parliament and, to a lesser extent, provincial legislatures, I fail to see why it would be helpful. Sure, the current system overly favours incumbency. Party systems favour the concentration of power - and that's a lot worse when you have a horrible, incompetent person in charge without any formal means to get rid of them.

In Nebraska, unlike all other states, they have a unicameral legislature that is non-partisan. Most of them are Republicans, but party affiliation doesn't matter.

Well, the Fords were the most overrated candidates in 2014 (all three of them). That is, by the people who rate them so frikkin' highly.

And as such, maybe Domise is the perfect counterpoint for all those IHTWOMRF "Ford candidates" (Smitherman, Bell, et al) who flopped utterly at the ballot box. (Though interesting--though admittedly, I haven't really checked--that such realms haven't engaged in "nyah nyah, Andray Domise blew it" raspberries. Perhaps because they're too caught up in their own dunderheaded ego.)

They're too busy whining about "John Liberal" and the media conspiracy.

I just find the argument that "the party" would prevent great candidates like Domise from emerging to be a bizarre one.

Back