News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 356     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 918     1 

Should Cities Sell Naming Rights to Transit Stations?

Looked at another way, for 5 cents a ride extra there could be no advertisements on the TTC and money for a $3.5M art installation every year. Might be worth it.

I've thought for a while that they should expand the automated station announcements to contain more information about connections, landmarks, etc. For example: "Arriving at Queen Station - Connection to 501 Streetcar, Eaton Centre."

Maybe they could sell announcement space? Businesses could get their nearby location announced as part of the stop announcement for a fee.

I actually really like that idea. Cheap way to get advertising space (no physical ad space involved), and to direct people to local landmarks. Epecially for tourists, this could be a pretty big advantage.

I actually really like that idea. Cheap way to get advertising space (no physical ad space involved), and to direct people to local landmarks. Epecially for tourists, this could be a pretty big advantage.

I must disagree with this, no physical ad space sure but about interfering with the passengers' comfort level? This is particularly bad when on the subway system and one's literally a captive audience. Stop annoucements should be kept brief and to the point. Anything that goes over10 seconds is unduly and a form of noise pollution. And for the most part transit users of all stripes have at least some awareness of where they're going and if not can simply ask the driver (bus, streetcar) or consult a map; so to have attractions spelt out for them over the intercom at the expense of other passengers is a tad bit extreme.

Looked at another way, for 5 cents a ride extra there could be no advertisements on the TTC and money for a $3.5M art installation every year. Might be worth it.

I'd love to see a poll to see how the general public would react to this...I honestly have no idea how it turn out.

People seem to have an irrational fear over paying money to the government, whether it'll actually substantially improve their daily lives or not. I'd accept that idea with open arms, but I personally don't think the general public would.

I must disagree with this, no physical ad space sure but about interfering with the passengers' comfort level? This is particularly bad when on the subway system and one's literally a captive audience. Stop annoucements should be kept brief and to the point. Anything that goes over10 seconds is unduly and a form of noise pollution. And for the most part transit users of all stripes have at least some awareness of where they're going and if not can simply ask the driver (bus, streetcar) or consult a map; so to have attractions spelt out for them over the intercom at the expense of other passengers is a tad bit extreme.
And those 20 second announcements for the TTC's "Metropass Hot Dealz" and David Miller asking us to save Transit City aren't? I think that pointing out a few local attractions would actually be great. But then again, a good bus driver could just turn off the automated stop announcements and do it themselves.

People seem to have an irrational fear over paying money to the government, whether it'll actually substantially improve their daily lives or not. I'd accept that idea with open arms, but I personally don't think the general public would.

I think people just want to see more tangible value for the money paid out to governemnets, no taxation without representation as they say. If a pothole or leaky fire hydrant in the neighbourhood needs fixing, that's of far more immediate concern to most citizens than funding for national/international programs to which the end-result of those efforts is a lot harder to assess as to whether it really was beneficial to a majority of Canadians or not e.g. national defense, foreign aid/trade negotiations or private-sector bailouts/tax emeptions.

And those 20 second announcements for the TTC's "Metropass Hot Dealz" and David Miller asking us to save Transit City aren't? I think that pointing out a few local attractions would actually be great. But then again, a good bus driver could just turn off the automated stop announcements and do it themselves.

Lol, it was actually those excruciating announcements from our exiting Mayor that beckoned to memory as I was typing that. The "please stand back from the yellow line..." announcements can be a pain too, but at least that's for public safety, not commerce. What I'm finding out more and more though is that bus drivers will begin their routings with the announcements on, then about five minutes later finds them as annoying as the passengers do and turns them off. The driver then proceeds to only call out the major intersections, and in the case of a landmark will make mention of it too. I would prefer this to an automated message, as it sustains that human connection and rapport between the driver and the customers and spares everyone unfortunate enough to not have on them a pair of earphones to a non-stop chorus of trivial information 95% of everyday riders of a route would not need to hear.

I think people just want to see more tangible value for the money paid out to governemnets, no taxation without representation as they say. If a pothole or leaky fire hydrant in the neighbourhood needs fixing, that's of far more immediate concern to most citizens than funding for national/international programs to which the end-result of those efforts is a lot harder to assess as to whether it really was beneficial to a majority of Canadians or not e.g. national defense, foreign aid/trade negotiations or private-sector bailouts/tax emeptions.

Ok...not really sure where you're going with any of that. So, back to the topic at hand. Would you be willing to pay a few cents more per trip to remove all ads from TTC vehicles, stops, and stations? How do you think others would react to this?

Ok...not really sure where you're going with any of that. So, back to the topic at hand. Would you be willing to pay a few cents more per trip to remove all ads from TTC vehicles, stops, and stations? How do you think others would react to this?

It would be soundly defeated in a referendum...I think it's the kind of thing that a lot of people would say would be nice in theory, but when push comes to shove they'd vote against it and choose to save the five cents. A "Take the ads away and we'll have to look at each other!" kind of thing for some people, and sheer cheapness for others. I'm rather fond of poster ads and so on in their designated rectangles, but I'm not fond of the station domination adstravaganzas or the vehicle wraps that block windows and make vehicles harder to spot from a distance..

Ugh, must people overemphasize everything? In basic English, people aren't afraid to pay taxes, they just want satisfactory public service in return. And no, we'll never be rid of advertisements, so don't trick the transit user into a higher fare rate with a false promise that'll be rescinded the moment the TTC needs more money. Visual aids along the rafters of subway cars is far less intrusive than having an announcement beaming into your eardrums.

I'd be willing to pay a few cents to get rid of those subway cars in which every single ad is for RBC or TD or Rogers and replace them with discounted space for ma and pa shops or small, local chains to advertise.

Back