News   Apr 26, 2024
 356     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 920     1 

Should Canada keep the Monarchy?

Should Canada keep the Monarchy?

• Total voters
Re: Measurement systems

Most people call it Bank of Montreal, abbreviated BMO (pronounced "beemo" for god knows what reason).

It's still officially headquartered in Montreal (along with some other Canadian banks... RBC?), but all Canadian banks have their head offices and all their major corporate offices in Toronto. This is really a result of separatists scaring all the corporations out of Montreal... it sure has benefited Toronto a lot. And if Quebec ever does separate, Toronto stands to gain CN, Bell, Air Canada (if they don't go under first), etc.

Possibly even Bombardier, considering how much they live off the federal teat, in terms of underwriting debt.

And that's BMO's logo on top of First Canuck Place, yeah?

has it always been B. Montreal's Toronto offices (i.e they were the main tenant from when it was built etc) ??

Off with the Queen's head!

OK, ok, maybe not until after she passes away (which I expect to happen in around 25 years).

I do not believe in birthrights.... even if it cost us $0.

Re: Monarchy

I have always understood Queen Elizabeth II to be the Queen of Canada, the Queen of Australia, the Queen of New Zealand, as well as the Queen of Great Britain & Northern Ireland. These are all equally her dominions. I would not have a problem with her opening Canada's parliament regularly. For practical purposes, she lets her governours-general give the throne speech in the various dominions.

Re: Monarchy

Our implementation of the metric system has been piss poor.

It's the damn Americans, blame them for it.

:rollin

Should CANADA keep the British Monarchy?

Everyone: I am on the fence about this question of Canada's independence. I believe when that Canada got the 1982 Constitution that the idea was to be a separate nation as opposed to British North America. I understand that the royals are just figureheads and the real ruling government is the current prime minister at any given time. Many Canadian citizens of British descent are with the UK but many feel also that Canada should have its own home rule. I wonder also if the average American citizen knows about or realizes this about the government of our Northern neighbor. I think the fair way would be a referendum on this question of becoming a truly sovereign nation. LI MIKE

Re: Should CANADA keep the British Monarchy?

Or perhaps a non-sovereign nation.

Huh? Canada is a sovereign nation. There is no support for giving that up.

But we don't have to be a country with a sovereign.

Nor a president.

I like Betty Windsor, but let the British have her for themselves. Long live the new republic!

We will never ditch the monarchy because, if we lose our British history and heritage, we will become Americans. Too bad Canada can't develop its own identity, it has to latch on to someone else's.

Good point, and if Canada became the US I would leave the country (no offense to any americans here, I just don't agree with the politics your country agrees with)

Good point, and if Canada became the US I would leave the country (no offense to any americans here, I just don't agree with the politics your country agrees with)

I hope you understand the point of my (3-year-old) post. It is pathetic that Canadians have to hang on to the culture of their founder and not take the 140 years since Confederation to develop their own.

It is interesting that Australians have far less qualms about getting rid of the British monarchy from their system, and are not afraid of "becoming Americans" by merely changing their political system, despite having been a country for only 106 years.

Back