Sheridan College (MCC, 4s, Rounthwaite Dick & Hadley Architects) COMPLETE

Sheridan College MCC (4's)

On Oct 1st, the city purchased the land from OMER's and will be leasing it to Sheridan College under a 99 year lease agreement.

The H holding symbol was removed from block 9, 28 & 29 Plan 43M-1010 for 3.46 ha of land bound by Rathburn Rd to the north, Prince of Wales to the south, Duke Of York Blvd to the east and Living Arts Dr to the west with a new Sq One Dr running east-west through it for this project.

Address is 4225 Living Arts Dr, 4200 Duke of York, 285 Prince of Wales.

Due to time restriction under the Federal-Provincial Infrastructure Stimulus Funding, the 4 story 112,131 Sq Ft building must be completed by March 31, 2011 for the south section. The first phase will be built with an interim 350 parking spots on the both sides of Sq One Dr by the city to be used by Sheridan and the public as a share facility.

1.2 ha of new parkland will be created across both blocks.

Future phases will include more buildings, park, a structure parking garage for 1,000 spots and possible realignment of Rathburn Rd and Living Arts Dr.

I was going to speak about the parking for the current plans, but decide not to due to time frame. We do not need parking structure's and time we put the parking underground and reduce the number of spots as we have to start looking what we are planning for the next 100-150 years where cars will not play the role they do to day.

Looks like there is a traffic circle coming to MCC after all.

I would have liked some more height out of these buildings, but being done in phases the proposed buildings are just guesses anyways.

Further, both of the new blocks may not be completely Sherdidan either, as there is a severance line that could allow for a hotel (residence?) development to be located there as well (page 139). That said, the buildings on that page are clearly not what is now decided to be going in anyways.

Looks like there is a traffic circle coming to MCC after all.

I would have liked some more height out of these buildings, but being done in phases the proposed buildings are just guesses anyways.

Further, both of the new blocks may not be completely Sherdidan either, as there is a severance line that could allow for a hotel (residence?) development to be located there as well (page 139). That said, the buildings on that page are clearly not what is now decided to be going in anyways.

I think that was a rendering of the old plan.

Anyway I really like Sheridan being located there. It's along that strip of civic type uses, with City Hall, the Central Library, the Living Arts Centre, and the YMCA all very close by.

One can only hope that's the old plan. For a city trying to reinvent its downtown, one would imagine that 'they' would encourage buildings and places which might draw the public to them. This sorry set of structures barely reaches beyond the brief, mundanely fulfilling the academic needs of those immediate users while ignoring those who might see a university as an extension of the city, a place of refuge and contemplation in an otherwise hectic world. I'd imagine students will drive here for class, then drive right on home again.

Once again, Canada follows the lascivious drunkard's maxim: 'go ugly early.'

If only...

549001252409662.jpg

630_52.jpg

JubileeCampus-P-520x345.jpg

Last edited:
MOD's This thread is dead like 1 Bloor and a new one started like Number One Bloor with the correct info in the title.

That is why I started a new thread. The only thing I didn't know who the Architect was. We now know it is: George Friedman

All the post after mine need to be with it.

I don't think it's an old rendering...it's dated August 2009:

mcc_sheridan.jpg

Where is that surface parking as shown in the rendering? I hope that's not new.

Temporary Parking Lot

Its a temporary parking lot until the city builds the new parking garage.

I can confirm this is the most up to date rendering for the campus.

Louroz

Seems to me that parking in the foreground is the existing parking at the NW corner or Square One... the left portion being west of Zellers and that smaller portion being the Farmers Market lot.

The street coming up from the lower left is the new Square One Drive, so that traffic circle is where Square One Dr intersects with Duke of York.

Back