News   May 29, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 29, 2024
 433     0 
News   May 29, 2024
 763     0 

Sheppard Stubway

What course of action should be taken in regards to the Sheppard corridor?

• Total voters
Well I talked to Adam Giambrone, and when I asked whether these new routes will have less frequent stops or be different from existing routes, he responded "No, they're just regular streetcars. It'll be just like St. Clair or Spadina."

Calgary has signal priority over its entire length, and much less frequent stops. I don't even think they're at the forefront of technology. I'd love to see a system that ties in GPS tracking and signals and ensures that no streetcar ever hits a red light, even for a few moments.

In addition to more infrequent stops, the C-Train doesn't really even run down suburban roads that are anything like Sheppard or Finch, roads that are lined with almost continuous driveways, homes, strip malls, etc. It runs in highway medians (and 36 St. is practically a highway), parkland, rail corridors, avoids intersections by going through little tunnels, etc.

Well I talked to Adam Giambrone, and when I asked whether these new routes will have less frequent stops or be different from existing routes, he responded "No, they're just regular streetcars. It'll be just like St. Clair or Spadina."
Goddamn wonderful. So I suppose we can expect the relatively reliable suburban bus routes to turn into "Wait for twenty minutes and then have 5 vehicles arrive at once", then.

Calgary has signal priority over its entire length, and much less frequent stops. I don't even think they're at the forefront of technology. I'd love to see a system that ties in GPS tracking and signals and ensures that no streetcar ever hits a red light, even for a few moments.

How disappointing! You guys just might convince me yet that extending the Sheppard subway truly is the best option. Who knows, stranger things have happened ;).

Then we should expect St. Clair or Spadina stop spacing, which is different from Queen Street stop spacing or suburban bus stop spacing.

We're not talking about stopping every 100 metres here.

Spadina stops are closer together than the typical suburban bus route. I wonder if Transit City routes like Finch West will stop every 400m, every 1km, etc.

Spadina stops are closer together than the typical suburban bus route. I wonder if Transit City routes like Finch West will stop every 400m, every 1km, etc.

400-500m has been what I keep hearing. I think is a fair balance between local service and rapid transit.

It passes the "80 year old woman with arthritis in her knee" test.

* While not an official test, its how far my grandma used to walk to the grocery store every day when she lived in Rexdale.

So they're getting rid of maybe 1/3 of the bus stops. Of course, on suburban routes, about 1/3 of the bus stops are very infrequently used (the bus can usually skip them), so there won't really be any stops removed.

So they're getting rid of maybe 1/3 of the bus stops. Of course, on suburban routes, about 1/3 of the bus stops are very infrequently used (the bus can usually skip them), so there won't really be any stops removed.

If you wanna look at it that way, sure :p

It's not a matter of "looking," it's a matter of fact. Sheppard East stops about every 310-320m, and when you factor in some of the mid-block stops that are rarely used, you get a practical stop spacing of about 400m.

This is not rapid transit. Couple this with the guaranteed drop in vehicle frequency and people might start asking questions...

It's not a matter of "looking," it's a matter of fact. Sheppard East stops about every 310-320m, and when you factor in some of the mid-block stops that are rarely used, you get a practical stop spacing of about 400m.

This is not rapid transit. Couple this with the guaranteed drop in vehicle frequency and people might start asking questions...

Practical stop spacing of 400 metres is fact.

Your logic as why this will be true is an opinion (aka "a matter of looking at it"). It happens to be informed and correct, but it is an opinion none-the-less.

Oh... and funny how should say that 400 metres isn't rapid transit...

400 metres seems to work south of Queen, King, Union, St. Andrew & Osgood

I'm sure people would love it if 4 stations were added between Lawrence and Eglinton to reach that wonderfully quick 400m spacing!

I'm sure people would love it if 4 stations were added between Lawrence and Eglinton to reach that wonderfully quick 400m spacing!

Depending on the context of the neighbourhood and the context of the intention of the line, it may not be a bad idea. There are tradeoffs in each case. We need to balance speed with accessibility, and its never a clear cut decision.

Back