News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 325     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 888     0 

Shabby Public Realm

Can someone explain why every square inch of john street has a utility cut? Half the sidewalk bricks are craked, and the absolutely destroyed intersection was repaved but the crosswalk has sunken bits of concerte cracked and partially paved over inches away from the newly rebuild intersection.
track.PNG

Can someone explain why every square inch of john street has a utility cut? Half the sidewalk bricks are craked, and the absolutely destroyed intersection was repaved but the crosswalk has sunken bits of concerte cracked and partially paved over inches away from the newly rebuild intersection. View attachment 496618

Because Hydro just finished (I hope) a multi-year project to rebuild its infrastructure under John St.; the city is now set to rebuild John Street itself with all new streetscape including the road surface. So they're doing the cheapest possible short-term fixes.

Can someone explain why every square inch of john street has a utility cut? Half the sidewalk bricks are craked, and the absolutely destroyed intersection was repaved but the crosswalk has sunken bits of concerte cracked and partially paved over inches away from the newly rebuild intersection. View attachment 496618
Because it's a work in progress! (Admittedly very slow progress but ...)

Well, at least this sectipn of University will be getting fixed up!

Subject Matter of the Procurement: Watermain and Substandard Water Service Replacements, Bikeway Construction, and Major Road Resurfacing on University Avenue from College Street to approx. 120 m north of Queen Street West.
Mandatory Site Meeting Information: Not Applicable
Estimated Deadline for Submitting to Solicitation: August 25, 2023, 12:00 P.M. Noon (Local Toronto Time

My wife works for the TDSB at school level. They take graffiti removal seriously and have a dedicated team that goes from school to school clearing it off. If they can't remove the graffiti immediately and it's particularly heinous the team uses brick "colour" paint like this to temporarily cover it until the team can come back with the blasters.
Two months later and the patch work is still marring the school’s beautiful brick as badly as the tags themselves…

Last edited:
Two months later and the patch work is still marring the school’s beautiful brick as badly as the tags themselves…
Well yes, most of the staff are off for the summer. My wife is a ten month employee, for example, meaning she’s unpaid during the off season.

While the Skywalk is not necessarily public, as it appears to be owned by Allied Properties, it is used by, gosh, millions of residents and visitors a year?

This signage is almost as embarrassing as the nearby Salmon Run fountain.

View attachment 504090

This thing is disgusting now, plus lots of weird people hiding inside, I'd rather take the street now unless it was heavy rain.

Oh The Urbanity recapped some public realm/safety improvements in Montreal. It makes me a bit wistful about relatively slow and unambitious changes in the GTA. Hopefully we're just late and not differing too much in the direction. I do feel like change in accelerating here.

Back