News   Apr 26, 2024
 741     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 249     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 735     0 

Shabby Public Realm

Yes, that's exactly what the history link above says. Perhaps our TORONTO sign could ADD letters (TORONTOwe??)

We already added a maple leaf, and that was a rather cliched move that detracted from the design. Canada - resist the temptation to slap it on *everything* from logos (government and corporate), signage to dollar t-shirts.

AoD

Are there any charities that work specifically on improving, expanding, or building new public parks that are efficient operations? What's the best way to invest in public realm as an individual?

I'm usually the last one to complain about pasting a maple leaf on things, but when I first saw it, I definitely thought it was unfortunate and unnecessary, and wondered who the h*ll had authorized it.

Apparently it is some Canada 150 thing - fair enough, but let's hope it isn't permanent.

AoD

Coming to Council next week:

1. City Council approve the release of the Bloor Street Transformation Maintenance Reserve Fund in the amount of $245,896 (cost centre XR3401), in order to undertake granite repairs within the limits of this project, being a point 45 metres west of Avenue Road and St. Paul's Square.

Summary
This Motion seeks authorization to amend the Approved 2017 Capital Budget of Transportation Services, subsequent to the adoption of that budget, to include additional Bloor Street Transformation Maintenance Reserve Funds (the "Reserve Fund") of $245,896 (cost centre XR3401), in order to finance maintenance repairs for this project. The Bloor Street Transformation project spans along Bloor Street between a point 45 metres west of Avenue Road to St. Paul's Square.

The Board of Management of the Bloor Street Business Improvement Area entered into an agreement with the City in 2005, which, generally, outlines maintenance obligations, financing responsibilities and liability of each party. One of the items in this agreement requires the Business Improvement Area to contribute funds annually to the Reserve Fund until 2027. To date, the Reserve Fund has reached $245,896. The Business Improvement Area has requested Transportation Services to undertake specific repairs to the sidewalk granite pavers within the project area. Transportation Services is currently preparing a tender to complete the specified repairs.

The repairs will include the resetting and replacement of granite pavers as well as grout replacement required for roadside settlements and trip hazards. These repairs are necessary to improve the surface level of the sidewalk, accessibility, as well as maintain the integrity of the unique streetscape in this area.

I agree that our TORONTO sign is certainly not iconic YET but it MAY become so.

Honestly...do you really think that's going to happen?
Age alone does not make something iconic, but this sign is not going to last long enough to find out. I think you are confusing trendy with iconic. It's a very unoriginal idea that doesn't possess any of the elements that could lead to it being iconic.

Whether you like it or not it IS a popular tourist 'destination' - which may say something about the lack of exciting tourist destinations here!

No...NPS is a destination. That sign is just an overly obvious place in the square to pose for a picture. Personally, I would much rather have my picture taken in front of the Henry Moore then that stupid sign...but I guess I'm not most people.

New City tender call to look at Utility Cuts - I suppose it might result in getting more repaired, properly & promptly.

Commodity: Professional Services, Consulting Services
Description:
Utility Cut Backlog
The purpose of this RFP is to select a qualified Vendor to carry out field inspections on various utility cut permits throughout the City of Toronto on behalf of the City's Transportation Services Division. The Vendor will verify if any work has been done under the utility cut permit, determine whether the cut has been repaired, and evaluate whether any further type of repair is required. The Vendor will mark the area of repair, calculate the quantity of the materials needed to make the repair, price the repair, and update a database. The Vendor will be responsible for supplying all necessary materials and equipment to complete the required information in the City supplied database described in Appendix F. This information includes the x-y coordinates for all permits and cuts. An image of the database can be viewed in Appendix F. The detailed work functions and technical specifications of the required information are described in "Section 3.0 - Scope of Work" and "Appendix F - Project Reference Material".

Questions about this RFP should be directed in writing to Kristijan Milevski, at e-mail Kristijan.Milevski@toronto.ca The last day for questions with respect to this RFP is May 16, 2017 at 12:00 noon.
Issue date: May 1, 2017
ecblank.gif
Closing date: May 23, 2017
at 12:00 Noon

What's the best way to invest in public realm as an individual?

Lots of things you can do...

Cultivate a better sense of taste. The public realm is tatty because it has become acceptable. Never used to be that way. People used to go to NPS to see the Henry Moore....not a stupid plastic sign that says TORONTO.

Put your effing dog back on its leash you irresponsible dog owner!! Yell at dog owners when you see them doing it (they really like that). ;)

Stop spitting on the street you disgusting low life.

It is your public duty to suffocate any taggers you happen to catch.

That's just a couple off the top of my head....there's lots more.

I noticed the sidewalks on the SE and SW corners of Bay and Wellington have been "squared off". Not sure if that's right right term, but basically the sidewalks have been extended into where cars normally turn, forming a right angle. Adds more space for people and less for cars. Seems like a great move and hope to see this rolled out to other corners.

I noticed the sidewalks on the SE and SW corners of Bay and Wellington have been "squared off". Not sure if that's right right term, but basically the sidewalks have been extended into where cars normally turn, forming a right angle. Adds more space for people and less for cars. Seems like a great move and hope to see this rolled out to other corners.

As I understand it, also a traffic mitigation measure intended to slow down turning cars.

Not shabby at all (despite this thread).

I think these are called "bump outs" and they've been the norm for new downtown sidewalk infrastructure for a few years now. They are throughout the new West Donlands (aka Canary District) area, as well as all along Front Street East. There's some info about them on pages 12 through 15 in this PDF "Streetscape Manual" which is specific to the Entertainment District but seems to match what we're seeing elsewhere.

http://torontoed.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/TEDBIA_StreetscapePaletteUpdate_Feb2014.pdf

Back