News   Apr 26, 2024
 567     2 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 216     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 700     0 

Shabby Public Realm

Is anyone familiar with rubber as a substitute for cement/asphalt sidewalks, pathways, roads, etc.? Would this not be a more durable material to use in Toronto and one that can better withstand the freeze/thaw cycles that cause bulging and cracking? All it takes is a single winter to cause damage to freshly built/paved surfaces. A park path was recently repaved in my neighbourhood a couple of summers ago and it is already breaking off along some edges.

traditional-outdoor-products.jpg

RFM_4230.jpg

7035.jpeg

ProductWizard_Roads.jpg

In North York Centre, I see that all of the trees in the centre median have been cut down. Well done Toronto.

Screen shot 2016-04-22 at 3.29.09 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-04-22 at 3.29.09 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-04-22 at 3.29.09 PM.png
    776.5 KB · Views: 441
In North York Centre, I see that all of the trees in the centre median have been cut down. Well done Toronto.
My first thought was that they must have been sick and this Streetview from last summer shows I was right. Why did you think it was some sort of mindless tree-hate? The City are not perfect (god knows!) but they do try to look after healthy trees.

trees.jpg

Attachments

• trees.jpg
    trees.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 457
My first thought was that they must have been sick and this Streetview from last summer shows I was right. Why did you think it was some sort of mindless tree-hate? The City are not perfect (god knows!) but they do try to look after healthy trees.

That's not what I think. Whenever I see dead street trees, to me it says that the city hasn't done a good job at providing the proper growing conditions. Just look at Waterfront Toronto to see how it should be done.

That's not what I think. Whenever I see dead street trees, to me it says that the city hasn't done a good job at providing the proper growing conditions. Just look at Waterfront Toronto to see how it should be done.
I am not a tree expert but the trees on Yonge that you pictured look like ash trees. Tens of thousands of these have been and will be cut down due to the Emerald Ash Borer, this can hardly be blamed on the City. I do agree with you that WT have generally been able to provide far better tree planting spaces than the City but you need to remember that WT is, generally, working in empty areas where they can install proper tree pits, silva cells etc. The City are greatly restricted by the huge number of underground pipes, wires and stuff under our sidewalks and by the fact that most streets/sidewalks are really too narrow for proper conditions even if there are no obstructions.

I notice a lot of mature plane trees that seem to thrive in pretty challenging environments in other cities, but we don't seem to use them as street trees in Toronto. It can't be that our climate is too cold, because I've seen a few around the city doing just fine in parks. Is this just another example of Toronto's inability to do things that work in other cities, or is there some legitimate reason we don't plant them?

Aren't they the ones that allows trees to be cut down at Queen's Quay to make way for a movie shoot?

I notice a lot of mature plane trees that seem to thrive in pretty challenging environments in other cities, but we don't seem to use them as street trees in Toronto. It can't be that our climate is too cold, because I've seen a few around the city doing just fine in parks. Is this just another example of Toronto's inability to do things that work in other cities, or is there some legitimate reason we don't plant them?
The City tried plane trees on The Esplanade a couple of years ago and though they had huge tree trenches and seemed healthy they mainly died. They were replaced with something else last spring. I do not think most plane tree species are native to Eastern Canada.

The City tried plane trees on The Esplanade a couple of years ago and though they had huge tree trenches and seemed healthy they mainly died. They were replaced with something else last spring. I do not think most plane tree species are native to Eastern Canada.
Best I've read is that plane trees are for the most part native to northern and eastern Europe, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platanus

There is one native plane tree species to North America, Platanus occidentalis, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platanus_occidentalis But I wonder if they're sufficiently hardy.

Best I've read is that plane trees are for the most part native to northern and eastern Europe, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platanus

There is one native plane tree species to North America, Platanus occidentalis, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platanus_occidentalis But I wonder if they're sufficiently hardy.

They seem to do well in along Memorial Drive in Cambridge, Massachusetts, which is almost as cold as Toronto. Also lots in NYC which is admittedly warmer.

Back