News   May 03, 2024
 263     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 371     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 808     0 

Section 37 and transit

Haha yes it is. Good old american chain. I hope im not violating any copyright laws.

Speaking of US, I wonder how other cities are dealing with Section 37 like payments. I would be interested to see what Miami does with all those condos.

Haha yes it is. Good old american chain. I hope im not violating any copyright laws.

Speaking of US, I wonder how other cities are dealing with Section 37 like payments. I would be interested to see what Miami does with all those condos.

Ha! I knew it! Publix is one the best!!

I'm unfamiliar about Miami, but my guess is the closes example would be Chicago. Ward Alderman can negotiate development extractions to pay for public benefits in exchange for their support for additional density. Alderman have significant influence over what gets built in their ward, so their support carries a lot of weight. What classifies as public benefit is also broad from my understanding.

The other cities I'm familiar with allow the practice to an extent. The amount of the extraction is determined by formula and written into the zoning/comp plan, but even then the amount of additional density is capped by an absolute maximum. Also, there is usually less involvement from politicals since the planning department reports their recommendations to a planning board which makes the final recommendations to the legislative body. The nuances vary from state to state, city to city.

Back