News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 401     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 997     1 

Scotiabank Arena (Air Canada Centre) Renovations

I know the 200 level consists of The Hot Stove as well as Air Canada Club which overlook the suite seats onto the playing surface, and are generally filled to capacity during game day.

From Tuesday night: not the best quality, but you can see the new black seats that are replacing the current ones in the Platinum section. This must have just recently happened because I don't recall seeing them the few times I went to the ACC in December. I suspect that they want to have them all replaced in time for the NBA All-Star Weekend. On a side note, at least this shade of black will better match all the suits that sit there for Leafs games!
View attachment 65127
View attachment 65128

They are still "platinum" just a darker shade of grey, closer to slate in my eyes. Also the support structures for the seats are now black vs the old greenish steel. They have been replacing them in patches since last summer.

I like the fact that the ACC -- and Maple Leaf Gardens before it -- has/had multiple coloured seats. It looks more interesting, when the seats are empty, vs. one all encompassing colour for an entire arena; like you see in basically every other venue. How many other professional hockey and basketball arenas have variable toned seats?

I have always liked the multi-coloured seats at Air Canada Centre, I feel it gives the arena a more timeless look, in some capacity. Much more memorable than the all-blue arenas like First Niagara in Buffalo, Columbus, St-Louis etc. Back on the topic of suites and clubs at the ACC, here's the new Drake Club that occupies the 200 Level, in the former employees' cafeteria.

http://torontolife.com/food/bars-and-clubs/drake-sher-club-air-canada-centre/

I really like the multi-coloured seats too.

In spite of the renos, I feel like the ACC has aged well. Many arenas age terribly. The First Niagara Centre was built only three years before the ACC, but already feels worn and obsolete.

MLSE has done a good job in constantly updating and renovating the ACC through small steps, which in turn has made a big impact. Buffalo hasn't had the money sadly to upgrade First Niagara. Seats are looking a little worn, and the concourse is just a write-off. Green floors with blotches here and there, tacky tiling, and leaking ceilings in some areas.

2014-11-15 18.32.33.jpg

I took this photo November 2015. This is the better looking part of the green floor.

If Buffalo updated the arena, it would definitely look something similar to Wells Fargo in Philadelphia, which also opened in 1996 but has been maintained and upgraded more so than Buffalo.

At any rate, I would like the see MLSE tackle the 300 level concourse. Compared to everything else in the ACC, the concourse up there feels a tad dark.

Attachments

• 2014-11-15 18.32.33.jpg
    2014-11-15 18.32.33.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 1,367
The gorgeous facades of the old postal terminal help in that respect. Every time I am back in Ottawa, I am always struck by the sight of the salmon colour oil drum next to the highway where the Sens play hockey.
If only the entire postal terminal exterior was salvaged...The glass facades look cheap and sterile and I don't like the look of the silver roof structure.

Adding up the various reno's and upgrades since the ACC opened you get pretty darned close to the original cost being spent again. It has made the place always feel new/refreshed and gives the impression this is meant as a forever home rather than the current trend towards disposable after 25 - 30 years arenas....sort of Toronto's MSG?

http://www.tsn.ca/mlse-agrees-to-record-arena-rights-deal-with-scotiabank-1.842133

Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment has agreed to a landmark 20-year sponsorship agreement with Scotiabank to rename the Air Canada Centre, TSN has learned.

The agreement is worth about $800 million (Canadian), according to three sources familiar with the matter. Under MLSE’s previous agreement with Air Canada, struck in 1999, the airline paid about $4 million per year.

The agreement with Scotiabank, which will see the downtown Toronto arena renamed the Scotiabank Arena next July 1, is believed to be the highest-priced annual building and team sponsorship in North American sports history.

Yeeuchhh. So Scotiabank has been bailing on arts sponsorships everywhere so that they can spend the cash on renaming another arena? And MLSE is going to be reaping $40m a year for that? Their philanthropy better be huge in the coming years. Overall: feh.

Scotiabank Arena is an asinine name, but I suppose it's better than Boston Pizza Place.

Personally, I just get tired of the corporate name shuffle.

ACC was a decent nickname for the place - a common way to refer to the place without contributing to corporate promotion. It would be nice if ACC stuck, despite the shift to Scotiabank Arena. In Ottawa, when the NHL arena was called Scotiabank Place, some people tried to make "The Bank" a thing, but it never really stuck (thank God).

Scotiabank Arena is an asinine name, but I suppose it's better than Boston Pizza Place.

Personally, I just get tired of the corporate name shuffle.

ACC was a decent nickname for the place - a common way to refer to the place without contributing to corporate promotion. It would be nice if ACC stuck, despite the shift to Scotiabank Arena. In Ottawa, when the NHL arena was called Scotiabank Place, some people tried to make "The Bank" a thing, but it never really stuck (thank God).

This is just like the Amphitheatre becoming Budweiser Stage (or whatever the hell they are calling it).

You didn't need to say the sponsor name, people knew what it was.

I'm shocked that the media value is anywhere near that for Scotiabank. That's a huge sum of money.
The brand value of the Raptors has skyrocketed in recent years, and the Leafs are actually becoming relevant again. So the media value and the brand exposure is certainly worth more than it was in 2010 for example. I'm probably not understanding this entirely, but $400 million seems a bit steep for just naming rights, considering the thing was a $265m build, which is still just $371m with inflation. Ignoring maintenance and operational costs, they could just build a new facility and get perpetual naming rights.

Back