News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 352     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 914     1 

Scarborough RT Conversion To Park

I looked and googled to see if this was already posted. I support this idea and wonder if it could be done in a piecemeal way as funds become available? Say 100m at a time.

This has already been discussed here:

And not this article, but this subject, here:

Tear it all down. Build a linear park on the old ROW between Midland and McCowan. Maybe even allow some food stalls there.

The Highline fetish is unoriginal and not something we can afford to maintain.

Highline is only interesting because of the urban context - which is nothing like that stretch of Line 3. Replicating it here makes no sense.

AoD

Does this corridor have a value as:

a) A route for the future Sheppard line extension? Even if an elevated heavy, noisy subway is not desirable, then perhaps a shallow cut-n-cover could help with the cost.

Or, b) A bicycle-only route; then the existing guideway will probably do, just with the new pavement.

Green space is important, too, but it does not need to be continuous. While continous corridors for transportation are rare, and should be utitilized where possible.

a) A route for the future Sheppard line extension? Even if an elevated heavy, noisy subway is not desirable, then perhaps a shallow cut-n-cover could help with the cost.

Or, b) A bicycle-only route; then the existing guideway will probably do, just with the new pavement.

Green space is important, too, but it does not need to be continuous. While continous corridors for transportation are rare, and should be utitilized where possible.
Honestly? Now that we've committed to the form that the SSE has, and and least expressed an explicit attempt for a Sheppard Subway that stays on Sheppard.... I don't know if the corridor DOES have a lot of value left.

Highline is only interesting because of the urban context - which is nothing like that stretch of Line 3. Replicating it here makes no sense.

AoD

To be fair, there's a lot of buildings planned in that area. So I kinda get the comparison to High Line. That said, this city scraping pennies off the floor. What's the chance they keep something like that in good condition, in Scarborough? And how do they make sure the bottom doesn't become a giant open pit homeless shelter?

I really struggle to see how the sheppard line could ever utilize this corridor.
And in regards to the conversion to a busway, I can not think of any TTC bus route that can or should utilize the corridor after the SSE is complete.

Honestly? Now that we've committed to the form that the SSE has, and and least expressed an explicit attempt for a Sheppard Subway that stays on Sheppard.... I don't know if the corridor DOES have a lot of value left.

I really struggle to see how the sheppard line could ever utilize this corridor.
And in regards to the conversion to a busway, I can not think of any TTC bus route that can or should utilize the corridor after the SSE is complete.

Fair enough. However, is the guideway usable as a bike-only route? Or is it preferable to remove the guideway and perhaps create a bike route at the surface level?

Fair enough. However, is the guideway usable as a bike-only route? Or is it preferable to remove the guideway and perhaps create a bike route at the surface level?

The overpasses over major roads have value, perhaps, as do the elevated stations - that architecture will be "heritage" soon, perhaps already - but the remainder has little value as an elevated structure....scenic, it ain't.
Both the elevated and at-grade portions will need a lot of work to create a flat, safe walkable or cyclable surface. And will demand much maintenance over time.
My vote would be to demolish the concrete guideway other than at road overpasses and stations, so that the width at grade can be used more constructively for bikes, pedestrians, etc.

- Paul

AoD
I'm not sure I agree. Whilst today STC is just an upscale mall, in the future the province wants to make it a major TOC cluster. As such I don't think its unreasonable that given 10-20 years, STC will have the urban context to make the highline interesting.

I think it has purpose as a minor detour for a future Ellesmere RT (LRT Maybe?). Since the SSE doesn't have a station directly on Ellesmere, it would make a bit of sense to have the LRT turn off of Ellesmere and reuse the Scarborough RT ROW to better connect it to STC and the SSE (+ bus terminal). Sure if this happens it would be 30-40 years from now, but its never a bad thing to preserve ROW for such occasions anyway.

Fair enough. However, is the guideway usable as a bike-only route?

No.

Or is it preferable to remove the guideway and perhaps create a bike route at the surface level?

Yes.

The guideway has little value other than a couple of grade-separated crossings, that only gets you to Midland.

But its also isolated, w/o accessibility or frequent entrance/exits.

The cost of adding an elevator or ramp every 500M is substantial, and even that leaves you trapped for the intervening distance.

There is no room in the N-S portion of the corridor north of Lawrence for a bikeway, if a busway were retained.

Even if the busway were removed, I don't see bikes being allowed to use the SRT fly-under tunnel which would mean an expensive new connecition under/over Stouffville GO.

For the same money, instead of 1.6 km of elevated guideway, we can literally build more than 10x or 16km of new off-road multi-use trail in Scarborough. This can go in the Warden Hydro Corridor, the Finch Hydro Corridor, some of the former Scarborough Expressway Lands, and along the old Canadian Northern ROW from Warden to Kennedy Stations.

I'm not sure I agree. Whilst today STC is just an upscale mall, in the future the province wants to make it a major TOC cluster. As such I don't think its unreasonable that given 10-20 years, STC will have the urban context to make the highline interesting.

You are dealing with a more or less haphazardly built out, public space deficient regenerated urban area in the case of NYC throughout pretty much the entire length of Highline in NYC - the TOC, even when fully occupied, is nothing like that. You'd be far, far better off spending the money on proper streetscaping and urban design than keeping up a hulk of concrete that would ironically interfere negatively with streetscaping.

AoD

Apologies for the length of this post.

I don't think anyone would disagree that we need more cycle infrastructure in Scarborough.

Regardless of whether or not the guideway remains or is removed, we need to take a hard look at keeping the SRT right of way for a multi use trail.

Developments in the Scarborough Town area bring many more cyclists. The proposed development at 100 Borough alone has parking planned for over 1,700 bicycles.

There is no current cycling infrastructure connecting this section of Scarborough to anywhere else, let alone the rest of Toronto.

It is important to note the SRT right of way connects to the proposed West Scarborough Rail Path.

A multi use trail along the SRT / West Scarborough Rail Path would allow cyclists riding from Scarborough Town to directly connect with:
  • The Meadoway: Zoo - Harbourfront - Martin Goodman Trail
  • Warden Woods: Gus Harris Trail - Danforth Cycle Track
Moving forward with this amazing cycling super highway would bring many challenges, but it is not impossible.

Understood it is a real long shot, but to quote @Northern Light "nothing wrong w/thinking big thoughts, they would never get done if someone didn't!"

Today I flew the SRT route with the drone, starting at Scarborough Town and ending at Kennedy Station where the West Scarborough Rail Path begins.

15 images 😳

SRT Trail - 1.jpeg

SRT Trail - 2.jpeg

SRT Trail - 4.jpeg

SRT Trail - 5.jpeg

SRT Trail - 6.jpeg

SRT Trail - 7.jpeg

SRT Trail - 8.jpeg

SRT Trail - 9.jpeg

SRT Trail - 10.jpeg

SRT Trail - 11.jpeg

SRT Trail - 12.jpeg