1.3K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.6K     10 

Sarah Palin Quits Alaska Governorship

MetroMan

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/07/03/palin/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Gov. Sarah Palin announced Friday that she will step down as Alaska's chief executive by the end of the month. She will not seek election to a second gubernatorial term in 2010.

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin announces she's stepping down this month.

Palin, a Republican, was elected governor in 2006. She was tapped as Arizona Sen. John McCain's vice presidential running mate last year.

Palin said she was transferring authority to Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell, who will be sworn in at the Governor's Picnic on July 25.

A Republican source close to her political team told CNN's John King that it was a "calculation" she made that "it was time to move on." The governor's "book deal and other issues" were "causing a lot of friction" in her home state, the source said, adding that he believes she is "mapping out a path to 2012."

As the 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee, Palin has been considered one of the front-runners for the GOP nomination in 2012. Her decision not to seek another term as governor is sure to stoke speculation that Palin is seriously eyeing a run for the White House.

"So, no decision yet on either 2010 or let alone 2012?" Blitzer asked.

"No decision that I'd want to announce today," Palin responded.

Palin catapulted on the national stage last August when McCain, the Republican presidential nominee, chose her as his running mate.

I so hope Palin runs in 2012 and clinches the nomination. A debate between the incumbent, articulate and intellectual President Barack Obama and the ditzy Palin would be very entertaining to watch (we've seen her airhead interviews).

By then, the economy will have rebounded, Obama will be seen to have kept most of his promises (he has a filibuster proof Super Majority right now to run his plan smoothly through both houses), troops will have been pulled out of Iraq and all Americans will have access to long overdue healthcare insurance. Baring any major stumbling event, I think he's a shoe-in, even looking this far into the future.

If anything, Palin should be focusing on running for the Senate or Congress in 2010, and then set her sights towards 2016 when Hillary will be the likely democratic nominee and the female vote will play a big part in that election.

After 8 years as Secretary of State, the Republicans won't be able to play the inexperience card against Clinton while Palin, who was mayor of a small town and never completed a full gubernatorial term would be the victim of that Republican 2008 campaign argument.

Last edited:
She won't win the nomination. For all its faults the Republican party (most of its membership anyway) does understand pragmatism and electability. I doubt they want to hand the election on a platter to Obama. Even they've cringed during the Palin interviews. I doubt they want to have a year long campaign with that feeling.

Here's her resignation video: http://tpmtv.talkingpointsmemo.com/?id=2872351&ref=fpblg

A rambling, hastily-thrown together speech given on the Friday afternoon before a long weekend? This move seems almost sure to have been driven by a looming scandal.

This is not how someone would launch a presidential campaign. This is someone looking to minimize damage.

Seems bizarre to resign 16 months before the end-of-term. She's already shown that holding office isn't a barrier to seeking election to a different office. And surely quitting is only going to hurt her chances of winning some other office.

So I can only assume that something big is about to come out, that would force her to resign, and she's quitting now, to minimize the impact.

I agree with both you guys. Something is going to surface soon: She killed Michael Jackson. She might even be responsible for the streak of celebrity deaths.

maybe she thinks north korea is gonna strike wasilla?

she had an affair with david letterman?

step aside nailin' paylin, is there a real miss wasilla sextape out there?

The Republican Party would have to be hard up for candidates to go to her for a future nomination, though a capable vice-residential candidate might help her. I wonder if she can keep herself consistently in the public eye from now until then or just fades away.

By then, the economy will have rebounded, Obama will be seen to have kept most of his promises (he has a filibuster proof Super Majority right now to run his plan smoothly through both houses), troops will have been pulled out of Iraq and all Americans will have access to long overdue healthcare insurance. Baring any major stumbling event, I think he's a shoe-in, even looking this far into the future.
Sounds nice, but I think you're assuming way too much.

lol she could have stayed to be the Queen of Alaska if she wanted to...

OMG, wasn't her 15 minutes over an hour ago !!???!!

breaking news: sex tape surfaces of bristol doing a moose

Back