News   Jun 04, 2024
 611     0 
News   Jun 04, 2024
 504     1 
News   Jun 04, 2024
 1K     0 

Ryerson: Master Plan

Yes, we'll probably always have crusading commercial interests trying to move "undesirables" ( i.e. people they don't happen to like ) to some other part of town - preventing the homeless from having a shelter here because it's reserved for nightclubs, or a nightclub somewhere else because it's a condo district, or whatever. This part of the city has an unfortunate history of commercial interests using the spectre of moral turpitude as an excuse to expand their domain - the hysteria to "clean up Yonge Street" in order to make the city a more economically lucrative shopping district following the Jacques murder for instance. The term "clean up Yonge Street" is now being harnessed for the public good in order to make it a place safe for higher education - though it's gotta be "edgy" too.

Ryerson has gotten quite aggressive with security trying to address concerns from Parents. If you haven't notice Ryerson is getting flooded with thousands of new students living in the suburbs especially the 905.

I rarely ever see a seedy person around the Gould/Victoria street area...

Re: Aura and its affect on Yonge. I somehow doubt this, or don't see why Aura would have more of an effect than ROCP 1 + 2 and the Mets as well. I usually find statements about the effect a new building will have on a neighbourhood to not really pan out after it's completed.

Yes the one murder 3 years ago ....... I'm not in any way undermining that tragedy as it was one.

But at the same time there's really NO WAY to prevent such incedents from taking place EVER. In no way would I consider most of Yonge street downtown seedy ... the only argument you can make is regarding the homeless people who can be found in the area.

Yes at times College Park isn't the best place to be at night time but honestly I don't find that as much of a problem in recent years.

Either way, I've never associated Yonge street with crime and seediness but then again it depends what seediness implies ... are run of the mill gift shops / strip clubs and the like == seedy. Then I hope it stays that way even though I never frequent such places, as someone said that is really the edginess Yonge needs. Otherwise it's just another Bloor street ....

Yonge street should have something for everyone! Even things other's might consider seedy.

But at the same time there's really NO WAY to prevent such incedents from taking place EVER. In no way would I consider most of Yonge street downtown seedy ... the only argument you can make is regarding the homeless people who can be found in the area.
Homeless folk are everywhere, I see less on Yonge Street than I do in my own neighbourhood. One of the most aggressive panhandlers that I have come across in years was as I was about 100 feet from entering the Sheppard subway station on the north/west corner a few months back. I rarely ever experience someone as spooky as that dude. Point is, these folks are not just found on downtown Yonge Street.

Yonge street should have something for everyone! Even things other's might consider seedy.

Yonge Street (I'm talkin' about the "seedy" section from Gerrard to Bloor) has tons of great places to eat & fast food outlets, offbeat clothiers, nail salons, memorabilia shops, non-chain related electronics stores with knowledgeable and helpful staff, fly-by-night electronic stores with useless staff, hair salons, psychics, tattoo parlours, 2nd hand game & music shops, banks, health food stores, drug stores, coffee shops, bargain stores, head shops, luggage outlets, a few adult emporiums thrown in for good measure - and so much more. This area does indeed have something for just about everyone!

I'm sad to see Sam's go, it holds as much nostalgia to me as say Maple Leaf Gardens. It was my go-to music store for probably 30 years. I'm optimistic about what Ryerson can do to this corner. In contrast to what is on the south side of the street, it can only be an improvement!

I'm personally not opposed to change but the idea of chasing away homeless people, shutting down adult entertainment venues and "beautifying" this strip with a mile of shiny chain stores and upscale boutiques makes me sad for what we will lose.

It doesn't matter what they're selling, lap dances or whatever. If we could just clean up a bit it'd make a world of difference. Nice sidewalks, less tacky-looking signage, fresh coats of paint... I think that's all that's really lacking here.

In Hamburg, the Reeperbahn is one of the city's attractions. I found it a bit underwhelming, but then, I was there in the daytime. I suspect it had more cachet at night.

I agree about the panhandling problem ... but from what I've seen better it's been getting better over the years not worse.

I also agree that cleaning up the sidewalks would do a lot for the area. The Yonge BIA seems to focus on the area from College down to Queen but ignores the Northern stretch.

As I've mentioned a few times, if cleaning up Yonge street equates to brining in the run of the mill popular chain clothing stores - like a couple stretches in this City (Bloor ... Queen west (part of it) ... the Eaton Center). Then please leave it as trashy as it is today!

Just want a wider cleaner sidewalk with nice looking light standards and some decorative items here and there...

The Yonge BIA seems to focus on the area from College down to Queen but ignores the Northern stretch.

The Downtown Yonge BIA only extends to Alexander, just north of College. There is no improvement area on Yonge north of College until Charles Street (the southern boundary of the Bloor-Yorkville BIA).

Then that's the problem isn't it :)

hahaha! :D

Hey that's not fair anymore, maybe 5/10 years ago though ;)

Just want a wider cleaner sidewalk

Thank you. I am not the only one who thinks this for Yonge.

My dream for Yonge is single traffic both ways. Those extra two lanes claimed will have 2/3 go to sidewalks and 1/3 go to bike lanes.

If you look at the numbers, Yonge St is a pedestrian artery, not a car artery, how much longer do the walkers in the city need to get squeezed between signs, and cars?

Why is there 4 lanes of traffic on Yonge? Single lane will reduce speed. On a pedestrian artery, that is a good thing. People should not be going 60 kmph on Yonge, but they do.

Back