News   May 02, 2024
 426     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 183     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 240     0 

Royal Conservatory Of Music - Telus Centre for Performance & Learning (KPMB)

There's a big windowless wall on the south side, that runs to the full height of the building and is finished in the smaller less de luxe grey stone blocks, that's easy to dismiss - but some might find quite delightful.

The creative act's a subjective exercise by the artist, but a sensible critique of what's been created goes beyond one person saying "I like it" and another person saying "I don't" and relegating the judgement of what has value and what doesn't to a mere difference of opinion. The good thing about this forum is seeing what widely differing values different people ascribe to the same building, and why, based on their own values concerning what has merit.

Just wanted to say thanks for the interest in our project! I've particularly appreciated the great photos that have been posted in this forum.

Our website shows some photos taken in August of the site interior: http://www.rcmusic.ca/ContentPage.aspx?name=Construction_Updates

The academic areas of the TELUS Centre (including the heritage building) will open in September 2008. The concert hall will open in January 2009.

I'm looking forward to seeing the lineup of who is performing in the new hall. We're so fortunate to have this, and the U of T Faculty of Music next door, both downtown. I don't mind getting on the subway and going up to the Weston occasionally, and I hope it goes from strength to strength because the acoustics there are so good, but this will be the icing on the cake - coming so soon after the new opera house.

RCM Staffer: Thanks for the link to the interior photos. I hope that an open house will be held upon completion of the new building. I look forward to it highlighting "Doors Open 2009"!

more photos

The construction schedule makes public tours tricky, but you can see some recent construction site photos on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/10195286@N05/
We're also planning to hold an open house and other celebration events when the academic areas of the TELUS Centre open in September 2008. Stay tuned for details!

Thanks "RCM Staff" for posting the photos on Flickr! I've been watching the RCM re-invention with bated breath from day one. Not only is the building wonderful, the views from it are equally so.

Photo update from this morning:

20071220RCM001.jpg

Window trim installation.

20071220RCM002.jpg

Context shot.

20071220RCM003.jpg

Glass entrance from afar.

20071220RCM004.jpg

Closeup - frosted glass on the sides. I found the metal plating at the corners rather distracting - the way it was handled at CCBR is far more elegant.

20071220RCM005.jpg

Looking up.

AoD

Of all Toronto's recent cultural projects, this is shaping up to be my favourite. The richness of materials, fit and finish and attention to detail, not to mention the overall design, are just wonderful (though your point about the glass entrance-box is well-taken). Thanks for posting the pic's.

condovo:

The richness of materials, fit and finish and attention to detail, not to mention the overall design, are just wonderful .

Not quite - I didn't take a pic of the western facade of the addition, and while it isn't abyssmally poor, richness of materials isn't one of the word I would associate with it.

AoD

When does this facility open? Any images of the interior? I am looking forward to the views from inside the main lobby overlooking Philosophers' Walk during the fall when the leaves are turning; it should be a unique event space with an incomparable setting.

I love this project, just great, brings back memories as I used to play violin in that place, and it was quite the maze. The additions are beautiful. Bravo!

Back