News   May 21, 2024
 657     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 499     0 

Roving Gang

Southoftheborder

Member Bio
Reaction score
The CTV news had a story about a group of guys wanting around near downtown attacking people. One was near Gerrard and a cross street I've forgotten. Is this somehow related to those housing projects? Is this a strong argument for boarding subways and street cars over walking places? Yeh, I know all about how safe Toronto is. The stats certainly make it look like a Garden of Eden, but getting knifed in the Garden of Eden is twice as bad.

What is noteworthy about this attack is the fact that it occurred across the street from Police Headquarters!

This serves as a reminder that you cannot and must not rely on cops to keep you safe from attacks. They rarely do, instead they show up after the fact to string police tape and take pictures and witness statements.

Be prepared to defend yourself if you are out late at night. It's a good idea to carry with you a can of "bear repellent".

Incidents like this remind me why we need to change our concealed carry laws in Canada. There could have been a better outcome if the victims were carrying firearms.

What is noteworthy about this attack is the fact that it occurred across the street from Police Headquarters!

This serves as a reminder that you cannot and must not rely on cops to keep you safe from attacks. They rarely do, instead they show up after the fact to string police tape and take pictures and witness statements.

Be prepared to defend yourself if you are out late at night. It's a good idea to carry with you a can of "bear repellent".

Incidents like this remind me why we need to change our concealed carry laws in Canada. There could have been a better outcome if the victims were carrying firearms.

Yes, because we should look to the States for advice on reducing violence.. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, I know this is a serious issue, but this was the first thing I thought of when I read the title:

[video=youtube;OFiN7Zsz2zM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFiN7Zsz2zM[/video]

Better outcome? Probably several casualties since - to begin with - the robbers would have certainly been carrying firearms as well.

It takes a certain degree of paranoia to think that adding more firearms in the mix can do any good.

There could have been a better outcome if the victims were carrying firearms.
But then we'd end up like some third-world country where they have the right to arm bears, and then the polar bears would win. Have you checked out out the shooting death rate in such places? Much, much higher than ours.

There is a funny saying: An armed society is a polite society .... ( I think this came from Archie Bunker )

There have been some credible studies on concealed carry.
In virtually all concealed carry areas, crimes like this are rare. Nobody needs to even be armed,
it's the possibility that the victim may themselves be armed that makes the criminal element move
to more helpless areas.

And then there is the whole issue of reporting statistics themselves, very few, if any, encounters
where a crime is avoided ever get recorded. If a person with a firearm ( say a cop ) shows up
when a crime is taking place and the individuals scatter after noticing the armed officer, no criminal
act happens, no crime statistics. Similarly, if someone is approached at night with clear intent of
harm, but who shows they are armed and avoids an assault/rape or other crime, this does not
get recorded.

What about the scourge of unicorn-on-leprechaun crime? Does the National Leprechaun Association also have credible studies on jurisdictions with concealed unicorn repellent carry laws? Also, I understand Care-a-lot has had great success with its concealed belly-badge laws, but of course Professor Coldheart and Frostbite are always attacking the credibility of clearly objective studies demonstrating the phenomenon.

In virtually all concealed carry areas, crimes like this are rare. Nobody needs to even be armed,
it's the possibility that the victim may themselves be armed that makes the criminal element move
to more helpless areas.

You are probably thinking of the statistical analysis by John Lott. Quite a few researchers in the area do not consider this work credible at all. See his wikipedia page. We could discuss it more but he's SLAPP-happy, so watch out!

There is a funny saying: An armed society is a polite society .... ( I think this came from Archie Bunker )

to more helpless areas.

And then there is the whole issue of reporting statistics themselves, very few, if any, encounters
where a crime is avoided ever get recorded. If a person with a firearm ( say a cop ) shows up
when a crime is taking place and the individuals scatter after noticing the armed officer, no criminal
act happens, no crime statistics. Similarly, if someone is approached at night with clear intent of
harm, but who shows they are armed and avoids an assault/rape or other crime, this does not
get recorded.

This is true. In Chicago handguns are banned and yet Chicago is now the murder capital of the USA?

Meanwhile, jurisdictions in places like Texas and Florida where concealed carry is allowed they have some of the lowest murder rates in America! What does this tell us?

Violent crime in Toronto has not reached anywhere near the level where I feel the need to carry a firearm (usually its some Somalian gang-banger killing another Somalian gang-banger) but if it gets any worse it would sure be nice to have that option!

Last edited:

Back