News   May 10, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.7K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Roncesvalles Reconstruction

The PDF for the October 20 construction update is available at this link.

TTC track work is essentially complete; outstanding TTC work includes the installation of overhead wires and signal controls. These activities may require TTC crews to be on site on a 24-hour cycle on weekdays and may also involve work on some weekends.

Streetscape improvements, including elements such as sidewalk replacement, transit platforms, tree trenches and / or open planting beds, are in progress on the west side. The sidewalk replacement is complete from Queen Street West to Galley Avenue on the west side.

From the date of this Notice (October 20, 2010) to about December 3, 2010, streetscape improvements and road reconstruction activities will be carried out in approximately ten stages, with the first four being on the west side progressing northerly to Dundas Street West. The remaining stages will be on the east side, namely from Neepawa Avenue progressing south to Queen Street West, followed by the block between Howard Park Avenue and Neepawa Avenue, and completing with the section from Dundas Street West to Howard Park Avenue. The Contractor will actively work in sections of approximately two blocks at a time.

Tree planting, minor landscaping items, and final site restoration and clean up will be undertaken in Spring 2011.

Opening June 2011 Now
[video=youtube;IPXo8cQo9xM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPXo8cQo9xM[/video]

7 November 2010: Felt very romantic, c. 1880s (wooden sidewalks)

dsc01715g.jpg

The bump outs are so retarded. I can't believe they are actually building them. People have been gettin on street cars fine for over 100 years. Now all of a sudden they decide people need curbs to walk out on? On one street in Toronto? Cut down on parking, screw over bikers AND create more congestion, brillant! Who ever designed this would fail at level 1 easy mode of Sim City.

Last edited:
The bump outs are so retarded. I can't believe they are actually building them. People have been gettin on street cars fine for over 100 years. Now all of a sudden they decide people need curbs to walk out on? On one street in Toronto? Cut down on parking, screw over bikers AND create more congestion, brillant! Who ever designed this would fail at level 1 easy mode of Sim City.

I would consider it a bad sign if the designer did well in Sim City, because that game is based on impossible ideals. In the game, mixed use buildings do not exist, and placing different types of facilities next to each other has negative consequences that do not occur in real life. As well, there are no cyclists. The ideal Sim city would be something like Houston, because the game does not take into account city vibrancy. All that matters is getting citizens from their house to work as quickly as possible everyday.

As for bump outs, I do agree that they will be a big pain for cyclists. Is there no way that bicycles could go around the back of the platform to allow them to pass while loading? If not, it will slow down cyclists alot by making it impossible to pass streetcars.

I would consider it a bad sign if the designer did well in Sim City, because that game is based on impossible ideals. In the game, mixed use buildings do not exist, and placing different types of facilities next to each other has negative consequences that do not occur in real life. As well, there are no cyclists. The ideal Sim city would be something like Houston, because the game does not take into account city vibrancy. All that matters is getting citizens from their house to work as quickly as possible everyday.

As for bump outs, I do agree that they will be a big pain for cyclists. Is there no way that bicycles could go around the back of the platform to allow them to pass while loading? If not, it will slow down cyclists alot by making it impossible to pass streetcars.

The Sim City reference was just to point out that our city planners can't seem to figure out basic fundamental things like simple traffic planning. These bumps-outs are totally needless, cost extra tax payers money, provide no benefit other then not having to raise your leg an extra 6 inches to get on a streetcar and just anonther of example of street planners "doing it wrong".

And before some bleeding heart chirps in with the "oh its so dangerous to get on streetcars because cars don't always stop so we need daddy government to protect us and build bump-outs." You learned in kindergarten to look both ways before crossing the road. It's still as easy to do.

Though I have doubts as to the sense of the bump-outs I think the 'blame" or the 'credit" should go to the local community who were much involved in planning this whole project. I think the "they" are not the City or the TTC but are actually "we" - if we live in the area.

Though I have doubts as to the sense of the bump-outs I think the 'blame" or the 'credit" should go to the local community who were much involved in planning this whole project. I think the "they" are not the City or the TTC but are actually "we" - if we live in the area.

I live in the community and I hate it with a passion. So do all my friends who also live in the area that I've talked to about it. Nobody asked us. I'm pretty sure the store owners aren't thrilled with the removal of parking and coming added congestion to the street.

I guess it just really grinds my gears because I find it the most pointless thing I've seen with so many negatives and 1 super lame positive. Unbelievable.

I live in the community and I hate it with a passion. So do all my friends who also live in the area that I've talked to about it. Nobody asked us. I'm pretty sure the store owners aren't thrilled with the removal of parking and coming added congestion to the street.

I guess it just really grinds my gears because I find it the most pointless thing I've seen with so many negatives and 1 super lame positive. Unbelievable.

Did you attend any of the local consultation meetings? From the website http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/roncesvalles_streetscape/ there was a lot of opportunity for residents and property owners to have their say and, apparently, they said "yes". (I agree with you they are not my choice but there's little point complaining after the fact, especially if you did not do so when given a chance. If you had - or did - you can at least say 'I told you so!"))

Did you attend any of the local consultation meetings? From the website http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/roncesvalles_streetscape/ there was a lot of opportunity for residents and property owners to have their say and, apparently, they said "yes". (I agree with you they are not my choice but there's little point complaining after the fact, especially if you did not do so when given a chance. If you had - or did - you can at least say 'I told you so!"))

If I would of known about the meeting I would of been there.. Unfortunately they don't make the meetings very well known to the public. It's so strange that the public would ask for this when literally everyone of my neighbours and Roncesvalles business owners I have talked to think the bump-outs are a stupid idea. 10 people showing up to a meeting does not make a neighbourhoods opinion.

The Sim City reference was just to point out that our city planners can't seem to figure out basic fundamental things like simple traffic planning. These bumps-outs are totally needless, cost extra tax payers money, provide no benefit other then not having to raise your leg an extra 6 inches to get on a streetcar and just anonther of example of street planners "doing it wrong".

And before some bleeding heart chirps in with the "oh its so dangerous to get on streetcars because cars don't always stop so we need daddy government to protect us and build bump-outs." You learned in kindergarten to look both ways before crossing the road. It's still as easy to do.

4829239086_4ab7a01082_b.jpg

sbhowpk1.jpg

At streetcar (and bus) stops, it is a NO STANDING zone. That means no parking, no deliveries, but you can stop to let out or let in passengers. A bumpout reinforces that NO STANDING rule. There is still parking available outside the bumpouts, parking even during the rush hours. As well, the platforms allow better access for the elderly and handicapped. No more SUNDAY stops by the way. The bumpouts are not on every block, but every two or three blocks.

Back