News   May 10, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.8K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Roncesvalles Reconstruction

Huh? Though I can see what you mean in John Tory coming across as a "stealth Crombie" type of Tory relative to Smitherman, Rossi, et al.

But really; given your partisanship and what I've stated as the particular "nominal opposition" quality of Roncesvalles (plus Munro's natural leanings), you might be better off speaking in terms of the *NDP* being annoying...

Partisanship? I hate all political parties, I'm an extreme libertarian. Politicians are all the same--they just give their buddies jobs.

NDP=annoying and predictable, preying upon the poor to feed their elitism.

Liberals: Disgusting.

Tories--at least they're honest about what they stand for.

But, doesn't mean I'd vote for them.

Last edited:
^ +1

You'll find that many people as they age gradually make the transition from the "liberal" values they were told to obey as a kid to coming to terms with viewing the world for what it really is.

I am curious as to what the new timeline is for Roncy is? I live on the damn street and I have been waiting now for months to find out what is happening. I was under the impression that things had been wrapped up with respect to the water mains and that they were ready to continue with the streetcar track replacement and streetscape improvements. However, nothing seems to be happening now and I have not seen or heard a thing since.
??

p5

On City website ( http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/roncesvalles_reconstruction/ ) it says:

Beginning the week of July 12, 2010 until November 2010, the City of Toronto plans to undertake TTC track reconstruction, road reconfiguration and reconstruction / resurfacing, and streetscaping on Roncesvalles Avenue from Queen Street West to Dundas Street West. The purpose of the work is to make needed improvements to the road, track and boulevard areas as part of the City’s Capital Works Program. Work will be co-ordinated to minimize disruptions to residents and businesses.

On City website ( http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/roncesvalles_reconstruction/ ) it says:

Beginning the week of July 12, 2010 until November 2010, the City of Toronto plans to undertake TTC track reconstruction, road reconfiguration and reconstruction / resurfacing, and streetscaping on Roncesvalles Avenue from Queen Street West to Dundas Street West. The purpose of the work is to make needed improvements to the road, track and boulevard areas as part of the City’s Capital Works Program. Work will be co-ordinated to minimize disruptions to residents and businesses.

Thank you DSC, I didn't manage to find anything reporting this when I initially searched the city website.

The City's Bid Committee is scheduled to approve the contract next week: I assume the contractor is poised to move ahead, or not!

Call Document
Tender Call 120-2010, Contract No. 10EY-08RD

Description
TTC Track Reconstruction, Road Reconfiguration and Reconstruction / Resurfacing and Streetscaping on Roncesvalles Avenue from Queen Street West to Dundas Street West

Recommended Bidder
Sanscon Construction Ltd

The City's Bid Committee is scheduled to approve the contract next week: I assume the contractor is poised to move ahead, or not!

Call Document
Tender Call 120-2010, Contract No. 10EY-08RD

Description
TTC Track Reconstruction, Road Reconfiguration and Reconstruction / Resurfacing and Streetscaping on Roncesvalles Avenue from Queen Street West to Dundas Street West

Recommended Bidder
Sanscon Construction Ltd

The contractor is the same firm that has done most of TTC track work. St Clair, Church, Part of Dundas, Queen St, Lansdowne are some of their work.

They will do a good job and be on time if the city don't stick their noses in as well the drawings are correct.

The City believes that the Streetcar Track replacement from Queen to Dundas can be done within 100 days. So even with the thrice delayed start to the second phase, the new tracks should be done by mid to late October... but I ain't going to hold my breath on that one. This doesn't even account though for the Curb Lane and Sidewalk reconstruction that are to be redone as well, and, the all the new Trees slated to be planted (250 I believe). Councillor Perks stated over and over that the Construction should never go into a third year, but with a mandatory December 3rd halt to construction to "give" local businesses a break for Holiday Shoppers, how on earth will they ever finish all of that before 2011. Answer, they can't... they won't and all on Roncesvalles will suffer.

From the TTC website:

504 King - Track and roadway rehabilitation
Replacement buses diverting eastbound via Dundas and Lansdowne.
Starting 5:00 am, Monday, July 12

The next phase of streetcar track and roadway rehabilitation work will begin on Roncesvalles Avenue. During this phase of construction, eastbound 504 KING replacement buses will be revised to run south and east on Dundas Street, south on Lansdowne, west on Queen, south and east on King to Shaw Street. Westbound 504 buses will continue to run west on King and north on Roncesvalles to Dundas West Station.

313 JANE all night bus will be revised to run south and east on Dundas Street, south on Lansdowne and west on Queen and return north on Roncesvalles.

504 KING streetcars will continue to operate between Broadview Station and the Roncesvalles Yard, diverting in both directions via Queen Street and Shaw Street.

508 LAKE SHORE streetcars will continue to divert in both directions via Queen Street and Shaw Street.

The City believes that the Streetcar Track replacement from Queen to Dundas can be done within 100 days. So even with the thrice delayed start to the second phase, the new tracks should be done by mid to late October... but I ain't going to hold my breath on that one. This doesn't even account though for the Curb Lane and Sidewalk reconstruction that are to be redone as well, and, the all the new Trees slated to be planted (250 I believe). Councillor Perks stated over and over that the Construction should never go into a third year, but with a mandatory December 3rd halt to construction to "give" local businesses a break for Holiday Shoppers, how on earth will they ever finish all of that before 2011. Answer, they can't... they won't and all on Roncesvalles will suffer.

Roncesvalles track is all 'straight track' as there are no areas of special trackwork to be done so, as Drum says, if the plans are accurate and if the weather cooperates I see no reason why they should not get it done in time but I certainly have my fingers crossed!

I too will keep fingers, toes and eyes crossed if it helps them get he job done on time. The problem is that they have said that the tracks will be done (now) by the beginning of October, butthere is still the matter of the curb lanes and sidewalks to do on top of the tracks. They have 20 weeks to do all of it before the mandatory shut down. I have friends who have businesses on that street and Phase 1 was bad enough.

From roncesvallesvillage.ca:

In mid-July 2010 streetcar track and sidewalk construction will begin on Roncesvalles.
ALL work will start in the south and gradually move north. Work will be happening 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday, with some work at night and on Sundays also.
The track work zone will occupy an area about five blocks long, and will occupy three lanes of traffic.
Through the work zone there will be one lane northbound only. Pedestrian crossings may be temporarily disrupted. Parking/delivery areas will be in staging areas (where equipment and material is stored but there is no active construction.)
The track work zone should move past your location in roughly three weeks.
To the north and south of the track work zone traffic will flow normally. Cars can drive on completed track.
Track work at Howard Park Avenue and at Dundas St. will involve closures of those intersections that may last up to ten days.
Track work should be complete around October 1.
When track work is complete, we expect to get two-way traffic and transit restored.

Sidewalk construction will follow behind streetcar track construction. This will involve repairing or rebuilding sidewalk, removing nearly all existing tree planters, installing infrastructure for new trees (soil trenches under the sidewalk) and other improvements.
Sidewalk work zones are expected to be one block long. In these zones, pedestrians will be directed to a safe lane on the road, and wheelchair accessible ramps will lead to every doorway. There will be parking restrictions in these areas. Each block is estimated to take between two and three weeks to complete.

Transit platform construction will follow behind sidewalk construction. Each platform will take several weeks to build. There will be minimal pedestrian or traffic disruption in these zones, which will be about a block long. There will be parking restrictions in these zones.
Sidewalk and platform work should be complete in November or December.

If work is not finished by December 3, the contractor will clean up and leave Roncesvalles until spring 2011.
Our new trees will be planted in spring 2011.

During track construction, a 504 shuttle bus will loop from Dundas West Station, down Lansdowne to Queen and up Roncesvalles as before. Once track work is complete (about October 1) two-way transit will return.

There will be no parking meters on Roncesvalles until construction is complete. You can park for up to three hours in any legal parking spot on Roncesvalles Avenue for free! Please be mindful of all parking signage.
Tickets will still be issued for illegal parking or parking for longer than three hours in a legal spot. If you receive a ticket that you wish to dispute, please call Councillor Perks’ office at (416) 392-7919.

Don’t forget about nearby parking lots at: Queen and Triller, the Polish Credit Union, Howard Public School (public pay parking evenings, weekends, holidays and school breaks) and at Dundas and Roncesvalles (by Starbucks.)

1 August 2010 update: From Garden Av to Queen, work is progressing rapidly:

dsc01290an.jpg

dsc01292.jpg

The reconstruction is having an effect on Roncevalles--new shops/cafes etc are starting to open in the old failed businesses' locations--a sign that Roncey is on fire!

Back