News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 496     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Rogers Cable - Service Interruptions

Teksavvy has both cable and DSL. So both Bell or Rogers, it's up to you.

A few days ago I called Rogers to cancel my cable internet to switch to Teksavvy cable internet, their 30Mbps/5Mbps/150GB for $45 plan. But Rogers offered me 270GB for $61, and I refused. And then calling again later to confirm the service cancellation (the account isn't in my name), they offered $53 and we accepted. With the modem rental it's an additional $8. But buying a new modem for Teksavvy would cost $100, plus there's another $110 in activation fees, while Rogers gave me some credit. So I think it was better to stay with Rogers.

Keep in mind tho: bandwidth limit at Teksavvy doesn't count uploads. So 270GB isn't necessarily much better than 150GB, it depends.

Another thing to keep in mind: Teksavvy is a prepaid service. You pay for the service before at least 1 month before you use it, but with Rogers you pay 1 month after.

The laptop losing internet thing sounds like a problem with the router or the laptop's network adaptor. I don't see how it could be a the problem with the internet itself. That is strange. I had a lot of problems like that back in the 56k days, but now? Not really.

When I was considering my options I had the following pricing:

TekSavvy
$65 for activation
But if you are switching from Rogers they should give a $45 discount for activation + if you buy their modem for $100 you will get $20 discout

That is, if you switch from Rogers and buy their modem, you are not paying any activatin fee. The problem is that the offered modem has no Wi-Fi so you will spend additional money on a router.

$65 for activation, -$20 discount, plus I think the 65$ "move fee" is mandatory too, for some reason, so $110. I didn't know about the $45 discount. $65 isn't so bad I guess.

I actually find the modem+router thing from Rogers to be annoying. I already have a Linksys E4200v2, a top-of-the-line router, so I don't want to pay extra for another router, I just want modem-only, but Rogers gives you no choice... so I actually prefer Teksavvy in that respect.

Btw, I should clarify the $53/month Rogers offered me is tax included, so it's only like $2 more than Teksavvy's 30mbps/150GB/$45 plan. Also, Rogers is fibre optic but Teksavvy is not.

I know people who use Acanac or Cik for the unlimited usage. But Acanac you have to pay for the entire first year in advance, which is crazy. Cik I keep reading about bad customer service and slowdowns.

Whatever you decide you should decide soon (at least 2 weeks before the cancellation date, if I'm not mistaken) so the cable service transfers automatically and no Rogers technicians have to come to house to deactivate and activate the cable line, which will cost you money.

$65 for activation, -$20 discount, plus I think the 65$ "move fee" is mandatory too, for some reason, so $110. I didn't know about the $45 discount. $65 isn't so bad I guess.

I actually find the modem+router thing from Rogers to be annoying. I already have a Linksys E4200v2, a top-of-the-line router, so I don't want to pay extra for another router, I just want modem-only, but Rogers gives you no choice... so I actually prefer Teksavvy in that respect.

Btw, I should clarify the $53/month Rogers offered me is tax included, so it's only like $2 more than Teksavvy's 30mbps/150GB/$45 plan. Also, Rogers is fibre optic but Teksavvy is not.

I know people who use Acanac or Cik for the unlimited usage. But Acanac you have to pay for the entire first year in advance, which is crazy. Cik I keep reading about bad customer service and slowdowns.

Whatever you decide you should decide soon (at least 2 weeks before the cancellation date, if I'm not mistaken) so the cable service transfers automatically and no Rogers technicians have to come to house to deactivate and activate the cable line, which will cost you money.

Move fee is something that you pay when you change address where the service is provided. So you don't have to pay it unless you are moving from the place where you live.

In total, it is ($99 for modem + first month payment + $ for wi-fi router) × 1.13 for taxes.

Back