184     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 3.2K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.2K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally agree, but then RoFo wouldn't have a Council seat to maintain his political profile. I think Doug is the sacrificial Ford Nation lamb. Give the dummies DoFo to vote for as mayor, lest the flock wander off to support Tory.
They'll do everything they can to hurt Tory's chances, that's why they put Doug in the race. I can see they're planning for the future, Rob running for mayor in 2018 with Mikey running for Ward 2. Mikey would be the Deputy Mayor and Doug can run Deco. It's perfect.

Not being mayor will be the death of him.
It will either kill him or cure him. He sure won't be in the limelight any more, and he loves being the centre of attention. Maybe he'll re-evaluate his priorities and spend some time with his kids instead of partying with criminals. I doubt it, but stranger things have happened. Just look at the last 4 years.

Acclaimed? AFAIK incumbent John Hastings--himself a former Harris Tory MPP--is still in the school-trustee race...
He is. Though there's a big pool, with a total of 8 candidates, 4 of which signed up last week.

Looking at the 2010 results there was only 4 candidates, and Hastings only got 44% of the vote in city ward 1, and 56% in city ward 2.

They'll do everything they can to hurt Tory's chances, that's why they put Doug in the race. I can see they're planning for the future, Rob running for mayor in 2018 with Mikey running for Ward 2. Mikey would be the Deputy Mayor and Doug can run Deco. It's perfect.
For mayor, the proposed changes in 2018 for ranked balloting should eliminate that happening. I can't see any Ford ever getting 50% again city-wide.

I still shake my head at the sense of entitlement. Why this family thinks they should be in charge of an outhouse is beyond me.

"But when his drinking and lusting and his hunger
for power became known to more and more people,
the demands to do something about this outrageous
man became louder and louder..."

In the grand scheme of things the Fords are 2nd generation money. Doug Ford wants power and believes that he deserves it. Doug sees himself on the same tier as the Thompsons, Westons, Irvings and Monks. Deco will never be enough.

I agree they want Olivia to win. Remember Rob's rant? I bet they feel that Tory is being disloyal to them and Tory doing a decent job for the next 4 years doesn't fit in their plans. They want to rescue Toronto in 2018 from the evil lefties, that doesn't work if a right leaning mayor gets elected.

Ummmm....what about the REST OF TORONTO???
Why tf isn't their efforts and long-term planning focused on that?

This powergrab/powerhungry manuvering is so ridiculous. And then others wonder why young people like me are so apathetic and *ugh rolleyes* to all of this. Like, thanks a lot for AGAIN just being about status and spotlight as opposed to actually caring about people and making things better.....smh

Ummmm....what about the REST OF TORONTO???
Why tf isn't their efforts and long-term planning focused on that?

This powergrab/powerhungry manuvering is so ridiculous. And then others wonder why young people like me are so apathetic and *ugh rolleyes* to all of this. Like, thanks a lot for AGAIN just being about status and spotlight as opposed to actually caring about people and making things better.....smh

I think you are taking a rather jaundiced view towards politics - by and large it has always been about status and spotlight just as much as being about people and making things "better", however imperfectly. Being young does not excuse one from learning about the reality of power - and there is nothing more disempowering from disengaging in the process.

And if one thinks that youth are beyond these kinds of behaviour - just look at the politics of popularity in high school. The stakes are low, but the emergent behaviour is all the same.

AoD

Last edited:
Thanks. So only the notary needs to be physically present? Weird.

For a person to register without attending at the counter in the Elections Office someone must file sworn docs on his or her behalf. (They can be sworn before a commissioner for oaths or a notary.) The docs do not have to be sworn if someone registers in person at the counter.

The added requirement in the first case is an extra precaution regarding authenticity. It does not seem terribly odd that personal attendance is not mandatory. After all, you can have someone apply for and pick-up your passport on your behalf (just to give one of many examples of important things that can be done via a representative or gofer).

Last edited:
Acclaimed? AFAIK incumbent John Hastings--himself a former Harris Tory MPP--is still in the school-trustee race...

this is the thing I find interesting.
Hastings is a local long time conservative who sat with Doug Sr. as an MPP. I'm sure the Fords know him personally... and, they have no problem destroying him, his career and the wards chances at having a competent trustee by shoehorning the idiot nephew in.
absolute disrespect for the constituents.

and, yes, I think they want Chow to win. not so much so that they'll have another chance in 4 years but because they feel Tory betrayed and thinks he's better than them.
It's always personal and about the ego with these guys. remember Robs drunken political musings about having to vote for the Green Party because they had never said anything bad about him (!).
also, Jack was nice to him.
simple, tiny, minds.

In the grand scheme of things the Fords are 2nd generation money. Doug Ford wants power and believes that he deserves it. Doug sees himself on the same tier as the Thompsons, Westons, Irvings and Monks. Deco will never be enough.

I agree with this. I’m not sure why a lot of people believe that Doug has reluctantly entered the race. I’m pretty sure Doug wants this status more than anything and believes that he can win. He has grandiose ideas of self and he’s craving the power. He’s got the money – always had, that is not the issue. Deco isn’t failing and he’s made sure of that. Doug pushed Sr. into running for MPP so he could get his nose in there. He’s wanted to be PM all along. He’s resented having to take care of Deco and now it’s his turn for the cameras to follow him (I saw how solemn/chuffed he was when they finally were). Just as Diane said about John Tory back in 2003, “Robbie, you can serve for a couple of terms and then it’ll be Dougie’s turn.â€

From May 2012, Toronto Life.

http://www.torontolife.com/informer/features/2012/05/15/rob-ford-the-weirdest-mayoralty-ever/

I know that poll of Ward 2 was done with a small sample size, but it really does prove his stupid people there are. They have a great candidate in Domise and choose to vote for someone who probably won't be able to do any actual work...

I think you are taking a rather jaundiced view towards politics - by and large it has always been about status and spotlight just as much as being about people and making things "better", however imperfectly. Being young does not excuse one from learning about the reality of power - and there is nothing more disempowering from disengaging in the process.

And if one thinks that youth are beyond these kinds of behaviour - just look at the politics of popularity in high school. The stakes are low, but the emergent behaviour is all the same.

AoD

I know, I know, I know...I'm just joining the many shaking their heads at the sence of entitlement indeed

Screen Shot 2014-09-15 at 9.29.12 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-15 at 9.29.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-15 at 9.29.12 AM.png
    38 KB · Views: 706
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back