167     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 3.1K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.2K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Born in the USA is one of the top examples of a song tha is highly critical of the US being misunderstood by the same sort of people as read nothing beyond the headlines. A more recent example of this - and one which is delightfully apt for Rob - is the use of David Bowie's Fame in the TV ad for the 2015 Escalade. Even if those who came up with the ad get the irony, one assumes they were confident that potential buyers of Escalades will think that the song is in praise of fame rather than a bitter criticism.

Bruce should never have released it on the BITUSA album. It would have driven the point home far better on Nebraska or Joad. It was misconstrued by SO many people as an anthem about how great the US is when in fact it talked about how badly their vets were treated after returning from Vietnam.

He's also no fan of the right.

I'm looking forward to the Ward 2 debate. It will be Mikey's debut.

I suppose the biggest political sh!tstorm this year in Ward 2 was Griffen Centre. ( There was even a petition at one time to rename DoFo Sr Park after the place. )

Has Andray ever commented on Griffen Centre? I'm sure Mikey never has.

Is Griffen Centre still a political hot potato with Ward 2 constituents, or will it even be mentioned at the debate?

Last edited:
If Rob looses, will he still do their thinking for them, and be their voice?

Not for long, IMO. From what I've seen, Rob has given up on many issues when he loses at council. If he loses on Oct. 27, I think he'll give a sporting "no shame, we did our best" speech, like a good coach should. His supporters will gripe and moan about conspiracies against their candidate. And if we're lucky, Rob will more or less fade away. I say this because he mostly seems to be active when he's trying to get something from people. I don't see him being especially motivated — outside of vanity — when there's no readily identifiable payoff. Standard disclosure: I've been way off base on this stuff before.

I'm looking forward to the Ward 2 debate. It will be Mikey's debut.

It would be a shame if it just turned out to be more of the same Fordisms in a new package. Thinking about, maybe the Fords want to be the MicroSoft of the political word, new face similar to the old face with the same problems, etc.

Is Griffen Centre still a political hot potato with Ward 2 constituents, or will it even be mentioned at the debate?

I hope so, even if it pops up because of association with Dougie.

... And if we're lucky, Rob will more or less fade away. ...
I believe the man is incapable of fading away. He's tasted fame, he's tasted power and bringing the circus back to Deco is likely not something that Doug will allow. Ford might actually have some Sarah-Palin-like opportunities in media but his work ethic won't sustain them for long. So IMO, if Ford loses on October 27th, his campaign for Toronto's Ward 2 begins on October 28th. And assuming that Mike Ford has kept his mouth shut and won the Ward 2 seat, Mike will serve a short but suitable period before stepping down to work for Deco in Chicago. And by "work", I mean "continuing to keep his mouth shut".

So how did MINO Ford save the Jesus in the City parade? They needed a bunch of cash for Paid Duty officers I recall because of the winding route for the parade. Did Robbity actually cut a cheque? I know he's fond of $5000 cheques afterall..

Looks like someone was up to their late night calls again last night. Two posted to instagram last night.

This photo is hard to read, but it says Rob Ford on caller ID and 1:27AM or so on the phone. Unfortunately, it's since been removed from instagram so I can't post a clearer photo.
View attachment 32580

Then this clip, which was posted at 1:41 AM
http://iconosquare.com/p/804035137163715443_264211239

Working for the people, 24/7!

ETA: and another one - http://iconosquare.com/p/804282425621026402_28768780#/detail/804282425621026402_28768780
View attachment 32581

Are these connected? There's other clips associated with that second link if you click on the guy's name. Seems like they went to see Rob at Fort York where he was a no-show. Then there's another (most recent) clip of Rob phoning a girl back to wish her Happy Birthday (second most recent clip seems to feature ummm belly-dancing - not likely what you're thinking - probably best to skip). Looks like she's on the same phone from the deleted Instagram screen cap? So these guys were possibly prank calling Rob on his home number (416-233-6934) or maybe there's more than one party pranking him at the same time? But hey - he called back...to wish her Happy Birthday in the middle of the night. :rolleyes:

Bruce should never have released it on the BITUSA album. It would have driven the point home far better on Nebraska or Joad. It was misconstrued by SO many people as an anthem about how great the US is when in fact it talked about how badly their vets were treated after returning from Vietnam.

He's also no fan of the right.

I'm just happy that we've gone on a Springsteen tangent before hitting the 6000-page mark :) It certainly does go to show that people hear what they want ot hear and see what they want to see. I agree that it was initially presented in such a way that if you weren't paying attention, it would go right over your head. Of course, Bruce has long since "reclaimed" the song, but then the exact same thing happened a couple of years ago with "We Take Care of Our Own."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x8zBzxCwsM

And someone with photoshop skills has to drop Running Rob into the nuking-of-Toronto shot from Resident Evil.
2008_10_01_toronto-boom.jpg

Attachments

• 2008_10_01_toronto-boom.jpg
    2008_10_01_toronto-boom.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 783
Last edited:
It's rather funny; the IHTWOMRF crowd is currently on a rampage over at "Ford Voters Against Rob Ford". Sue Wilson, Barb Corbett, Glenn Zembal and Neil Flagg himself… All attacking the site with the belief that the page owner is Paul Benoit (despite no logical reason to believe such).

While both Pro- and Anti-Ford sides like to throw around terms like "meltdown" and "frothing at the mouth", the virulence with which they're attacking the page merits those descriptors.

https://www.facebook.com/Fordvotersagainstford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back