News   May 17, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.1K     9 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8

"DFord rejected a question from a non-me person as a "Toronto Star" question. He rejected Jackson Prowkow question by daring Jackson to run."

I thought that was a hilarious tweet. I haven't been following all this garbage for as long as a lot of you but do the Fords never acknowledge any question by Dale or any other Star reporter? And Doug thought Prowkow was with The Star? Idiot.

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2014/01/02/rob_ford_promising_ford_more_years_registers_to_run_for_reelection.html

Five of his Thursday claims were not true.

He asserted that he has the best attendance record on council, when, in fact, his absenteeism percentage of 17 per cent makes him worse than two-thirds of his colleagues. He said he has passed property tax increases lower than 1.75 per cent for four years, though the increase was 2.5 per cent in 2012 and 2 per cent in 2013.

He said the unemployment rate dropped from 11 per cent when he took office to 7 per cent today, though it actually jumped from 9.4 per cent to 9.8 per cent as of October. He claimed the city “started spending like drunken sailors†after council stripped his powers in November, though there is no evidence that the proposed 2014 budget had changed at all.

And he said again that he has saved the city “a billion dollars,†a claim that relies on dubious math, exaggerations and omissions.

Right off the bat, lies, lies, lies, lies, lies.

Here in the UK, our National independent news programme just had a 5 minute piece on your Mayor's year (with video clips; dancing in the Chamber, knocking down other Members and sundry confessions...) with the news that he is standing again and may just be re-elected (!!). Surely not ??! Make them see sense, before your city becomes even more of an international laughing stock.....

I remember being angry when I saw this quote originally:

What kind of paternalistic criminal nonsense is that? What truth is it that we the people cannot handle?

On a lighter note: anyone else see that Kinsella & Kirbie got engaged in NYC over New Year's? Congrats to them. Whether or not I always agree with Kinsella, there's no doubt his commentary is always worth considering & digesting.

I don't think your characterization is fair. It isn't whether this is a truth that people can or can't handle. It's whether the public airing of this information is detrimental to larger criminal investigations that are underway.

All of this information should be public, as should information about any politician who is acting in a manner that is unfit for a public figure. But where that information undermines a larger investigation, there is greater good in the information remaining undisclosed until an investigation is closed.

You might remember a few weeks ago when I said a good source told me Jaclyn Dawes was alive and well and living in Asia. Today I asked cops to confirm if the missing person alert had been called off. They simply say that they can't talk about her and refuse to comment any further. Strange, even if the family wants privacy don't police owe the public the courtesy of calling off the alert? Maybe she disappeared out of fear for her safety.

is this her?

https://www.facebook.com/jaclyn.dawe

About

Studied at McMaster University
Lives in Bangkok, Thailand

the picture on that page does kinda look like her.

Oh right, that must be her. Wonder why cops can't just say she's been found.

I would like to play the devil's advocate and state that if she left or disappeared intentionally, due to even remotely nefarious circumstances, she wouldn't be advertising her whereabouts on a publicly-viewable facebook page. To add to that, you think she would do more than drop the 'S' in her last name to somewhat conceal her identity.

What that means in the grand scheme of things I don't know, but it gives me the impression that she isn't a part of the larger picture.

he holds surprising large support still but it is unlikely he will be re-elected.

A now-familiar sequence of events: a polling company releases the latest results about Rob Ford’s approval, quickly followed by people across the political spectrum typing furiously on Facebook and Twitter, usually something along the lines of “OMG, who the hell are these ppl who still support the crack mayor?†or “Why aren’t more ppl supporting our mayor, he’s the best ever.†Which, in turn, is quickly followed by eager dismissals—polls are useless, forget about those numbers—until we do it all again two weeks later.

Despite this cycle, there are legitimate questions that emerge from all these surveys. With the usual caveat that they are an imperfect tool for understanding the electorate, we crunched some numbers from Toronto mayoral polls over the past two years to try to answer those questions and set the stage for the 2014 municipal campaign.

http://torontoist.com/2014/01/the-teflon-mayor-reading-rob-fords-poll-numbers/

I would like to play the devil's advocate and state that if she left or disappeared intentionally, due to even remotely nefarious circumstances, she wouldn't be advertising her whereabouts on a publicly-viewable facebook page. To add to that, you think she would do more than drop the 'S' in her last name to somewhat conceal her identity.

What that means in the grand scheme of things I don't know, but it gives me the impression that she isn't a part of the larger picture.

her name never had an s...

missing woman, Jaclyn Dawe, 35

www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2013/11/03/rob_ford_still_more_bombshells_in_police_document.html

Sarah Thomson had a funny idea that might actually work. What if another Rob Ford were to run? Would it split his vote enough even out vote splitting on the other side? It's funny because it operates on the basis that most Rob Ford voters are in fact stupid. If you made them have to think - Rob Ford A vs Rob Ford B - how many would actually pick the guy they follow blindly?

Anybody want to legally change their name to Rob Ford and run in the election? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back