1.8K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 3K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
It scares me more to imagine what this would have done to those of us in North York who were able to use Sheppard Centre (and later Empress Walk and NYCC), as a sort of refugee camp. We could also take the subway to Eglinton and/or downtown in search of warmth, supplies, wireless internet, electrical outlets to charge devices, food, coffee, warmth, and human company. If we were on lockdown, with these places and services closed, this power outage would have been a LOT worse. Having those options were the only bright sides in an otherwise miserable situation.

SoE is not lockdown, and everything jusbokeh said is BullShit but please, fear monger on [strike]brave[/strike]dumb ass.

Last edited:
It scares me more to imagine what this would have done to those of us in North York who were able to use Sheppard Centre (and later Empress Walk and NYCC), as a sort of refugee camp. We could also take the subway to Eglinton and/or downtown in search of warmth, supplies, wireless internet, electrical outlets to charge devices, food, coffee, warmth, and human company. If we were on lockdown, with these places and services closed, this power outage would have been a LOT worse. Having those options were the only bright sides in an otherwise miserable situation.

It wouldn't, and it doesn't.

Anymore mistruths on this matter will be dealt with.

Don't forget the military helicopters which would have been called in to guard our airspace and shoot down Santa and his reindeer the moment they showed up.

Don't forget the military helicopters which would have been called in to guard our airspace and shoot down Santa and his reindeer the moment they showed up.

jusbokeh is a troll. Keeps repeating lies like he was the crack mayor himself.

Why are the right wingers who try to argue such awful at it? Why must they resort to lies, attacks and strawmen? I'd love to see smart, reasonable dissent here, especially as it can feel like an echo chamber sometimes. But not trolls like Peepers and jusbokeh.

Personally, I'm glad Rob Ford distanced himself from the ice storm. I didn't need him to be on the tv and radio every hour telling us that everything is going to be okay. I didn't need him coming to my door to hold me. I think months from now this whole "emergency vs. non-emergency" debate will look silly, especially when you take what we went through and compare it to actual emergencies like entire neighbourhoods being completely demolished because of a natural disaster.

Personally, I'm glad Rob Ford distanced himself from the ice storm. I didn't need him to be on the tv and radio every hour telling us that everything is going to be okay. I didn't need him coming to my door to hold me. I think months from now this whole "emergency vs. non-emergency" debate will look silly, especially when you take what we went through and compare it to actual emergencies like entire neighbourhoods being completely demolished because of a natural disaster.

Except having hundreds of thousands of residents without power for 4-5 days, in cold winter temperatures, without accounting for people's needs (food supply, mobility, medication, medical equipment that requires power) is an emergency. Several have died in the GTA due to CO exposure or burns so far, that we know of.

But declaring a state of emergency - which would have put Deputy Mayor Kelly in charge - would have opened up the Emergency Management Centre at least, at at least would have probably got some more resources on the ground faster to check in on more vulnerable households. It's basically being treated now as an emergency without being declared as such, yet again, being forced to work around the useless mayor, who's out doing useless photo ops. He certainly isn't distancing himself.

If we've got overflowing "warming centres" - basically shelters - that's an emergency in my books.

---

In lighter news, Ford is now saying he's going to the New Year's Levee (to sign more bobbleheads, magnets and posters, perhaps?) instead of going to the Winter Classic in Ann Arbor. I really do wonder if he's doing so because he fears being embarrassed at being refused entry at the border.

Last edited:
Twitter told me that only if a SOE was called, could personnel be dispatched to go door to door to check on folks, especially in the high rises.

One man phoned into AM talk 640 saying he was in a wheelchair, in the dark, couldn't charge his chair, with no running water and his food was rotting. At least he had a land line to call in, and (presumably) to get help.

But what about seniors? What about people on dialysis, or respirators?

We need to be checking on people door to door. A SOE plan allows for a system to be put in place to organize volunteers who want to help out.

Exactly! It frees up resources to do things like this.

For the love of God. SOE does not mean shutdown. Why is this being peddled about? So much misinformation!!!!

I'm still wondering whether lunatic Fordistas are apt to blame Wynne treating this as an de facto emergency situation "no matter what Ford says" on the fact that she lives squarely within Toronto's hardest-hit zone, i.e. she's a self-serving shite, bla bla bla...

Yes. This is exactly what is happening. The pro-Ford, Tea Party right is now heaping scorn on Wynne. When asked why, the answer was simply because she is a horrible person. Oh and coal. She is making us shut down coal plants. There is no global warming. It is a left wing plot. There is something seriously wrong with these people. I have a couple in my family. No logic works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back