181     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 453     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.8K     4 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe ridiculously unimportant to you but I suspect you are in the minority.

For MOST shoppers this will become an almost daily irritant every time they shop - and yes - those councilors who voted for this lunacy (without any prior consultation!) will pay the price at the next election!

Does this mean the mayor is gone too?

1244303943grocery_bag.jpg

Problem solved.

Hmmm, I feel conflicted.

On one hand, I liked the 5c bag charge because I hate the idea of waste (plastic bags are largely a waste) and the idea that we are entitled to "free goods" that people can abuse. On the other hand, banning plastic bags altogether seems to add questions of its own: how can you enforce such a ban? Are plastic bags worse for the environment than their alternatives? Plus there are uses for plastic bags, and I don't want to go out and buy sturdy, Glad kitchen bags for $4.99 to line my kitchen garbage bin. I was happy, once every 2 weeks, or so, to buy bags from my grocery store when I went shopping (it cost about 15 cents) for just this purpose, but to use a reusable bag or my backpack at all other times.

I also feel conflicted by the fact that, while I enjoy watching Ford lose from a schadenfreude POV, I don't like that whenever he loses, we end up even worse off than before. This kind of reminds me of when Stintz et al put up a 2 station extension of the Sheppard subway to Consumers Road as a compromise, but Ford stuck to his stubborn guns and we ended up with an LRT from Don Mills onward. I would have loved it if Ford would have swallowed his pride and we would have been able to take a subway to Vic Park, just as I would have loved if Ford would have swallowed his pride this time and we would still have a 5 cent bag fee, rather than a total plastic bag ban. Oh well.

Some of my lazy neighbourbours will probably just wind up throwing everything in the recycling and garbage bins. What a shame!

Last edited:
So can we use paper bags in the green bin instead of plastic bags?

Yes. Heavy gauge kraft paper bags are absorbent enough for the green bin unless you're pouring in liquids (which you shouldn't be). I would wash out my green bin regularly anyway. If you're picky however, there are corn compound "plastic" bags available.

With big cities starting to roll in on the ban in increasing numbers, the plastic bag industry will just have to adapt. They're not going to go out of business. They're not stupid. They'll transition to biodegradable bags. Demand leads to supply.

Last edited:
Sigh.. Just went I thought council couldn't surprise me anymore, this happens...

So, theoretically speaking here, if I'm casually strolling by a grocery store and happen to need a few items, I guess I'm SOL? Enough with this paper bag nonsense, do any of you realize how difficult it is to carry one, let alone two? They don't have handles and are bulky and hard to manage. I guess I'll have to start stuffing vegetables into my briefcase. Better yet, when I'm walking my neighbour's dog when he's on vacation, I'll just let dear Charlie take a poop and I'll leave it there, because I sure as hell ain't using anything but the plastic I have lying around the house to pick it up!

Moronic, myopic and reeks of pettiness. This will piss off a boatload of people.

Sigh.. Just went I thought council couldn't surprise me anymore, this happens...

So, theoretically speaking here, if I'm casually strolling by a grocery store and happen to need a few items, I guess I'm SOL? Enough with this paper bag nonsense, do any of you realize how difficult it is to carry one, let alone two? They don't have handles and are bulky and hard to manage. I guess I'll have to start stuffing vegetables into my briefcase. Better yet, when I'm walking my neighbour's dog when he's on vacation, I'll just let dear Charlie take a poop and I'll leave it there, because I sure as hell ain't using anything but the plastic I have lying around the house to pick it up!

Moronic, myopic and reeks of pettiness. This will piss off a boatload of people.

Next time you're in Yorkville, buy a few things from Whole Foods. You'll see paper bags at the check out aren't so bad. Our top scientists have developed the technology to add handles to paper bags now.

Costco has no bags any type and they seem to be doing pretty well... their Queensway location is a total zoo every minute they're open. If their members/customers can manage to buy large items without any bags, I think we'll survive.

As for the dog poop on the ground, it'll just remind me of my days in Buenos Aires dodging dog poop on the sidewalks.

Here are the names of the councilors who voted to ban plastic bags (source Toronto SUN):

LIST OF MORONS:

Yes: 27

Maria Augimeri, Ana Bailão, Michelle Berardinetti, Shelley Carroll, Raymond Cho, Josh Colle, Gary Crawford, Janet Davis, Glenn De Baeremaeker, Sarah Doucette, Paula Fletcher, Mary Fragedakis, Mike Layton, Josh Matlow, Pam McConnell, Mary-Margaret McMahon, Joe Mihevc, Peter Milczyn, Denzil Minnan-Wong, Ron Moeser, James Pasternak, Gord Perks, Anthony Perruzza, Jaye Robinson, David Shiner, Adam Vaughan, Kristyn Wong-Tam

Ha! Morons like Milczyn, Berardinetti, Crawford, Minnan-Wong, Moeser and Shiner? Way to slam Ford loyalists!

This was really unexpected, and I do not really support a ban. Plastic shopping bags are great for apartment dwellers who need garbage bags to throw down the chute or toss in the common bins. The 5 cent fee did what it should have, cut down on unnecessary bag use without inconveniencing customers too much (especially as the big grocery chains adopted the practice elsewhere).

I could see the usual suspects (Sun, 640/1010) spinning this as a council gone mad, but Ford, Ford and Thumbs couldn't stickhandle a relatively minor issue like the bag fee?

Man, I wonder how people lived before the plastic bag- it must have been absolute misery back then!

Anyways, there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but people will be fine.

It does surprise me that of all the councilors, David Shiner was the one that proposed the motion.

Maybe ridiculously unimportant to you but I suspect you are in the minority.

For MOST shoppers this will become an almost daily irritant every time they shop - and yes - those councilors who voted for this lunacy (without any prior consultation!) will pay the price at the next election!

Vaughan and Carroll can forget about running against Ford in the next election.

wow, really ... plastic bags are such a major issue in your life?
alot of shoppers already use the re-usable bags and paper is stronger/better like the stuff at whole foods, bloomingdales, etc.
from my understanding, the plastic bags referred to do not include the little bags that are used to hold fruit/veggies, bulk foods, etc.

you freak out and demean KWT for not liking 70+s proposal at YongeBloor but disagree with 25-35s condos at church/gerrard ???

Last edited:
If anything, 5 cents wasn't enough, so I'm all for a ban. I haven't used a plastic bag in ages thanks to the re-usable ones that are ubiquitous nowadays. For those of you complaining about "spur of the moment" purchases, you can buy re-usable bags that fold up into a small pocket sized square (we own two). Mine fits effortlessly into my wallet. In fact we don't even use the smaller plastic bags that you would put your fruits and veggies in. Instead we purchased these:
produce-bags.jpg

Finding a solution is no different than adapting to other changes in our world. And for those of you that are too stubborn/narrow-minded/dumb to understand your options and incorporate them into your life, we'll put some handles on a paper bag for ya. You'll live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back