274     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 291     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 3.3K     5 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference is, if you wanted to, you could find out who Miller was meeting with. Here, you can't even find out who Ford is meeting with.

I don't want to, I got a life. Plus, even if I wanted to, I would hire an investigator to tail him rather than trust whatever he published. I don't know whether Adam Giambrone published his schedule, but if he did, would he list his mistress in his schedule? I highly doubt it.

In the end, I judge my mayor by his policies and I think Ford's policies have been straightforward whether you agree with them or not. There are the usual political correctness on the cover of course, but he is not a hard man to read. Let's face it, people who are complaining wouldn't vote for him anyway. They are not hard to read either.

Why? The 2 lane plus left turn lanes makes traffic more predictable and smoother and eliminates weaving and ending up stuck behind a left-turning car. Neither are major arterials; that's the job of neighbouring Vic Park and Warden. You seriously want the old way back?

Traffic on Pharmacy is more congested than ever before. I lived in an apartment at St.Clair, and making a left hand turn was near impossible (I still live in area). Aside from that, the community doesn't want them, they are barely used, and in winter time they serve only as places for the plows to deposit snow.

Just because there is room for bike lanes doesn't mean there should be, and if there was consultation with the community beforehand it wouldn't be quite so poorly recieved.

In the end, I judge my mayor by his policies and I think Ford's policies have been straightforward whether you agree with them or not. There are the usual political correctness on the cover of course, but he is not a hard man to read. Let's face it, people who are complaining wouldn't vote for him anyway. They are not hard to read either.

I don't agree with everything Ford does, but despite that I still voted for him because of his straightforward attitude. Vaughan is a douchebag, but he is right and there should be transparency.

I don't want to, I got a life.

How is this even an argument? Are you actually this dumb or are you just trolling?

Plus, even if I wanted to, I would hire an investigator to tail him rather than trust whatever he published. I don't know whether Adam Giambrone published his schedule, but if he did, would he list his mistress in his schedule? I highly doubt it.

Tinfoilhattery aside, this isn't about mistresses.

Straightforward doesn't mean good.

"Tkip, you are to families as "Sometimes When We Touch" is to singer-songwriters. Try to be Dylan or Joni instead."

If you don't know what that means, you're truly a saccharine sap with absolutely awful musical knowledge and absolutely awful musical taste.

Thanks for insulting me. Nice to know that when you post some genuine confusion, someone rushes in and tries to make you feel like shit.

Thanks for insulting me. Nice to know that when you post some genuine confusion, someone rushes in and tries to make you feel like shit.

What's confusing? Implicitly, Bob Dylan + Joni Mitchell = quality. Dan Hill's "Sometimes When We Touch" = the worst saccharine crap of the 70s "Have A Nice Day" singer-songwriter cheese variety. It's not genuine confusion; it's common knowledge...

Rob was Rob Ford's platform. Bigotry was a key part of it.

If one knowingly supports a bigot, then they too are bigots.

Ford was elected on the "cut taxes", "we have a spending problem not a revenue problem" & "gravy train" lines ad nauseum, a clever Conservative election strategy. The average voter knew little more about Ford save for perhaps those in his riding and perhaps water cooler discussions.

They lie. Traffic has NOT been slowed down by the bike lanes on Jarvis Street, just because they got some complaints (likely Rosedale types who want to fly up Jarvis/Mt. Pleasant to their homes to the north with three lanes at their disposal) and because Ford doesn't "get" cycling in the city. No surprise, the man sweats when he stands up, so he certainly wouldn't understand cycling let alone walking any distance (like from his office to the flagpole where the Pride flag will be raised on Monday).
You are mistaken. The city predicted that during the afternoon rush that stretch would take from 8 up to 10 minutes, but they are measuring it at up to 14 minutes. So, it's 4 minutes (40%) longer than they predicted.

Ford was elected on the "cut taxes", "we have a spending problem not a revenue problem" & "gravy train" lines ad nauseum, a clever Conservative election strategy. The average voter knew little more about Ford save for perhaps those in his riding and perhaps water cooler discussions.

What do we know about David Miller? Very little as well. However, if I was a progressive voter, I would still vote for him. I think he truly wanted to be progressive just like Rob Ford has no intention to be progressive, barely paying lip services.

Funny enough, I didn't vote for Ford on "cut taxes". Tax cuts are easy, anybody could do it. George Bush did it, Stephen Harper did it. The problem with them, and a lot of conservatives, is that they don't know how to cut services to balance the lost revenue. I voted for Ford because I hoped he could cut services and reduce the role of the government relentlessly. So far his performance was mixed at best.

My mom commutes to East Toronto, and her commute worsened due to the bike lanes on Pharmacy and Birchmount as she would use these as alternatives to Victoria Park and Warden. Along streets where there is a lack of width to implement bike lanes, why not just use markers? Might not be as glamourous, but they allow both drivers and cyclists know where they need to be on the road to avoid hitting each other.

What's confusing? Implicitly, Bob Dylan + Joni Mitchell = quality. Dan Hill's "Sometimes When We Touch" = the worst saccharine crap of the 70s "Have A Nice Day" singer-songwriter cheese variety. It's not genuine confusion; it's common knowledge...

Unless you never listened to these artists as was the case in my house. Next time someone should actually think this through and not just assume that everyone is familar with Dylan and Joni...

Rob was Rob Ford's platform. Bigotry was a key part of it.

If one knowingly supports a bigot, then they too are bigots.

Again with your bigotry crusade. You need proof. Not projecting your dislike onto the man then claiming he's out to destroy gays.

Ford and his brother aren't bigots. They just aren't interested in the gay community. Ford has always been rather indifferent which is not the same as being intolerant. Ford's entire campaign was based on taxes and balancing the budget and dealing with some corruption. This is what brought him to power.

Not some agenda to wipe out the gay community. I don't pay any attention or cares what goes on in the gay community either, does this make me a bigot? Wait, I believe marriage is between a man and a woman so I must be the biggest bigot in history. The problem with you, nfitz is that those who don't share your singular views are automatically called villains and demonized.

You're just as intolerant and a bigot as those you accuse nfitz. When others can't have their own views and opinions especially in their own personal lives, our free society is in trouble.

Last edited:

Agreed. Ford was elected based on a very narrow platform based on two or three soundbites - a very minimalist campaign which found a lot of support, and the rest of the candidates failed to provide a "reason why". It was hard to say what George Smitherman stood for, except not being Rob Ford (and before that not being David Miller), and he was all over the map, twisting right and left all over the place.

I know people who are not the most politically-astute who cheered when Ford was elected but are now seeing the rest of Ford's agenda and not liking their choice so much, predicting he's a one term wonder. The honeymoon is wearing thin, despite what Sue Ann Levy and CFRB might tell you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back