1.2K     1 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry about the condo confusion. that realtor's post is what confused everything for me. for what it's worth... the property he mentions is owned by a robert ford from brampton...
brampton rob.JPG

http://pbctax.manatron.com/tabs/propertyTax/accountdetail.aspx?p=52-42-42-01-23-000-1206

i just assumed making sure to tell me that it's owned by rob ford from toronto, meant that it was robbie.

plus it was a steakhouse, and we know he likes those.

but i still wouldn't be surprised to learn that he did travel somewhere though.

Attachments

• brampton rob.JPG
    brampton rob.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 804
Last edited:
Yeah, but also:

https://twitter.com/jdanton/status/594932767642800129
Joey D'Antoni ‏@jdanton May 3
Stay tuned maybe not collarbone [after cycling accident]

Justin Dearing‏@zippy1981 May 3
@SQLHA @jdanton @DBArgenis Also, I'll notify Rob Ford so his heart can bleed for you.

I'm not seeing any references to other Rob Fords on the guy's TL. The realtor guy, on the other hand, seems to have his RFs mixed up.

1. But the guy lives in Pennsylvania, where the golfer is famous and the ex-BB player appears on college BB broadcasts.

Of course, my inference may be wrong. But either way ISTM that it is not highly plausible that "that" Rob Ford was in the Morton's in West Palm Beach just the other day, even if he has obtained a U.S. Border Security waiver by now. If he was in Florida there are "more than enough" steakhouses in and near Hallendale - including two Morton's.

2. The realtor was not mixed up, IMHO. His post referred to a real Rob Ford who is really the owner and for whom, apparently, he acted as realtor on the WPB condo. To a Floridian, Brampton is Toronto . Even if he was aiming to put out clickbait because of ppl Googling the name at the time, that would mean he was trying to fool others, not that he was fooled. (Again, this whole WPB condo canard is not new; it came up and was debunked a couple of years back,)

Last edited:
I'm not saying it's good that they are suffering, I'm saying things are evening out. Why should "Group B" always be dealt the shit cards solely because they belong to that group, while "Group A" always gets the aces (solely because they belong to that group)? Every deck of cards contains shit cards and aces, but the game shouldn't be rigged. Maybe you think everyone can be a winner, but I don't know of any society in the world where that's happening. Not necessarily due to discrimination, but due to the way economies are structured --- with there always having to be a lower class doing shit work for next to nothing, so that the middle class can afford lots of inexpensive crap and the elite can reap huge profits off the labour of others (but that's a conversation for another thread, I suppose).

Lack of opportunity leads to drinking, drug use, crime... isn't that what is often said about poor black/minority communities?? Now sometimes whites face lack of opportunity, but it's not because anyone is discriminating against them; it's simply because they have to share opportunity with people who were previously denied it. There are only so many jobs, only so many spots available at university. It's like a big game of musical chairs and when the music stops, there aren't enough chairs for everyone, and there's no longer a "Reserved for white dudes" sign on the chairs.

That's what led Marc Lepine to kill women at Ecole Polytechnique... maybe if they weren't letting women into jobs that used be "just for men", there'd be more room for him (he had applied to the school and been rejected).

Your worldview might be a little harsh, but it's correct. My take on your first piece was that you were -- maybe not celebrating, but more than a little schadenfreude -- when I think this version is a little closer to the truth. The problem is that the macro- and micro- views of the problem are so different. It's like the unemployment rate: the Canadian rate may look pretty good at 7%, but your personal unemployment rate is 100%. I can quibble about 'white privilege' -- first in my family to attend university, never had a job opening 'held' for me personally, whatever -- and you can just laugh and say, whatever, RRR, you didn't even notice the privilege as it helped you. And you probably would be right.

But for a guy who's 50, two kids at community college, unemployed since Warren Buffet's version of Kraft closed the ketchup factory and absolutely zero prospects -- he's raging. White privilege getting stuck in his face by minorities with better educations. Drinking his pogie. And, now it seems, suicidal. To him, 'white privilege' is just another way to grind him down further. That guy's my cousins, in some cases, and I've got to say, I've got a lot of sympathy for him, too.

Marc Lepine? That kind of unbalanced, whacko, chip on his shoulder thinking is definitely the true version of entitlement. That's the true -- and dangerous -- version of white privilege.

Is this the bank where the "country pumpkin" once worked as a teller?

Screen Shot 2015-12-18 at 11.47.10 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-18 at 11.47.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-18 at 11.47.10 AM.png
    307.4 KB · Views: 597
Do you think Ford can get better treatment in the US? I can understand bypassing wait lists for certain surgeries but isn't chemo chemo?

1. But the guy lives in Pennsylvania, where the golfer is famous and the ex-BB player appears on college BB broadcasts.

Of course, my inference may be wrong. But either way ISTM that it is not highly plausible that "that" Rob Ford was in West Palm Beach just the other day, even if he has obtained a U.S. Border Security waiver by now. If he was in Florida there are "more than enough" steakhouses in and near Hallendale - including two Mortons.

2. The realtor was not mixed up, IMHO. His post referred to a real Rob Ford who is really the owner and for whom, apparently, he acted as realtor on the WPB condo. To a Floridian, Brampton is Toronto . Even if he was aiming to put out clickbait because of ppl Googling the name at the time, that would mean he was trying to fool others, not that he was fooled. (Again, this whole WPB condo canard is not new; it came up and was debunked a couple of years back,)

The lack of mention of a track suit in the tweet was suspicious. Then again maybe ugly track suits don't warrant a mention in Florida.

BTW I have a brief cameo in Fillion's book under a pseudonym (my wife would freak if our name was in it). I'm surprised you guys haven't noticed!

The lack of mention of a track suit in the tweet was suspicious. Then again maybe ugly track suits don't warrant a mention in Florida.

A track suit would warrant a mention if worn at a Morton's.

Screen Shot 2015-12-18 at 1.26.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-12-18 at 1.29.07 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-18 at 1.26.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-18 at 1.26.08 PM.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 999
  • Screen Shot 2015-12-18 at 1.29.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-18 at 1.29.07 PM.png
    383 KB · Views: 996
I'm not saying it's good that they are suffering, I'm saying things are evening out. Why should "Group B" always be dealt the shit cards solely because they belong to that group, while "Group A" always gets the aces (solely because they belong to that group)? Every deck of cards contains shit cards and aces, but the game shouldn't be rigged. Maybe you think everyone can be a winner, but I don't know of any society in the world where that's happening. Not necessarily due to discrimination, but due to the way economies are structured --- with there always having to be a lower class doing shit work for next to nothing, so that the middle class can afford lots of inexpensive crap and the elite can reap huge profits off the labour of others (but that's a conversation for another thread, I suppose).

Lack of opportunity leads to drinking, drug use, crime... isn't that what is often said about poor black/minority communities?? Now sometimes whites face lack of opportunity, but it's not because anyone is discriminating against them; it's simply because they have to share opportunity with people who were previously denied it. There are only so many jobs, only so many spots available at university. It's like a big game of musical chairs and when the music stops, there aren't enough chairs for everyone, and there's no longer a "Reserved for white dudes" sign on the chairs.

That's what led Marc Lepine to kill women at Ecole Polytechnique... maybe if they weren't letting women into jobs that used be "just for men", there'd be more room for him (he had applied to the school and been rejected).
I understood this discussion in the context of the Rob Ford / Donald Trump supporters comparisons vein. I think from that perspective we need to note the differences between Canadian and American conditions.

I haven't been paying that much attention to the GOP leadership campaign, tho they have a history of running "mean-spirited cretins" for decades, with disastrous results for their economic and foreign policy domestically and globally. The Dems don't have a significantly different result in power. This overlaid on their racist legacy of slavery and immigration of non-white refugees from countries they have militarily invaded or covertly overthrown has led to a strengthening of the Us and Them dichotomy both at home and abroad. Keeping "Them" out and disempowered domestically has been a successful white supremacist strategy behind which to grow economic and political inequality in an increasingly unstable Global Economy..

The U.S now has the highest incarceration rate in the world, mostly of non-violent offenders.. They have over 300M guns privately owned "legally", including military assault weapons, and the highest rate of gun violence in the world. Over 550 children were killed by guns in the last year alone. (" put the dots together, folks")

I have been paying attention to Baltimore (hung-jury mistrial this week for the first of the 6 cops charged in the death of Freddie Gray), and Ferguson, and Chicago, Washington, New York .... Just the kind f powderkeg that screams out for a candidate like Trump. A lot of what Canada is and who Canadians are has historically been from resisting the worst of what America is, but we are inexorably tied to our neighbours to the south. We share a lot of the same Corporate Elites with the same Republican agenda. Almost a decade of the HarperCons, ending with their crass embrace of the Ford Fools, I hope has been a valuable lesson. Trudeau won on a platform of restoring a more hopeful and egalitarian future for all Canadians, and Ford Nationals (the hubris of them!) will just have to suck it up. It won't be perfect, but at least the trolls will be kept busy.

Last edited:
Graeme is ranting about Norm Kelly on twitter and is also going after John Furr. He also seems to talk to a John Tory account on twitter that I don't think is really Tory's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back