2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 487     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats, you have managed to distill a complex issue into a meaningless us-vs-them soundbite. People may "want" everything, are you suggesting the government should deliver it all? Further, are the said "people" willing to pay for it? Last time I checked, quite a few of them wanted a free-private sector subway promised by you know who -and promptly failed to deliver the pledge.

AoD

Last edited:
My goodness your desperate. Did Marion Berry cause a year and a half of weekly/bi-weekly controversy from the very day he was sworn into office? Was Marion Berry a poor leader? Could Marion Berry string four English sentences together in front of a camera? I could go on.

Again, so desperate. This has already been dealt with ad nauseam. It's untrue. Not factual. Without merit. Already dis-proven.

How about sticking to Rob Ford and debating him. When he resigns, gets arrested, dies or starts campaigning for the next election then we can discuss that on the appropriate thread.

Where did I say I support Marion Berry? The man is a disgrace. But so are the voters there.

I do think some of you have an unhealthy hate for the mayor. Mentioning his death is pretty sad and sick. I feel sorry for some of you. You allow Rob Ford to take up too much of your lives.

Congrats, you have managed to distill a complex issue into a meaningless us-vs-them soundbite. People may "want" everything, are you suggesting the government should deliver it all? Further, are the said "people" willing to pay for it? Last time I checked, quite a few of them wanted a free-private sector subway promised by you know - whom promptly couldn't deliver the pledge.

AoD
You pay for it through cutting taxes and cutting government waste.

Adjei:

The soggy sandwiches certainly paid for it. Subway, eat fresh?

Futurebuilder:

I thought you said something about not judging those whom you haven't met, and I quote:

Passing judgement on people you do not know is also now way to go through life.

As to this:

Mentioning his death is pretty sad and sick

I quote:

The councillor, who has battled addiction in his own family, blasted a new report by Toronto Public Health on combating alcohol and drug use in the city. The report recommends the city distribute crack pipes and other paraphernalia to addicts and explore opening safe injection and inhalation sites.

“It’s euthanasia. You’re just giving them a place to kill themselves. That’s what is going to happen. You might as well just have a crematorium beside the crack house,” Mr. Ford said.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...ough-love-is-the-only-way-to-battle-drug-use/

Judge not, lest thou be judged.

AoD

Last edited:
You pay for it through cutting taxes and cutting government waste.

So, we don't cut the massive debt and deficit? Also, this sounds like a perfect way to do nothing for another 20 years. "Nope, still too much waste, no transit until it's perfectly efficient".

Wait, how do you pay for something by cutting revenue?

Last edited:
confirmation from the Metro Police that they are investigating the video's link to a murder to be "a lynch mob".
what planet are you from? you're just sounding ridiculous at this point.
Probably the planet where Ford's new press secretary can be found. I doubt that's all his new staff have the skill set to do ... post on Twitter and discussion forums. I'd say answer the phone, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

There is a case for running government efficiently (let's put aside the issue that you might be dealing with issues of competing priorities) - having said that, no one has demonstrated exactly how and where they will do the cutting and enable transit building. If you can't flesh out these details in a clear, watertight, believable and implementable manner then it's about as meaningful as blowing hot air. Anyone can strike a few lines off the budget and pretend that it could be done - the reality is quite different.

AoD

Last edited:
Probably the planet where Ford's new press secretary can be found. I doubt that's all his new staff have the skill set to do ... post on Twitter and discussion forums. I'd say answer the phone, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Maybe Ford will be stealing a few of the roboposters from the PMO. Then again, they're probably working overtime already...

So, we don't cut the massive debt and deficit? Also, this sounds like a perfect way to do nothing for another 20 years. "Nope, still too much waste, no transit until it's perfectly efficient".

I was actually being sarcastic, hard to show that online.

I do think some of you have an unhealthy hate for the mayor. Mentioning his death is pretty sad and sick. I feel sorry for some of you. You allow Rob Ford to take up too much of your lives.

I just speak for myself, I dislike him as a Mayor for numerous reasons I've stated through these 900-some pages but I don't know him, never met him - so I don't dislike him as a person. I certainly don't hate him. Best case scenario, I'd like to see him step down this week never to return (Doug would be a bonus) and Council votes to install Doug Holyday as Mayor until the next election and Adam Vaughan as Deputy Mayor.

I have never stated on these pages that I wish any harm to come to him, quite the opposite in fact. I praised him for his (failed) weight loss plan and I've stated several times that I hope that he gets the help that he needs for his issues.

Last edited:
There is a case for running government efficiently (let's put aside the issue that you might be dealing with issues of competing priorities) - having said that, no one has demonstrated exactly how and where they will do the cutting and enable transit building. If you can't flesh out these details in a clear, watertight, believable and implementable manner then it's about as meaningful as blowing hot air. Anyone can strike a few lines off the budget and pretend that it could be done - the reality is quite different.

AoD

Is there tremendous waste at all levels of government? YES. Including the municipal level.

However, transit (specifically new transit) costs billions and new revenue sources. Whether people like it or not, it requires new taxes. There is no other way around it.

By cutting the waste. The same waste that Rob Ford was so sure existed, but that the experts he hired were unable to find.

This whole thing about balancing the budget while maintaining a ridiculously low taxation rate while building $ Billions in transit is absolutely insane. No true Liberal or Conservative would support it. The math obviously dosen't work. A true Conservative would pay down the debt, while build all of the transit Ontario desperately needs and then lower taxation if possible.

It's unfortunate that we don't have a real Conservative party in this province. And no, the Populist Party of Ontario (aka "Progressive" Conservatives) are neither progressive nor conservative.

Last edited:
However, transit (specifically new transit) costs billions and new revenue sources. Whether people like it or not, it requires new taxes. There is no other way around it.

I agree...and that point seems lost on "Ford Nation" types who think subways to their doorstep can be built without paying a penny more in taxes.

Hey, we can agree there. Don't forget road/highway improvements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back