News   May 31, 2024
 3.8K     2 
News   May 31, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

From the first link:

"While it is easy to see how fiscal conservatives support his mantras of stopping the gravy train and respect for taxpayers, it is difficult for those unfamiliar with Toronto politics to understand why he received continued support after admitting smoking crack in one of his drunken stupors and after having been videotaped making derogatory comments about gays, Jews and blacks. But they did."

It's not so difficult. As a wise man once said, half the people your know are below average. And a significant proportion of people don't care to have their lives complicated by having to justify or examine their beliefs. Just give them someone that validates them.

At $14.95 for a whopping 156 pages (large font? pictures?) I expect it's aimed directly at the target market.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/71087

http://www.amazon.com/Ford-Nation-T...ack-smoking/dp/1508525250?tag=viglink22125-20

From the first link:

"While it is easy to see how fiscal conservatives support his mantras of stopping the gravy train and respect for taxpayers, it is difficult for those unfamiliar with Toronto politics to understand why he received continued support after admitting smoking crack in one of his drunken stupors and after having been videotaped making derogatory comments about gays, Jews and blacks. But they did."

It's not so difficult. As a wise man once said, half the people your know are below average. And a significant proportion of people don't care to have their lives complicated by having to justify or examine their beliefs. Just give them someone that validates them.

I doubt anyone is going to change their mind about Ford by reading this book. I can't get a handle on Weinreb's actual politics, but his view seems to boil down to 'He does & says a lot of bad stuff, and his critics are really critical. But his supporters love him, so he must be right'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Game on!

Toronto
60 Queen St W
Apr 13, 2015

Daily Court List Search Result (Ontario Court of Justice)
Criminal

Party Name / Case Number / Short Title of Proceedings / Time / Room / Appearance/Event Type
LISI, ALEXANDER 4811998151000020700 R. v LISI, ALEXANDER 10:00 AM 123 FURTHER EVIDENCE

I doubt anyone is going to change their mind about Ford by reading this book. I can't get a handle on Weinreb's actual politics, but his view seems to boil down to 'He does & says a lot of bad stuff, and his critics are really critical. But his supporters love him, so he must be right'.

Ford Nation for the most part can read; however, comprehension is their weak suit hence the need for masters.

Ford Nation for the most part can read; however, comprehension is their weak suit hence the need for masters.

I don't see them buying the book either - they don't need reassurance about their choices and they have no curiosity about actual politics other than their own take on it.

I wonder if Doug noticed that, although Chicago and Toronto have close to the same number of people, Chicago's debt is roughly ten times that of Toronto and it has regularly run budget deficits in the hundreds of millions of dollars, while Toronto's is effectively zero, by law.

I wonder if Doug noticed that all the city building he crows about in Chicago actually costs money…so, of course, do apps and pothole filling robots!

I'd say this suggests maybe potholes don't always need the personal touch, thus reducing the need for Dofo's particular charm in Ward 2. (Rhymes with "poo" btw)

That "Canada Free Press" piece refers to Rob as Toronto's "digital mayor". That stumped me. Using the Google and the Bing I didn't find a reference to Ford as "digital", except in the Giving The Finger sense.

Bloomberg was called digital for using the Twitter a lot, so my takeaway is a mayor who uses social media a lot becomes Digital. Fair enough.

Laughed OL when I thought of the Luddite Rob using other people to send and receive online messages. "Digital" in that case makes you worry where his fingers have been.

So why not consider replacing Rob with a smartphone app, like Spothole 2.0? It could be cheaper. Don't laugh.

(yes, I know, the TDSB plugged-toilet version could be called Sh!thole, but let's not go there)

Game on!

Toronto
60 Queen St W
Apr 13, 2015

Daily Court List Search Result (Ontario Court of Justice)
Criminal

Party Name / Case Number / Short Title of Proceedings / Time / Room / Appearance/Event Type
LISI, ALEXANDER 4811998151000020700 R. v LISI, ALEXANDER 10:00 AM 123 FURTHER EVIDENCE

I wish there wasn't a publication ban.

Well, consider the sourse--Canada Free Press--and that Weinreb's part of that circle. (Flagglandia posts links from there a lot.)

I see this book being perfect 99-cent GIANT BOOK SALE fare within a year if not less.

Yes - RF's a BAAAAADDDDD BOY!!! (with apologies to the late Lou Costello)

Bad Boy Furniture ad. Lastmans
smilies_facepalm.png

CCG_d4IVIAAq-jj.jpg:large

http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/13...bad-boy-ad-like-another-former-toronto-mayor/

Kat and Everyone:

When I saw this ad - and realized that this was not a prank - I thought "oh boy-RF gets himself into
another controversy" - noting Lastmans Furniture - Any relation to former Mayor Mel Lastman?

If anyone remembers the comedy team of Abbott and Costello from many years ago one of Lou Costello's
famous phrases was "I'm a baaaaaddddd boy" which fits RF well - and thanks to this Wikipedia page I did
learn that he died young - at only 53 - in March 1959...RF does remind me of Lou Costello to some extent
- but who in his circle could be the "straight man" equivalent of Bud Abbott?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Costello - there is a link to his comedy companion Bud Abbott's Wikipedia
page linked...There is plenty of Abbott and Costello material posted on YouTube - including their famous
"Who's on First" baseball comedy routine...

LI MIKE

Last edited:

What? And be a dupe of the conspiracy by the far left running dog lackey mainstream media not to tell you what the plain-speaking silent majority already knows?

Besides, my crayon broke.

There *are* some downsides to universal literacy, like Canada Free Press or the old National Citizens Coalition. You know, the Folks who tirelessly opposed national health care? Where Harper got his street cred as president?

But yeah, there are now a couple of amusing reviews. If music be the food of love, play on. :)

Kat and Everyone:

When I saw this ad - and realized that this was not a prank - I thought "oh boy-RF gets himself into
another controversy" - noting Lastmans Furniture - Any relation to former Mayor Mel Lastman?

Mel opened the first Bad Boy store in 1955.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back