2.8K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 600     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
My imagination fails at "fun". Wonder if the date is correct though. May 14 is a school night.

I do laugh however imagining 80s Doug Ford touting $300 with $225 rebate from the city.
So $75 for the quarter-zee, then?

Same old sh!t for the same old price, but now he's figured out how to charge the city instead of individual Folks -- and gross 4 times as much.

Abuse the process? Gravy Train? Nothing to see here, peeps. Just Etobicoke free-market entrepreneurs in action.

Why not just have a field party like back in the day and pass the hat?

Aw, cut 'em some slack. The kerning is flawless.

The font changes and pretty-much-random capitalization look almost "professional" enough to have been created by Dan Jacobs! More likely, however, the entire newsletter is a Graeme ("the weenie") McEacheran production (probably done on the same computer that, according to him, miraculously deactivates his Twitter account when shut down and reactivates it on start-up).

ETA: We "can" say with "a fair" measure of confidence "that" it was "not done" by Joey the Worm.

Last edited:
View attachment 43705

In case (1) you were thinking of attending or (2) you were thinking that it costs $525 before a rebate of $225 from the City.

Oddly, the postal code is missing. I hope that folks can find Mom's place without it.

It's a good thing they don't do these things for a living.

The font changes and pretty-much-random capitalization look almost "professional" enough to have been created by Dan Jacobs! More likely, however, the entire newsletter is a Graeme ("the weenie") MacEacheran production (probably done on the same computer that, according to him, miraculously deactivates his Twitter account when shut down and reactivates it on start-up).

ETA: We "can" say with "a fair" measure of confidence "that" it was "not done" by Joey the Worm.

I seriously doubt either Dan or Graeme would turn out something that hideous. No, this reminds me of the old print shop (not Print Shop) days when the boys in blue overalls in the back room were always happy to have a go at design & layout. It has the stamp of the entirely untrained eye let loose in a world o'fonts and clip art (proofreading optional). Some fella at Deco was only to happy to do Master Doug's bidding and crank this out for free.

Why does the rebate program make you mad? Those rebates allow people who can't afford to make a significant contribution to a campaign to participate in politics in a meaningful way. $300 towards a preferred candidate's efforts is hella better than $75, when that is all you can afford. It's a good thing for democracy, even if you don't like that the Fords benefit from it too. And people can choose to pursue the rebate or not, depending on their financial circumstances.

I do believe the rebate program should be restricted to Toronto residents, but that's a different story.

Same old sh!t for the same old price, but now he's figured out how to charge the city instead of individual Folks -- and gross 4 times as much.

Abuse the process? Gravy Train? Nothing to see here, peeps. Just Etobicoke free-market entrepreneurs in action.

That second quote sums up the problem here in a nutshell. Yes, for democracy's sake, it's good that ordinary people can contribute to the electoral process if they're so inclined, and the city's rebate program helps with that. But the Fords are stinking rich, so isn't this yet another example of them knowing the rules and abusing them for their own purely personal, selfish gain? Would it be permissible for them to save money on grocery bills by using the local food bank? After all, all that sweet 'free' food would only be going to moochers and deadbeats otherwise.

And, as with so many of their antics, can you imagine the screeching from Team Ford if a political rival they disapproved of were to pull this kind of stunt? "Adam Vaughn's wealthy, ell-eet-ist followers are all rich as shit, so they don't need no stinkin' rebates! It's gravy, folks! All gravy!!!" They'd be dining out on that for weeks at all the usual sympathetic media sources. We'd likely never hear the end of it.

And, as the first quote from Kaboi so sadly proves, intelligent, well-meaning people who should bloody well know better are still perfectly prepared to let Slob and Thug get away with these shenanigans. Presumably because it would be churlish to raise a fuss. :rolleyes:

as a point of our own personal honour, we should strive for accuracy in using someone's name

it's Graeme McEachern http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=d7d549a1c02f9410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

i too have called him a weenie but i now regret doing so... be he a weenie or be he not, i'm a try to rise above name-calling

god help me, i did enough of that in The Ford Years™

I heard that.
154738375.jpg

I seriously doubt either Dan or Graeme would turn out something that hideous. No, this reminds me of the old print shop (not Print Shop) days when the boys in blue overalls in the back room were always happy to have a go at design & layout. It has the stamp of the entirely untrained eye let loose in a world o'fonts and clip art (proofreading optional). Some fella at Deco was only to happy to do Master Doug's bidding and crank this out for free.

The invitation is embedded in the electronic (e-mailed) newsletter and I cannot find any indication that it exists in any other form or medium (e.g., printed), so I am betting that it was created by the individual who composed the newsletter using the generic publishing software referred to in the html address.

ETA: And since Graeme is the Constituency Assistant I think the odds are high that he is the culprit.

Last edited:
Last edited:
The invitation is embedded in the electronic (e-mailed) newsletter and I cannot find any indication that it exists in any other form or medium (e.g., printed), so I am betting that it was created by the individual who composed the newsletter using the generic publishing software referred to in the html address.

ETA: And since Graeme is the Constituency Assistant I think the odds are high that he is the culprit.

Nah. People under 40 don't experiment with fonts unless they are art directors or suchlike. People under 40 use arial. Multiple fonts on a single page is a legacy from the print-only pre-computer era. My money's still on some lackey from Deco's backrooms. The Fords have a long history of ugly mis-capitalized all-you-can-eat-font-buffet productions.

That second quote sums up the problem here in a nutshell. Yes, for democracy's sake, it's good that ordinary people can contribute to the electoral process if they're so inclined, and the city's rebate program helps with that. But the Fords are stinking rich, so isn't this yet another example of them knowing the rules and abusing them for their own purely personal, selfish gain? Would it be permissible for them to save money on grocery bills by using the local food bank? After all, all that sweet 'free' food would only be going to moochers and deadbeats otherwise.

And, as with so many of their antics, can you imagine the screeching from Team Ford if a political rival they disapproved of were to pull this kind of stunt? "Adam Vaughn's wealthy, ell-eet-ist followers are all rich as shit, so they don't need no stinkin' rebates! It's gravy, folks! All gravy!!!" They'd be dining out on that for weeks at all the usual sympathetic media sources. We'd likely never hear the end of it.

And, as the first quote from Kaboi so sadly proves, intelligent, well-meaning people who should bloody well know better are still perfectly prepared to let Slob and Thug get away with these shenanigans. Presumably because it would be churlish to raise a fuss. :rolleyes:

Oh I see. Because the Fords are opportunistic hypocrites, the city should do away with the rebate program altogether. That will show them. At last, the Fords will finally taste the bitter medicine.

Brilliant idea. That will totally work.

For the record, supporting the program doesn't mean letting "Slob and Thug get away with these shenanigans"....it means supporting effective democracy so that people who can barely afford $75, never mind $2500, can actually participate in the election instead of being stuck with nothing more than empty platitudes about how everyone gets a vote and isn't that all equal and stuff.

And the people spoke, by the way: the Fords barely raised anything. In spite of flogging the rebate program incessantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back