3.1K     2 
News   May 31, 2024
 1K     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jennifer Pagliaro
@jpags
It appears Doug Ford has mischaracterized a brief conversation with finance minister Charles Sousa at a recent flag-raising ceremony.

"mischaracterized" An interesting choice of words. ;)
Well colour me shocked. Not.

Daniel Dale @ddale8
Rob Ford says that if Ward 2 voters don't think he's now able to do the job, they should vote for someone else.

But Ward 2 only cares about his last name.

Daniel Dale
@ddale8
On Doug Ford promising to build the DRL first, Rob Ford says he didn't know Doug said that, but they don't agree on everything.

But they love Scarborough!

Ann Hui @annhui
Rob Ford's election prediction? Ford: 46, Tory: 36, Chow, 18 and other: 5 (It adds up to more than 100)

Ford math!

Last edited:
However, since downtown has enough sewers already, at least it's Ford Nation who will be the recipients of the cholera outbreaks under Doug Ford's sewers (x3) plan.

One of the worst things that Rob Ford brought to municipal politics is extreme polarization, and turning small scale geographical city divisions into large social and class divisions. Rob, Doug, and some of their goon squads has uttered some extremely ugly things and sentiments aimed at fellow TO citizens who lives in downtown or in the urban core. However there are some equally ugly reactions I've seen in this thread that even if written in jest. It makes me wonder if people forget that other people who are not in urban TO, or don't live in their ward, or do not vote exactly like themselves. These "others" are still TO citizens, and not automatically different or a lower species of animals.

If that sounds too kumbaya, here's a different version. I've encountered serious, un-ironic "I hate Toronto, they can all go to hell" sentiments from people outside TO and Ontario. And rest assure, they don't care about an urban or suburban divide. They hate all of TO equally. They would have no problem seeing TO have an outbreak of (real or sarcastic haha just serious) cholera downtown, or suburbs.

In case this hasn't already been posted here:

folks.png

Attachments

• folks.png
    folks.png
    398.9 KB · Views: 642
I've encountered serious, un-ironic "I hate Toronto, they can all go to hell" sentiments from people outside TO and Ontario. And rest assure, they don't care about an urban or suburban divide. They hate all of TO equally. They would have no problem seeing TO have an outbreak of (real or sarcastic haha just serious) cholera downtown, or suburbs.

Those must be the residents of Ontario (but not Toronto) who forced Amalgamation on the City and the suburbs. Those attitudes led directly to Rob Ford and his unholy nation. We are paying the price, many times over. Ontario has always resented the City of Toronto.

What signs have people seen? I passed by DMW's ward on the way home and saw his signs and some for a school trustee. In my ward, I saw some Michael Thompson signs. No Ford ones in sight.

What signs have people seen? I passed by DMW's ward on the way home and saw his signs and some for a school trustee. In my ward, I saw some Michael Thompson signs. No Ford ones in sight.

A brief drive through Ward 3 this morning - no incumbent here, but exclusively the domain of Annette Hutcheon and John Tory. Not a single other sign was out for anyone except for two of those stupid "Anyone But Chow" signs. I'm sure it will be different on my way home though.

A brief drive through Ward 3 this morning - no incumbent here, but exclusively the domain of Annette Hutcheon and John Tory. Not a single other sign was out for anyone except for two of those stupid "Anyone But Chow" signs. I'm sure it will be different on my way home though.

I received my Paula Fletcher sign this morning but was chagrined to see it also included Jennifer Storey for Trustee. I took it down.

My in-laws live in Ward 3 and their church (they are Salvation Army officers) is in Ward 2. The Ford campaign office isn't far from it.

Those must be the residents of Ontario (but not Toronto) who forced Amalgamation on the City and the suburbs. Those attitudes led directly to Rob Ford and his unholy nation. We are paying the price, many times over. Ontario has always resented the City of Toronto.

Harris and the Harrisites (is that name taken for a band yet?) did have a large part to do with it. While I do wonder if the urban\suburban resentments was always there and just outed more recently, or did it worsen with the increasing wealth gap, I doubt I can find definitive proof, because those things can not be polled with any honesty. Anecdotally speaking at least, I don't quite remember the feeling of a turf war inside the city this much. I mean some of the stuff lately is getting too close to "let them eat cake" and "let those bastards freeze to death" level of ignorance and vitriol. And I'm talking about TO residents here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back