575     1 
News   May 16, 2024
 797     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 593     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about billboards on City Hall? Those dirty blank walls of concrete could sure generate some revenue!

Perhaps an ad for this for starters?

21478_f260.jpg

It's dog food. For real.

I really wish Ford would stop referring to the CITIZENS of Toronto as taxpayers. Is that all we are? A number? Correction, a number -$60.00 VRT. Point is, if that's all we are and everything comes down to affordability, then I think the city will be a lesser place in 4 years. Fewer services, poorer services and less engaged citizens. Big Box Retail management comes to municipal politics.

It's just him pushing hot buttons and another way to put the word "tax" in his soundbites. Less explictly and no less importantly it carries a "deservedness" connotation - suggesting that representation should be tied to how much taxes one pays.

AoD

Actually, there are more than enough meetings in the private sector that's just as much "BS" - it has nothing to do with whether it is government or the private sector but more to do with the size and nature of the organization.
You're right, but I find it more common in government than in the private sector. However, YMMV.

Interestingly though, every so often these private sector organizations decide it needs to cut all that crap out, or risk going into bankruptcy. Bureaucracy costs money. OTOH, often in city bureaucracies, the bureaucracy just continues to get bigger... until everyone gets fed up.

I don't find council meetings generally a waste of time - stupid sometimes, yes, but necessary in terms of keeping things public and accountable. Where there is a lot of waste, I'd bet, is with city staff holding all-day planning meetings. Some middle managers are literally addicted to meetings and it has to stop - that's where I'd focus my efforts if I was out to stop gravy trains.
A lot of middle managers in certain organizations could be simply axed, with little effect on efficiency. Some are absolutely crucial, but many are not.

Last edited:
does city hall have free parking for the mayor and council?

Think so, but it might be a taxable benefit now (Ford reported a bunch of stuff to the CRA last year).

Speaking of: Doug Ford's car is so big that it doesn't fit in the spaces in the parking garage and so he has parked it outside, on the north side of NPS

[video=youtube;r2x0RS3P4uU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2x0RS3P4uU&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Via: http://oneillrealestate.ca/2010/11/24/is-that-rob-ford’s-car-parked-in-front-of-city-hall/

Eug:

Interestingly though, every so often these private sector organizations decides it needs to cut all that crap out, or risk going into bankruptcy. Bureaucracy costs money.

Of course it does - government is not a business - by its very nature (representation) it cannot be as efficient as the private sector (profit generation) - there is room for improvement of course, but unlike businesses, governments cannot afford to fail - the economic cost of instability is just 'rather' high.

Graphic Matt:

Speaking of: Doug Ford's car is so big that it doesn't fit in the spaces in the parking garage and so he has parked it outside, on the north side of NPS

Wonderful. I suppose rules only exists and applies for some, not all.

AoD

Last edited:
Of course it does - government is not a business - by its very nature (representation) it cannot be as efficient as the private sector (profit generation) - there is room for improvement of course, but unlike businesses, governments cannot afford to fail - the economic cost of instability is just 'rather' high.
I agree with some of your points. However I also happen to think it should not be used as an excuse for inefficiency and overspending.

Obviously, it seems the voters have thought the same way this time around. Sure it's possible that Ford will turn out to be completely useless as a money saver for the city, but it's quite clear now that the high-cost bureaucratic ways of City Council are no longer tolerable to the general public.

I suspect Ford is enacting these changes just to win political points, because I agree the amount of money saved from cancelling lunches is like a raindrop in the ocean. However, it does reflect a different approach, one very different than say Miller's whining that his office renos can't continue... something that just pisses people off.

Doug Ford should be subject to the same rules as every other councillor.

Then again I'm willing to cut him a bit of slack, maybe because he's donating his salary to charity. If he removes it immediately and follows the rules, then that's the end of it in my mind. If not, then he should be blasted in the media.

Last edited:
Then again I'm willing to cut him a bit of slack, since he's donating his salary to charity.

That's his personal choice - and that he is in a position to do so because of his personal wealth. Why would it be translated into special treatment on the part of the city? Besides, not fitting into a parking space is one thing (which can be remedied by taking up two) - parking on a space not reserved for such purposes is stretching it. What's next, open up the ramp so that he can drive to council - literally?

AoD

Last edited:
That's his personal choice - and that he is in a position to do so because of his personal wealth. Why would it be translated into special treatment on the part of the city?
No, which is why I added this part to my post just before you added your post:

"If he removes it immediately and follows the rules, then that's the end of it in my mind. If not, then he should be blasted in the media."

That I do agree on - removing it immediately and it should no longer be an issue. The issue of him donating his income from the city to charity shouldn't even be raised as an argument for the act.

AoD

Think so, but it might be a taxable benefit now (Ford reported a bunch of stuff to the CRA last year).

well, if parking is free, ford should put an end to it like coffee and sandwiches, lest he be inconsistent.

More on Ford's fiscal plans. From the Post:

The mayor said he wouldn’t accept that. “We don’t foresee any service cuts at all,” Mayor Ford said repeatedly. “Whatever term you want to use minor or major, we have the money.” He also wants to “hold the line” on user fees, and says he won’t lay off workers, although the city will reduce the civil service by not filling in positions after employees retire.

Ruling out service cuts, user fees, and property tax hikes. That pretty much leaves raiding reserves, commercial rates, and magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back