1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 356     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 918     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe we should stop Transit City and put money into literacy and critical thinking.

But noooo, Harper actually cut federal support to cities for adult and newcomer literacy programmes years ago.

Small government, WOOOOO!!! *crushes Molson can on forehead*

I love streetcars and lrt's, but realize that the densities of most of Toronto just aren't suited for them. Montreal, otoh, is a different story.... Perhaps what Toronto does need is Vancouver-style trolley buses?

So I think the city will become better by making transit worse for those that live in suburban areas of the city--it will force those that rely on transit to eventually move closer to downtown; or, developers to build more 5s walkups in the suburban areas, which of course would bring about more people that would make lrt's profitable.

So I think the city will become better by making transit worse for those that live in suburban areas of the city--it will force those that rely on transit to eventually move closer to downtown;
That would exacerbate the marginalization of a large number of people who can't afford to live closer to downtown.

or, developers to build more 5s walkups in the suburban areas, which of course would bring about more people that would make lrt's profitable.
This will probably happen, but in reverse.

watching the first play by play of the incoming administration in regards to TTC / TransitCity policy... they are saying that they want to cancel TransitCity in favour of subway development. On the surface this sounds atleast somewhat reasonable. But when you consider the signed agreements and contracts and the fact that the Province is saying they dont have any money on top of what was already committed, it starts to make one wonder. Perhaps this pro subway talk is just a subtrafuge which in reality will equate to no spending on transit expansion ( a hidden agenda?) Meanwhile when it all blows up Ford can still claim that he wanted subways and it's the province's fault for not backing that plan... any thoughts?

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. Ford is not that stupid. I bet that is what's going to happen. (unless McGuinty doesn't go along with the plan)

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. Ford is not that stupid. I bet that is what's going to happen. (unless McGuinty doesn't go along with the plan)

I'd put some stock in this theory too, especially because it could give the Mayors Ford license to campaign for Hudak in Toronto. I bet Hudak will promise subway extension through partnerships with the private sector.

I'd put some stock in this theory too, especially because it could give the Mayors Ford license to campaign for Hudak in Toronto. I bet Hudak will promise subway extension through partnerships with the private sector.

Yep, it's a no-brainer to me. Do nothing and blame McGuinty or the private sector, when Hudak's calls for private partnerships goes unanswered. (Can't blame Hudak if the private sector doesn't step up to the plate) Look what happened in Regent Park when the private sector was asked to partner with the city. Only ONE company showed any interest. (Daniels) The rest of them turned their backs on the city, so we all know the private sector is not always the answer.

It seems like doing nothing is the win/win situation for politicians.

Last edited:
It seems like doing nothing is the win/win situation for politicians.

it's ironic that politicians are always worried about the examples being sent to children.

Look what happened in Regent Park when the private sector was asked to partner with the city. Only ONE company showed any interest. (Daniels) The rest of them turned their backs on the city, so we all know the private sector is not always the answer.

An even better example is hydro. Harris opened the system to privatization, but after a few years private companies had only taken over one minor power station. It turned out that private companies couldn't actually generate power at a much cheaper rate, and they couldn't compete with OPG. When McGuinty came in, rather than cancel the scheme, his government made sweetheart deals with private producers, guaranteeing usage levels and minimum rates. As a result we have a lot of new, cheap, and short term gas plants and hydro rates that have been shooting up.

Last edited:
Dont get it, at one time the majority of the UT forumers were behind Subway systems being built and not second rated LRT lines..now that Rob Ford is in many of them are up in arms against LRT lines being scrapped for Subways. Makes me think that they zigzag betwen liking and hating the people that run Toronto, than what is right for Toronto.

Actually, I don't sense much change--probably because more UTers than you're betting on were/are more or less indifferent on the subway vs LRT question...

It really does not make any fiscal sense to cancel the entire TC project. To do so just because RF decreed it, really makes one wonder about his business acumen and ultimately his platform of respecting the taxpayer.
Regardless of the funding source, may it be municipal, provincial or federal, it is coming from the taxpayer....US!

Don Cherry to introduce Rob Ford at first council meeting - Wow, he hasn't been mayor for a week and his cringeworthy behaviour is already giving Lastman's famous gaffes serious competition. When I first spotted this article I thought it had been written by the Onion.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/12/03/don-cherry-to-introduce-rob-ford-at-first-council-meeting/

Don Cherry to introduce Rob Ford at first council meeting
Pat McGrath/Postmedia News

Don Cherry will introduce new Toronto mayor Rob Ford at the first city council meeting.

Natalie Alcoba December 3, 2010 – 8:01 am

Mayor Rob Ford has invited Don Cherry to introduce him at his inaugural council meeting at City Hall on Tuesday.

The Mayor will receive the Chains of Office at the ceremonial event, and make his first address to the assembled councillors. Less than 48 hours later, the Mayor will jump on key planks from his campaign during the first meeting of his executive.

On the agenda: repealing the vehicle registration tax, slashing the office budget of the mayor and elected officials, and naming the Toronto Transit Commission an essential service. The executive will also deal with a report released in the summer that recommended the mayor’s salary increase by 9%, to $183,604. During the campaign, Mr. Ford said he opposed the increase.

Read more: http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/1...-ford-at-first-council-meeting/#ixzz175kW57yk

*Prediction:

There will be a fomenting of anti Ford unrest in Council as the new year unfolds and the pressures of the fast tracked new budget builds. By February (and maybe sooner) there could even be a strong ant-Ford block consisting of roughly 20-24 councillors headed by Adam Vaughn and some others like Mihevic and Fletcher who will do everything they can to box in the antics, whims and petulant pronouncements of the Mayor-King.

When spring rolls around and the 2011 budget squeeze threatens the running of Toronto's big festivals like Luminato and Pride, as well as basic programs and services like parks, public pools and libraries, the media shit storm will crank into overdrove and there will be major demonstrations at City Hall by all manner of aggrieved groups. The urban/suburban civil war will be in full throttle and things will get very ugly.

Put on your seatbelts--it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back