2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 502     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be hilarious if the Star put in a bid to buy that parkland next to Ford's house.

Yes, they could claim logistical reasons. Catching every bumbling move is such a demanding task they needed a satellite location next to his house.

Skipping the flag-raising ceremony is pathetic, and it's sad that doing so may actually win him votes among certain intolerant minorities. I stand corrected on that particular issue.

Who are these "certain intolerant minorities"? I think I understand what you're saying, but I'd respond that individuals are intolerant; abstract groupings of people aren't anything but convenient categories that gloss over individual voices and diversity of opinion/belief. Besides, who really qualifies as a "minority" in the Toronto of today?

This kind of Pim Fortuyn-esque us-and-them thinking is hypocritical at best.

For what? Expecting the same right to privacy that every citizen enjoys? Criticize his politics as much as you want but give the man (and his family) some privacy.

how about tampering with evidence ...

* according to dale, his phone was dead but RF re-charged and used it to call some councillor after the incident that night.
* someone moved the cinder blocks ... the before and after photos clearly show that

Threatening someone with violence and demanding they give you their phone - while on public property - is certainly a chargeable offence.

Dale has said he has no interest in pressing charges, however. Which is nice of him.

Its very disappointing that Dale does not plan to lay charges if police won't (and we know the police are not going to charge Ford).

Dale says he just wants to get on with his job but how can he do that if the Mayor ignores his questions and threatens to blackball all City Hall media at any scrum where Dale appears (a promise Ford made good on with the latest weigh-in) ?

Worse than the initial encounter in the park - which can be considered an assault (and possession of stolen property if Ford made the call from the phone) is what happened afterwards.

Rob and Doug accused Dale of peeping over the fence and taking pictures. They made ugly insinuations essentially accusing Dale of being a deviant with interest in Rob Fords young children.

Rob Ford claimed that his neighbors saw Dale perched on cinder blocks taking pictures over the fence.

To reinforce this claim Rob Ford brought reporters to a spot behind his property to show off a stack of cinder blocks (re-arranged from the night before as caught on camera!)

Based on this claim by Rob Ford of illegality on the part of Daniel Dale, the police conducted what was essentially a peeping tom investigation. The Police investigator confirmed to Dale that if there had been evidence that Dale peered over the fence and took pictures he would have been charged !

According to the latest from the STAR the neighbors now refuse to confirm Fords allegations. Did the neighbors actually see Dale perched on cinder blocks peering over the fence taking pictures or did Rob Ford make this up?

This is no trivial question. The claim that Dale took pictures over the fence is essentially a claim that Dale committed a crime.

Police have reviewed the video and blackberry and have concluded that there is no evidence of a crime (the video in particular would be very conclusive).

In essence the Police have concluded that the allegations against Dale is false. It is a very serious criminal offense to falsely report a crime to police when no such crime has taken place. It is called public mischief and punishment can include up to five years imprisonment . Either Rob Ford or his neighbor MUST be charged with this offense.

From the criminal code of Canada:

Public mischief

140. (1) Every one commits public mischief who, with intent to mislead, causes a peace officer to enter on or continue an investigation by

(a) making a false statement that accuses some other person of having committed an offence;

(b) doing anything intended to cause some other person to be suspected of having committed an offence that the other person has not committed, or to divert suspicion from himself;

(c) reporting that an offence has been committed when it has not been committed; or

(d) reporting or in any other way making it known or causing it to be made known that he or some other person has died when he or that other person has not died.

Punishment

(2) Every one who commits public mischief

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years; or

(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 140; R.S., 1985, c. 27 (1st Supp.), s. 19.

Last edited:
I think Ford probably should have been charged too, but it really hinges on the surveillance camera evidence, which only Metro Police is privy to. At the very least the Fords should offer a public apology to Dale for the slanderous comments they made in the media about him. As for Dale charging Ford I think it's a bad idea. There's enough bad blood between the Fords & the Toronto Star, it doesn't need a match to ignite a fire as it serves no one in the end except Dale if he holds his head high and rises above their nonsense like a proud man who has been cleared of any wrongdoing.

how about tampering with evidence ...

* according to dale, his phone was dead but RF re-charged and used it to call some councillor after the incident that night.
* someone moved the cinder blocks ... the before and after photos clearly show that

I don't recall the media harassing David Miller at home repeatedly. Why harass this mayor? Because you disagree with his politics? Seems over the line to me.

Who exactly is harassing Ford at his home repeatedly?

So far, the only real outsider (i.e. no sister's ex-boyfriends or anything) "harassment at home" we know of has been Marg Delahunty. And Miller was never involved in a contentious land-parcel-grab re his own home--and besides, you might as well label *all* Ford-home-rubberneckers (and you can be sure there's plenty of those at this point) to be "harassers"...

Its very disappointing that Dale does not plan to lay charges if police won't (and we know the police are not going to charge Ford).

Even if Dale press charges against Ford, the charges that stick are not going to amount to anything grand to get him out of office

For what? Expecting the same right to privacy that every citizen enjoys? Criticize his politics as much as you want but give the man (and his family) some privacy.
What are you talking about? Rob Ford ran into a public park, threatened to violently assault someone who was just doing their job on public property. He made threats to the person to hand over their electronics, blocking them from leaving. He then made false stories to the police and media about what happened.

What private citizen has the right to break so many laws, in such a short period of time, to someone who has done nothing wrong?

I don't recall the media harassing David Miller at home repeatedly.
I don't recall any member of the media repeatedly harassing Rob Ford at home. What are you talking about?

Dale has said he has no interest in pressing charges, however. Which is nice of him.
Whether Dale is interested in pressing charges shouldn't be a factor in whether police press charges. Dale has said he is co-operating with the police, and the police should still charge Rob Ford for these vicious crimes that he committed.

You don't decide to not charge a wife-beater because the wife doesn't want to press charges. This is a similar situation, with a relationship between the two people, where the victim may be reluctant to press charges, because it might impact him as well.

Last edited:
CN Tower:

I don't recall the media harassing David Miller at home repeatedly.

I don't recall that a) David Miller restricting media access to him in official settings to such a degree and b) David Miller getting himself into umpteen personal issues that would warrant media coverage. Not like he tried to snap up public property from the TRCA.

AoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back