1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 369     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 945     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Well, it is clear to a lot of us that the Ford supporters elected someone who is incapable.

The loss for Ford is incalculable. Council has behaved responsibly, spending what they know they can spend. Ford has behaved irresponsibly all along, when pressed for a finance plan for his subways.

I'm glad to see Council asserting themselves over the mayor. It's a huge relief, but damn, I wish we weren't going through this. What wasted time this has been. Let's remember it in 2014.

Problem is that the public does not understand Municipal politics like they do Provincial or Federal. Maybe they know the rules but do not understand how a consensus must be built.

Both provincially and federally, the leader campaigns for a platform and generally you expect them to deliver if they win. For example;

2006 - Harper promised to scrap long gun registry
2002 - McGuinty promised no new taxes
1995 - Harris promised to cut taxes by 30%
1993 - Chretien promised to replace the GST
1988 - Mulroney promised to introduce Free Trade.

People can understand that the leader can be held responsible for their promises, unless they achieve a minority, in which case there is some understanding that things may not go as promised.

Municipally, it is like a continuous minority government. Regardless of how much the mayor wins by, he is only one vote and essentially he is in a minority situation. This requires much more back room dealing and trade-offs. Obviously the public does not like this type of politics - as evidenced by the lower voter turn out for municipal elections (typically 35% to 40% compared to typically 60% for provincial and federal).

People do not have time to study the positions of their individual councillors (which must be done in person at candidates meetings) and typically pay the most attention to the mayor race (which is covered by the television and print media since it is too difficult for the media to cover each individual ward). Realizing that the mayor does not have the power to enact their mandate, makes people feel that their vote does not matter.

Perhaps party politics in municipal government is the solution. That way it would be a more unified goverment that could make better decisions for the long term benefit of the city, instead of relying on trading favours and votes between councillors. In mostly Liberal or NDP Toronto, I am sure Ford could not have got in under the PC banner.

Perhaps party politics in municipal government is the solution. That way it would be a more unified goverment that could make better decisions for the long term benefit of the city, instead of relying on trading favours and votes between councillors. In mostly Liberal or NDP Toronto, I am sure Ford could not have got in under the PC banner.
Party politics would be horrible at the municipal level. It's already bad enough at the provincial and federal level whereby it completely eliminates local representation, which is the foundation for our government system. Municipal politicians in a ward system are meant to represent the people of their respective ward. Under a party system they can't do that due to party loyalty. It also creates divisions and pits "us versus them", which has been the biggest problem with this current mayor. The best governments are minority governments that involve consensus building and compromises. Politics iss not about who wins or loses (which is exactly what party politics is about and is the biggest problem with our current democracy in this country). It's about ensuring that the most voices and the best solutions are taken into account and emerge.

Put it this way, the sanity that has prevailed over Ford over the last few months would never have happened in a party system without some sort of revolt within the party. Toronto would be in a much worse position and we should be thankful that our politicians have the ability to be flexible, to think for themselves (for the most part) and to listen to their constituents.

Found this hilarious video on YouTube. I can't help but get the feeling that Just For Laughs was making fun of a certain Toronto politician we all love.

[video=youtube;l-q0vOFy99A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=l-q0vOFy99A[/video]

Last edited:
The argument that St. Clair is an example of why we shouldn't build LRTs is bizarre. As if the same sort of cost overruns aren't likely when you build a subway. It's like saying that the re-do of the mink mile is an example of how we should never build sidewalks again, and put all of our focus on the PATH.

The argument that St. Clair is an example of why we shouldn't build LRTs is bizarre. As if the same sort of cost overruns aren't likely when you build a subway. It's like saying that the re-do of the mink mile is an example of how we should never build sidewalks again, and put all of our focus on the PATH.

i was at a 'town hall' meeting for the scarborough ttc lrt/subway proposal.

the ttc rep indicated that the st. clair lrt was actually on budget but the added costs came from beautification, etc ... issues not directly related to the building of the lrt.

If we were to simply expand that concept, then anything could be mismanaged, and therefore we should do nothing
Isn't this a core belief for Ford and his supporters in Tim Horton's queues everywhere? His passion is far more anti-LRT than it was ever pro-subway. He'd be overjoyed to build nothing. If the public sector doesn't want to build it, it isn't worth building, and if they do then the role of government is to get out of the way and maybe then kick funds towards the private developers. I can't think of anything that he wants the government to be actively involved in doing.

From the Star:
Outside judge will hear Mayor Rob Ford’s conflict of interest case

A judge from another jurisdiction will be called in to hear Mayor Rob Ford’s conflict of interest case.

The hearing, which is expected to last about three days, could take place as early as September.

Lawyers for both parties appeared at 393 University Ave. Friday morning to set a date.

They are back on April 11 to hear the outside judge’s availability.

more...
http://www.thestar.com/news/article...yor-rob-ford-s-conflict-of-interest-case?bn=1

The Globe and Mail: Toronto's Mayor Ford vows to 'lead the charge' in halting light-rail transit

One day after losing the fight to save his subway plan at council, the mayor said he is prepared to “lead the charge,” for the taxpayers he says would rather have no new transit than an above-ground line.

"I am going to do everything in my power to stop the LRTs from going in on Sheppard and Eglinton because I love the people of Scarborough and they said fight and I am going to fight," he told radio station AM 640 Friday morning. "I am going to look at anything that can stop the LRTs."
Work has begun on the buried section of the Eglinton line in the west end, but Mr. Ford estimates it will take about five years for construction crews to reach Scarborough, time he will use to try to halt the plan. "I've got a few things that I am going to be working on," said the mayor, refusing to tip his hand.
Mr. Ford is still hopeful the province will step in to stop the light-rail plan. "I will be shocked, I will be absolutely shocked if the premier does not listen to the taxpayers," he said.

I am going to do everything in my power...

What little of it he has left. I think we have reached the STFU moment at this point - time for concerned citizens (not just "taxpayers") to engage this target and finish him off for good before he can damage the city further than he already has.

AoD

Last edited:
Isn't this a core belief for Ford and his supporters in Tim Horton's queues everywhere? His passion is far more anti-LRT than it was ever pro-subway.

Ford's core belief (and I don't know how compatible this is with his so-called supporters) is rooted in the car, and how he perceives everything else affects it. This is what dictates his position on public transit.

Yes, I believe he would prefer to do nothing, which is why we see him advocating cutting TTC budgets, when it's obvious it needs increasing. But in this case, it is about $8.4 billion of provincial funding that has to be spent on public transit infrastructure in the City of Toronto. Of course he wants it all spent on a subway, as he sees subways as having the most benign effect on the car. He doesn't care about what's the best choice from the perspective of public transit. And building subways in corridors that don't have sufficient ridership to justify it also erodes the TTC's operational budget, forcing them to cut surface route service and raise fares, which he also sees as a plus for cars. This lowers ridership and therefore the need to allocate capital budget funds purchasing new vehicles.

It isn't so much that Rob Ford is stupid (which he surely is)...but that he's simple-minded.

Ford's core belief (and I don't know how compatible this is with his so-called supporters) is rooted in the car, and how he perceives everything else affects it. This is what dictates his position on public transit.

Yes, I believe he would prefer to do nothing, which is why we see him advocating cutting TTC budgets, when it's obvious it needs increasing. But in this case, it is about $8.4 billion of provincial funding that has to be spent on public transit infrastructure in the City of Toronto. Of course he wants it all spent on a subway, as he sees subways as having the most benign effect on the car. He doesn't care about what's the best choice from the perspective of public transit. And building subways in corridors that don't have sufficient ridership to justify it also erodes the TTC's operational budget, forcing them to cut surface route service and raise fares, which he also sees as a plus for cars. This lowers ridership and therefore the need to allocate capital budget funds purchasing new vehicles.

It isn't so much that Rob Ford is stupid (which he surely is)...but that he's simple-minded.

Essentially, I believe that you are correct in your summation here, freshcutgrass. Such a mindset exists, and I have seen it up close in my suburban, outer-416 ("Willowdale") cousin.

In a nutshell, that's what we're faced with. Some concept of "city", heh?

^ Well, it is clear to a lot of us that the Ford supporters elected someone who is incapable.

The loss for Ford is incalculable. Council has behaved responsibly, spending what they know they can spend. Ford has behaved irresponsibly all along, when pressed for a finance plan for his subways.

I'm glad to see Council asserting themselves over the mayor. It's a huge relief, but damn, I wish we weren't going through this. What wasted time this has been. Let's remember it in 2014.

IMO it's not wasted time. We all needed a lesson in the workings and hierarchy of municipal politics, especially any future mayoral candidates. Brooms and boiling pots aside, city government under Miller, Lastman, etc. was never this interesting or exciting.

OT, am I the only one who thinks Stintz is cute? Notwithstanding the dreadful photos the Sun finds. They'd make a super model look ugly.

Hello neighbour. I disagree. It is wasted time.

We've witnessed a series of stupid standoffs, and in the end, democracy has won (as I predicted it would) all the while we've had to slap down a mayor who fancied that he could concoct his own "strong mayor" system which is not the system used in Ontario.

And at the end of the day, we have Transit City back.

I didn't need such a lesson in our way of democracy. Maybe those inclined to cast a stupid vote learned something, but I seriously doubt that :( .

Re. Stintz - you may indeed be the only one who thinks she's cute, and more power to you! I see her as very valuable and far more than a package.

Last edited:
IMO it's not wasted time. We all needed a lesson in the workings and hierarchy of municipal politics, especially any future mayoral candidates. Brooms and boiling pots aside, city government under Miller, Lastman, etc. was never this interesting or exciting.

Partially agreed. If anything, it also reminds citizens why a weak mayor system can be effective, that there is a check of power if we have a total power hungry retard manning the ship.

Speaking of which, I'm assuming the council can censure the mayor, but does it carry any consequences? If he insists on being a hard obstructionist then off with his head. (not literally)

Ford and his brother are swiftly becoming poisonous to Toronto. They've been crude troublemakers from the start, but are now threatening to actually destroy the work of council. After all this.

They are hostile to proper procedure, planning, logic and and the rule of law. They are hostile to urbanity, beauty, culture and intellectualism. They are tarted-up loudmouths, myopic, vain and self-satisfied thugs who sow discord. Pig-headed hoser elite who can neither think nor speak.

All this time and money wasted and people are exhausted - for what? Not for a real progressive triumph, not for some truly stunning accomplishment - but simply to get things back to normal and keep civic procedure in place. All of this tense, draining and divisive effort just to keep things from breaking apart and sinking into a morass of deep confusion.

So much effort in Toronto now is going into trying to keep the city from just politically and socially falling apart. This is directly due to the Ford's antagonistic, provocative stupidity.

We have an entire city to run here with a myriad of delicate issues to attend to, but you'd hardly know it, the way Ford keeps bellowing the word 'subway' like a monomaniac.

This is not only not leadership, this is gross incompetence - even, perhaps, mental illness.

Time and progress are not standing still. The entire world is spinning forward, inventing, implementing and progressing technically. We are not keeping up. Toronto needs beauty and innovation with ease of implementation. Also, socially, we may be slipping. Tolerance, goodwill, culture, intelligence - these just don't maintain themselves, and the current administration wants nothing to do with them. Financially, I worry that despite the raw propulsion of the construction industry here, Toronto is looking less and less like a safe, sane and steady bet in which to invest. The division between upper and lower classes continues to grow across the city. In all these things, we have heard nothing from Ford(s) about any practical, advanced, nor comprehensive plans to engender the complex solutions needed by the multiple issues that face us.

So much poison has already been spilt over this subway issue, I worry about political discourse in this city - and it's allaround situation - for the next decade. However, if Ford gets the boot - or if council takes clear steps to shut him out, perhaps some of the trouble might be alleviated.

Unless Ford has some kind of entirely unexpected awakening, changes course, and apologizes to the city for his actions, I can't see things getting better for some time. And this is directly the fault of Ford, his supporters and the media outlets that that grossly support him as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back